Which AVA preamp with the SET 120 ?

Leifer

Which AVA preamp with the SET 120 ?
« on: 25 Mar 2019, 06:15 am »
I have a new SET 120.
I am wondering what differences I might expect between a Solid State AVA preamp, vs. the hybrid or fully tubed versions ?
I don't consider myself a "glass head", but read on......

BACKGROUND....
15 years ago I used a tubed pre.. ...Audible Illusions Modulus II and I liked it a lot. But then I got into DIY, and  built/designed a full functioning preamp with balanced in/outs using a simple opamp circuit with a LH0033 power buffer in the loop.

Right now, I'm using the SET 120 through a CIAudio PLC*1 passive pre/selector, and my RME soundcard with output levels being either...
-10 dBV
+4 dBu
Hi Gain
(I'm using the +4 dBu setting, RME software  levels set at 0dB)
It sounds really good.

I could just leave it like this, but other passive input sources may have different gain, etc.
This is the reason for considering an active preamp, before the SET 120.

Speakers used are Dynaudio Special 40 (86dB) and a Dynaudio Sub3 (sub set to a rather low loudness level).

« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2019, 08:03 am by Leifer »

Leifer

Re: Which AVA preamp with the SET 120 ?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2019, 09:09 am »
I'm not asking anyone to tell me what I might hear, per se......
 > but are there some standard subtle differences in the SS vs. Tube models ?
....that several people agree on ?
What would those differences be ?

avahifi

• Facilitator
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2019, 02:51 pm »
Either our Vision RB solid state or Transcendence 10 RB tube preamp work great with the Vision SET 120.  Either is $899

The Vision RB is no more "dreaded solid state" sounding than the SET 120  - - - just very clear and musical.

The T10 RB has a bit of warmer tube flavor, but certainly not overdone.

At the risk of not selling you a preamp at all, I should mention that we can easily increase the gain of the SET 120 simply by changing two resistor values to have it work better with a passive volume control.

Frank

Leifer

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2019, 06:20 am »
Thanks Frank V.

But I'm going to use the passive CIAudio line controller and their amp for a remote work location -- It's small and semi-portable.
So it will not live in my main "home" system.
Expect a preamp order from me, soon.

PS.... I don't think SS is dreaded. After all, most music is recorded in SS, with perhaps hundreds of chip opamps ({edit:..}  before it ever reaches your ears at home ). So what's the last good opamp (discrete or chip) gonna change things ?

You can't enhance detail or resolution from a fixed source ......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2019, 01:59 am by Leifer »

Charles Calkins

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2019, 02:55 pm »
Thanks Frank V.

But I'm going to use the passive CIAudio line controller and their amp for a remote work location -- It's small and semi-portable.
So it will not live in my main "home" system.
Expect a preamp order from me, soon.

PS.... I don't think SS is dreaded. After all, most music is recorded in SS, with perhaps hundreds of chip opamps...... so what's the last good opamp (discrete or chip) gonna change things ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk

Buy the 10 RB from Frank. I have one and it is the very best pre amp I ever had.
   My system before was there and sounded pretty good. Now with the new pre amp it sounds GREAT!!!

Birdbrain

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2019, 06:41 pm »
If you need more inputs/outputs than the T10 RB, there is a T10 SLR for $1299 that isn't on the website. That's what I'm using with my SET 120, and I am very happy with this combination. The only possible drawback is the amp has a black faceplate and the preamp is silver. Doesn't bother me at all, just thought I should mention it.