Glass, plastic, brasss, aluminum isolation?

chgolatin2

Glass, plastic, brasss, aluminum isolation?
« on: 5 Mar 2007, 06:08 pm »
With so many tweak options what works best, I have heard so many variables to brass isolation of components, maple, etc etc etc.  Doing some research I have found some cheap solutions to isolating my components (Maple) for my speakers.  Brass spikes for my speakers now I am looking into glass

Here are a couple of cost effective approach that I have found during my research:

Ebay maple item #120092997874   
Ebay brass isolation cones #280090083911   

I have even found glass isolation spikes, nice and fat and aluminum but I dont know much about glass and aluminum qualities to isolate components, any experience or knowledge of these products???? I would really like to know!  With so many options what really works best?  Is it an opinion base subject or a scientific approach to isolation of your components?  Does spending more money really means your getting the best or  "we" are just making unwise decisions?  I consdier myself a blue collar worker, working for the City of Chicago as a Firefighter doesnt mean that I am rich but I do have to take a conservative approach to making my music sound best with the lowest cost as possible, not being CHEAP just conservative on how I spend my hard earned money.

Just looking for honest advise on tweaks, especially isolation of components.  Thanks to all in advance

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Glass, plastic, brasss, aluminum isolation?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2007, 06:31 pm »
I think that a lot of it depends on which school of thought you're going with - massive to stop vibrations from getting in or flexible to absorb things.

Bryan

gooberdude

Re: Glass, plastic, brasss, aluminum isolation?
« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2007, 06:40 pm »
sometimes you also want to get the internal vibrations out, and then suspend 'that' contraption as well  aa

My guess is that each component will react differently to difft materials.  A lot depends on your floor, your speakers, the room, listening habits, etc, etc

For my system, i stay with the materials which many musical instruments are made out of:  brass & tonewood.    they seem to sound the best in particular applications.

But, this tweakier side of the hobby has a lot of variables.

Check the archives here and at audioasylum in the Tweaker's Asylum.

glass and aluminum?  sounds like 2 hard materials...doubt they'd do well to isolate.  Couple maybe, not isolate though.     

Often, you'll find that most generic spikes are simply to hold components steady, or to get them off the carpet...they aren't engineered for any other purpose.   to my ears these types of spikes usually sound bad.