Walker SST

Wellfed

Walker SST
« Reply #20 on: 5 Sep 2004, 03:13 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
Quote from: Kim S.
Water got into the connections and with the SST shorted them out cutting the signal completely. After I removed the SST there was no problem.  

Yeah, this is why I am not rushing to try SST.  All the reported sonic gains are tempting.  But the fact is, it can, and does cause problems.  There's a guy up the road who caught one of his Piega Limiteds on FIRE after an SST application.  Whether that was his fault for not applying it correctly, I don't know, and am not willing to guess.

Assuming this is the same "Piega guy" that posted this difficulty on Audio Asylum, he quickly retracted his assertion that the difficulty was caused by Walker SST as originally presumed.

Hantra

Walker SST
« Reply #21 on: 5 Sep 2004, 04:19 pm »
Quote from: Wellfed
Assuming this is the same "Piega guy" that posted this difficulty on Audio Asylum, he quickly retracted his assertion that the difficulty was caused by Walker SST as originally presumed.

No doubt.  After I realized that I was going to have to file an insurance claim, and the manufacturer wasn't going to eat the cost of my tweaking fun, I would have tried my best to delete that post too.

Wellfed

Walker SST
« Reply #22 on: 6 Sep 2004, 01:00 pm »
Quote from: Wellfed

No doubt.  After I realized that I was going to have to file an insurance claim, and the manufacturer wasn't going to eat the cost of my tweaking fun, I would have tried my best to delete that post too.

Well that is certainly reading between the lines.  He didn't delete his post, he retracted his statement that the SST was the culprit and attibuted it to another cause.

Hantra

Walker SST
« Reply #23 on: 6 Sep 2004, 02:19 pm »
It's pretty clear man from Walker's site that this CAN happen.  So why argue about it?

ooheadsoo

Walker SST
« Reply #24 on: 6 Sep 2004, 04:08 pm »
What do you guys think of putting this stuff on your xover solder connections?  Mapleshade recommends doing the quick disconnects on the drivers, though I have those hard soldered too.  I have half a mind to get some of the mapleshade stuff and apply it to my foil inductor joints which I don't quite trust.

The Killer Piglet

• http://www.next-technology.com/
Walker SST
« Reply #25 on: 6 Sep 2004, 06:24 pm »
I've used the Siltec from Mampleshade, and you'd have to be very careless to cause a short on anything. If you use common sense you'll be OK. Don't paste it on or glob it on. If you are familiar (or make yourself familiar) with a technique knows as "dry brushing" you won't have any issues.

KP

EProvenzano

Walker SST
« Reply #26 on: 6 Sep 2004, 09:12 pm »
Does anyone know where I could read the Walker application instructions?
...or if someone doesn't mind breifly listing them here, I'd really appreciated it!

Thanks
EP

Wellfed

Walker SST
« Reply #27 on: 6 Sep 2004, 09:33 pm »
It's pretty clear man from Walker's site that this CAN happen.  So why argue about it?

My point is that it is easy to jump to an erroneous conclusion and this guy went out of his way to clarify that the Walker SST was not the reason for his ribbon driver frying.  I wouldn't argue against your point that extreme caution is prudent when applying this type of tweak.  BTW, I have not tried this product yet myself.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
Walker SST
« Reply #28 on: 6 Sep 2004, 09:36 pm »
Here is another alternative to paying $70 for Walker SST:http://www.2spi.com/catalog/vac/silver-filled-grease-techdata.html">Silver Grease

I might try this stuff out to see how it does.  It is supposed to help conductivity.

Gordy

Walker SST
« Reply #29 on: 6 Sep 2004, 11:59 pm »
Hi EProv!  As near as I can recall, these are the supplied instructions:

http://www.walkeraudio.com/sst.htm

ooheadsoo

Walker SST
« Reply #30 on: 7 Sep 2004, 12:14 am »
Quote from: heavystarch
Here is another alternative to paying $70 for Walker SST:http://www.2spi.com/catalog/vac/silver-filled-grease-techdata.html">Silver Grease

I might try this stuff out to see how it does.  It is supposed to help conductivity.

The mapleshade stuff is actually a lot cheaper.  The silver grease you listed is $40 for 6.5 grams.

EProvenzano

Walker SST
« Reply #31 on: 7 Sep 2004, 02:44 am »
Quote from: Gordy
Hi EProv!  As near as I can recall, these are the supplied instructions:

http://www.walkeraudio.com/sst.htm

Thanks Gordy.  I don't know how I missed it, or maybe I did read it and didn't see what all the fuss was about...I mean, it doesn't appear that hard to apply properly.

Hmm...a bit spendy for me tho.
I have a bottle of Caig De-oxit. I have never tried using it as a contact enhancer, more as a cleaner. Maybe I'll give it a shot to see if I notice some improvement.

Are tube pins the single best place to do a test for maximum benefit???

BR,
EP

Gordy

Walker SST
« Reply #32 on: 7 Sep 2004, 03:19 am »
Quote from: EProvenzano

it doesn't appear that hard to apply properly.

Hmm...a bit spendy for me tho.

Are tube pins the single best place to do a test for maximum benefit???

BR,
EP

It is a snap, the supplied applicators are excellent IMO.  Just use the smallest of dabs on the foam and even the tube pins are easy.

You could very easily split a jar with someone, do your entire system and still have some left over.  What little I sent off to Lonewolf was maybe 10% of what I had left after treating 6 tubes, 10 sets of IC's and 6 sets of spk. cables.  

I can't really comment on what's the single best place to start as I did my main system all at once, except AC and fuses, which my lazy a$$ still hasn't got around to :lol:  

hope this helped!
Gordy

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Walker SST
« Reply #33 on: 7 Sep 2004, 03:24 am »
And I still have some Gordy!!! Tube pins are where I started...and you could hear the difference right away. Then on to PC's, SC, IC's. It worked... and only a very light coating was needed !! :)

Gordy

Walker SST
« Reply #34 on: 7 Sep 2004, 03:31 am »
Tres 8)

Sa-dono

Re: SST and Mapleshade
« Reply #35 on: 7 Sep 2004, 09:22 am »
Quote from: djbnh
It would be an interesting discussion if the two products were the same but branded differently. However, I'm not quite sure they are indeed the same product.  :?:

If there is a source within either company that can provide a definitive answer, or if someone else can, I'm sure followers of this thread would be interested.

I have talked to a person that has compared both products. I was told that both improved performance in the same manner, but that SST had more of an effect on performance, than SilClear. Also, talking to another source, I am told that SST is easier to apply than SilClear. So it would indeed appear there is something to the additional cost of SST. Given Walker's history of finding products and improving upon them, this does not exactly surprise me.

As to concerns of applying SST, this is really nothing to worry about. As long as you read the instructions, and use a little caution, you should have no problems at all. Just like alcohol, and many other things, "Everything in moderation." While alcohol can have its negative effects, you don't see the majority of people abstaining from it. :mrgreen: SST is definitely one of the cheapest and most cost-effective tweaks out there...and something that must be tried in your system. :thumb:

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
Walker SST
« Reply #36 on: 8 Sep 2004, 06:49 am »
Quote from: ooheadsoo
Quote from: heavystarch

The mapleshade stuff is actually a lot cheaper.  The silver grease you listed is $40 for 6.5 grams.

thanks for pointing that out to me Head!   :wink:

ooheadsoo

Walker SST
« Reply #37 on: 8 Sep 2004, 07:12 am »
Np :)   I feel tempted to try silclear, but I must resist somehow.  Hopefully I can last a month  :P

Mad DOg

Walker SST
« Reply #38 on: 8 Sep 2004, 07:32 am »
Quote from: ooheadsoo
Np :)   I feel tempted to try silclear, but I must resist somehow.  Hopefully I can last a month  :P

if you would've decided to come to the listening session...you could've brought a small jar so i could send you home w/ a small sample that would last you forever!  too bad you decided not to come...:(

djbnh

Walker SST
« Reply #39 on: 8 Sep 2004, 10:46 pm »
Just got a new cartridge in, and e-mailed Mr. Walker about using SST on the cartridge pins. Here's his reply:

Absolutely! It is probably the most important place. Use a very thin coat on about 1/2 to 2/3 of the pin. It will probably take 8 - 10 hours of playing time to fully break-in. Thank you.

So, I look forward to carefully applying the product to the cartridge pins and hearing the results.

Happy listening!