BDP-3: Problems with inernal wireless connection

Vulpes

BDP-3: Problems with inernal wireless connection
« on: 14 Sep 2018, 04:57 pm »
Problems with wireless connection to BDP-3

I don’t have an ethernet connection near my audio rack. Because of this I ordered the BDP-3 with the internal wifi option. Therefore, my player has two extra connectors (F-connectors?) at the back, to which I attached the supplied antennas (I have not found any documentation w.r.t. the internal wifi, so I did what seemed obvious).

I did start with updating the firmware, but I had to move the player to my study where I have an extra ethernet connection. With this ethernet connection updating went fine. I had already built in an internal SSD hard disk and copied all the music files to this (using BitVise, a modern version of FTP).
I could access the player with the web interface (Manic Moose) without problems. I also tested the Wifi connection and found that I could wireless connect to the player.

After this I moved the player to the audio rack (no ethernet cable connected anymore) and connected the BDP-3 to the BDA-3 and wanted to use an iPad to control the BDP-3 using wifi. This did not work, whatever I tried….

So, back to my study, and again connected the Player to a wired connection. Strangely enough: the wireless connection was again up and running!
So, I removed the ethernet connector and presto, the wireless connection is gone too!

I did this in different variations (static IP by the Player only/ Static IP by my router only, and for both at the same time) which involved a lot of rebooting the Player and my router. When I have connection, the information in the display of the Player tallies with the IP addresses and MAC addresses and both the IP addresses (wlan0 and eth0 can be used to access Manic Moose). When I remove the ethernet cable, the display shows me that everything is still Ok. When I reboot the player I get the message ‘WiFi Down! Network Down?’ and also the message ‘wlan0 up’ passes the display.

In essence, it boils down to: ‘Wifi only works if ethernet is plugged in’.

Google is my best friend, so I stumbled on this: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=81021

It is suggested there that switching the order of eth0 and wlan0 in /etc/network/interfaces could help.

I checked and: yes, this trick could be applicable for the Player, because here I have:

I checked and even nano was installed (my favourite editor)). So, I went for it:

Sigh… OK, I understand this – I am involved in software development myself.

But this means that I currently find no other option then to ask you if you can help me out...

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BDP-3: Problems with inernal wireless connection
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2018, 06:38 pm »
Hi Vulpes,

Could you please place the bdp into service mode and email me the service Id?

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

Vulpes

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2018, 10:04 am »
I am happy to say that this problem does not exist anymore.
I installed the latest firmware and left Chris my service ID.
Still not out on the question if the new software or if Chris fixed it. If the latter is the case: thanks Chris! If the first is the case, also: thanks Chris!

Anyway, I am thoroughly enjoying my new BDP-3/DBA-3 combo  :thumb:

Jan

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2018, 03:40 pm »
I am happy to say that this problem does not exist anymore.
I installed the latest firmware and left Chris my service ID.
Still not out on the question if the new software or if Chris fixed it. If the latter is the case: thanks Chris! If the first is the case, also: thanks Chris!

Anyway, I am thoroughly enjoying my new BDP-3/DBA-3 combo  :thumb:

Jan

Hi Jan,

Sorry about that, i had to restart it to finish the process, it didn't reconnect (to our server for remote access) after the restart and I must have forgotten to email you.  Glad to hear its working though.

Chris

lynniemagoo

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2019, 12:39 am »
I just received my BDP-3 today S/N 000304 with the wireless option.  I ordered wireless but am using wired.  When the unit boots, it shows that eth0 is not available and the wlan0 ip is 192.168.57.1 which is not in my subnet.

I then configured the wired adapter for static ip and gateway and restarted the unit.  Upon restart, the lights on the ethernet jack light up for about 3 seconds then go dark.  Again, the unit shows not connected.  If I unplug and reinsert the RJ45 jack, the light come on and an IP address is assigned.  If I restart the BDP for any reason, I have to remove and reinsert the plug.

I have sent Chris R an email on this but as was very late in the day, have not heard back. 

Please help.

lynniemagoo

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2019, 03:51 am »
Chris and Team,

Looks like I got it sorted out but was concerning.  Here's the scenario.

When I connect BDP-3 directly to my router with wired cable - no issues.

Other connection - not working

The network topology definitely affected the IP assignment when connected via switch.  Topology and discussion below.
I have 2 netgear GS108EV2 switches with firmware 1.0.12 inline between BDP-3 and the router.  I previously had power-cycled router and each switch to no avail.  Still could not get IP assigned to BDP-3 without disconnecting and reconnecting cable after each restart.

Finally, when I was about ready to give up, I used the Netgear ProSafe utility and modified the switches as follows:
Enable loopback detection and then reboot each switch.   
Once I did this, I was able to then reliably get an IP address assigned on each reboot without having to remove/reconnect the network cable.

Not sure why loopback detection was the culprit but I can at least move forward and enjoy listening.

Thanks,
Lyndel

gbaby

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2019, 06:47 pm »
I just received my BDP-3 today S/N 000304 with the wireless option.  I ordered wireless but am using wired.  When the unit boots, it shows that eth0 is not available and the wlan0 ip is 192.168.57.1 which is not in my subnet.

I then configured the wired adapter for static ip and gateway and restarted the unit.  Upon restart, the lights on the ethernet jack light up for about 3 seconds then go dark.  Again, the unit shows not connected.  If I unplug and reinsert the RJ45 jack, the light come on and an IP address is assigned.  If I restart the BDP for any reason, I have to remove and reinsert the plug.

I have sent Chris R an email on this but as was very late in the day, have not heard back. 

Please help.

I personally think I made a mistake ordering my BDP3 in wireless. You loose the use of the front USB inputs with wireless. However, had I known that, I would not have done so. Bryston needs to put this in its manual.  :?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2019, 06:33 pm »
I personally think I made a mistake ordering my BDP3 in wireless. You loose the use of the front USB inputs with wireless. However, had I known that, I would not have done so. Bryston needs to put this in its manual.  :?

You should email either my self or mike about this we have a new harness that seems improve USB compatibility with the front USB ports.

Chris