Active Speakers?

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
Active Speakers?
« on: 22 May 2012, 04:40 pm »
Jim:

Have you ever built any active speakers?  I was wondering about one of your smaller book shelf type with the Hypex Ncore 400 power amps?

Harrison

*** Here is a data sheet link:  http://www.hypex.nl/docs/NC400_datasheet.pdf

jsalk

Re: Active Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2012, 07:13 pm »
Jim:

Have you ever built any active speakers?  I was wondering about one of your smaller book shelf type with the Hypex Ncore 400 power amps?

Harrison

*** Here is a data sheet link:  http://www.hypex.nl/docs/NC400_datasheet.pdf

Harrison -

We have built active speakers in the past - mostly large 3-ways.  I am sure that active speakers could be built with these amps and power supplies.  I have been thinking about doing a pair just for fun, but they would be somewhat expensive once you purchase the amps, power supplies, connectors, plates to mount them on, etc.

- Jim

yetis

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2012, 03:00 pm »
Harrison -

We have built active speakers in the past - mostly large 3-ways.  I am sure that active speakers could be built with these amps and power supplies.  I have been thinking about doing a pair just for fun, but they would be somewhat expensive once you purchase the amps, power supplies, connectors, plates to mount them on, etc.

- Jim

I would be interested in a center channel that matches my ss8's, with these amps.

yetis

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2012, 09:44 pm »
- Jim

Jim, Any thought on this.  Any way you can cram a Hypex Ncore amp and power supply into HT2 center channel. All I need is a XLR out (and power). Running these amps on the SS8's and they sound good.  My only issue is that good CD's sound good and bad ones are just not bearable.

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2012, 01:44 pm »
Jim, Any thought on this.  Any way you can cram a Hypex Ncore amp and power supply into HT2 center channel. All I need is a XLR out (and power). Running these amps on the SS8's and they sound good.  My only issue is that good CD's sound good and bad ones are just not bearable.

I don't see any reason it couldn't be done.  I presume you mean you need an XLR in, not out.  Also, do you mean SoundScape center or HT2C center?

Can you describe what sounds bad with bad CD's?

- Jim

yetis

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2012, 03:04 am »
I don't see any reason it couldn't be done.  I presume you mean you need an XLR in, not out.  Also, do you mean SoundScape center or HT2C center?

Can you describe what sounds bad with bad CD's?

- Jim

I guess I should move this to email.  But for sake of thread closure, yes XLR in and a HTC2.  While the SS is desirable, just too large in this case.  I will keep it black.

As for the music, it seems to be older music, jazz/classical that is somewhat remastered onto CD.  Some sound very musical, with depth, imaging and just right.  Others are just not great.  I am using a Meridian 861 processor, as the processor.  The room correction has not been performed yet. Amps are as discussed,  above, with XLR inputs.  Speaker cables are custom Furutech bi-amp cables, with four-way post on both speakers and amps

Nuance

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2012, 12:52 pm »
As for the music, it seems to be older music, jazz/classical that is somewhat remastered onto CD.  Some sound very musical, with depth, imaging and just right.  Others are just not great.  I am using a Meridian 861 processor, as the processor.  The room correction has not been performed yet.

That's definitely the one major downfall of owning a hi-fidelity speaker that is true to the source; the source music will be portrayed in all of it's full glory...or not.  If the recording is bad it will stay bad, unfortunately. :(