Bryston Loudspeakers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #1800 on: 24 Sep 2014, 11:13 pm »
No. I was under the impression that they shipped with all new production - obviously not. Probably confusion with the new design of feet/spikes. :scratch:

Looks as if I will have to order them.

Peter

Hi Peter

Yes the speakers come with Rubber furniture feet and small spikes but they fit right below the speaker corners.  The XL outriggers are what I posted on the bottom of my speakers and are an extra.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1801 on: 26 Sep 2014, 03:04 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Baiyun show in Guangzhou China

September 2014

Hi Brian and James,

We have just finished the Baiyun show in Guangzhou China this past Sunday. 

The response towards the Bryston Model T loudspeakers was very positive.

We were one of the very few best sounding rooms in the show, with the:

•   Bryston BP26 Preamp

•   Bryston 28BSST Amps

•   Bryston Model T Spks

Thanks and best regards,
Michael Chan
Richcoln Company Limited

« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2014, 10:27 am by James Tanner »

Samurai7595

« Reply #1802 on: 26 Sep 2014, 03:14 pm »

James, if you send me a free pair (black please), I promise to kiss them every night before I go to bed...   :thumb:

mrhyfy

« Reply #1803 on: 26 Sep 2014, 04:25 pm »
Hell,, I'll marry them!

ellsworth

« Reply #1804 on: 26 Sep 2014, 07:44 pm »

Not a bad idea - I will look into that.

james

Hi James;

Did you manage to get anywhere with the outriggers for the cross-overs? Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1805 on: 26 Sep 2014, 10:42 pm »
Hi James;

Did you manage to get anywhere with the outriggers for the cross-overs? Thanks.

No I am sorry we did not - I have used the larger rubber feet on the bottom of the 28B's and some vibration units that I had but nothing official yet.

james

« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2014, 10:26 am by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1806 on: 27 Sep 2014, 10:02 am »
Hi Folks,

The Bryston Mini T speaker has done well at the studio level but it looks like the Middle T is starting to make inroads as well.

James Tanner

• Facilitator

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1808 on: 29 Sep 2014, 05:42 pm »
SUBJECT: Bryston Model T’s – A Little Magic

As I've indicated in other threads, at the end of August, after hearing the new Model T's once again, I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and order a new pair, to replace my Tannoy Turnberrys. I had seriously been considering upgrading to the Tannoy Kensington's but, I simply could not ignore how I kept reacting to the Modet T's.

I first heard the Model T's when James Tanner had them for their inaugural debut at TAVES in Toronto. These speakers were the revelation of the audio show and I think many, very many audiophiles and audio gurus were shocked by the sonic qualities of these speakers. I know I couldn't stop talking about them. If the reviews that keep surfacing on a regular frequency are any testament, then these speakers are at least worthy of a proper audition, by any audiophile.

I brought them home over the weekend and had them all unpackaged and hooked up by late Saturday afternoon. After somewhat placing them where I wanted them to be, I turned the juice on and waited to see if I would as astonished as I had been the previous times I have listened to these speakers.

Out of box, they provide the kind of music sensation you'd expect of much much, MUCH more expensive speakers. It only takes a matter of moments before you are tapping your foot to the beat of the music, while you stare in disbelief, shake your head in puzzlement trying to figure why they are as good as they are.

It has been stated many many times already that these speakers are phenomenal as creating a presentation of the musical stage that is simply uncanny. Up, down, left, right and front to back, you can see, feel the stage. The sound is good, very good, but it's the imagery and dynamics that simply stumps you. Then the clarity, the tonality seem to make the stage come alive.  You do get the sensation of being 'there'.  And.. all from redbook CDs.

Now, to be fair, these are not gorgeous or sumptuous speakers, like Sonus Faber Stradivarius speakers are, for example. While aesthetics is in the eye of the beholder, the Model Ts, while not austere either, are pretty simple and straigthfoward in looks. They look like what a pair of high column speakers ought to look like - about 5' high, 14' across with an array of 6 to 8 drivers. Perhaps, it might be more precise to say they look 'common'.. there is little that is unique about them. They are very solid and quite massive at 105lbs each. The finish is very nice, especially in the Rosewood veneer, and strangely enough I think they actually look better with the screens in place, giving a fully black front, that in my case seems to blend well with my set - up. Setting these speakers on a set of outriggers does add to their overall look, in a good way. They came well packaged and draped in a black cloth bag which I think was a nice bonus. The speaker terminals are at the base of the speaker, which means you don't have to worry about speaker cables hanging down the speaker, or having to buy slightly longer cables. Perhaps these are small points, but in the end, they matter.

The real question is do they sound as good? Are they possibly better? I cannot say for sure. That is beyond my level of expertise. But, I will say this. I have heard SF before and loved them... however, the SF, did not captivate me, stump me, the way the Model T's did, and still do. In my audio life, so to speak, I have owned, Tannoys (Cheviots, Turnberrys), ProAcs (Response 1.5 and D38) and now Bryston Model T's. Even my wife mentions how strong my reaction has been to the Model T's.. and I quote.. "I've never seen you get this excited over any piece of audio gear"... I'll say it this way.. Imagine being able to go to a live concert, but without having to endure all the distractions that occur in a live setting.. that is what I think these speakers do.. better than anything I have heard.....

If you are considering a new pair of speakers and have a budget of over 10K, 20K, 30K.. 40K... then ADD these speakers to your list and don't be surprised if you find that all of a sudden you have a lot of extra bills to spend on other toys..

I was also a little nervous about how they would match up with McIntosh electronics... okay, that is something I should have not have been concerned about. I would even dare say that the combination is quite spectacular.

I do not know what magic James Tanner and the rest of his buddies at Bryston did to produce a speaker,that, in my humble opinion, is going to send shockwaves throughout the audio industry. They certainly have sent shockwaves through my audio soul... and that is really all that matters.

Rock Hau

MAIN: Electronics:McIntosh: C2200FG, MC501's, MCD500, SonoS Connect, Chang Lightspeed
Cables: Wireworld - XLR Silver Eclipse 5.2 Interconnects: Speaker Cable 6.0 Silver Eclipse. Nordost - Vishnu Power Cables.
Speakers: Bryston Model T (Passive)

Alternate: Peachtree Decco, SonoS Connect, ProAc Response1.5,

« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2014, 04:34 pm by James Tanner »

werd

« Reply #1809 on: 30 Sep 2014, 10:57 pm »
Hello James

I see your out board subs are built using two drivers in a vertical fashion.  Knowing that this is the same array in your Model Ts. Did your ever experiment with a horizontal array using a bigger subs "10in" maybe?  I see you have the floor bounce with the Model Ts covered but it appears to be some what redundant with the subs.

I am only trying to understand sub woofer designs methods. Not critiquing by any measure. Only questioning why you didn't approach using different heights? Which would be the most bottom (closest)distance to the floor woofer.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1810 on: 30 Sep 2014, 11:23 pm »
Hello James

I see your out board subs are built using two drivers in a vertical fashion.  Knowing that this is the same array in your Model Ts. Did your ever experiment with a horizontal array using a bigger subs "10in" maybe?  I see you have the floor bounce with the Model Ts covered but it appears to be some what redundant with the subs.

I am only trying to understand sub woofer designs methods. Not critiquing by any measure. Only questioning why you didn't approach using different heights? Which would be the most bottom (closest)distance to the floor woofer.

Hi Lorne

If I am understanding your question correctly the advantage of different heights on the woofer drivers is as you say to break up the first reflection dip in frequency caused by the distance the woofer is from the floor. With multiple woofers stacked the floor bounce dip is smoothed out due to the 3 woofers being different distances from the floor on the Model T's.

The graphs below show typical floor bounce dip with a single woofer vs the Model T with 3 woofers:

Now with Subwoofers we use the same philosophy and offer 2 subs one with 2 woofers (equal to a 12 inch) (Model T Mini Sub) and one with 3 woofers (equal to a 15)  (Model T Sub).  Also remember that Subs typically do not go as high in frequency as 80 Hz is typical high frequency cut off point whereas speakers typically run the woofers much higher in frequency.  The subs also have 600 watt bryston amplifiers installed internally which provides huge benefits as you can design the low frequency capability of the Sub and the driver required to go much lower than the Model T can go.  (Model T speaker flat anechoic to 25Hz - Model T Subs flat to 17 Hz)

james

« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2014, 11:05 am by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1811 on: 5 Oct 2014, 02:57 pm »
Heres a nice pic of the Model T in Natural Cherry in a customers home.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1812 on: 5 Oct 2014, 03:04 pm »
Model T with MAC gear in customers home:

Samurai7595

« Reply #1813 on: 5 Oct 2014, 10:27 pm »
Model T with MAC gear in customers home:

Nice setup!   :thumb:

bjski

« Reply #1814 on: 5 Oct 2014, 10:42 pm »
Nice! :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1815 on: 6 Oct 2014, 04:04 pm »
SUBJECT: Bryston Middle T Speaker Review

October, 2014

Please see attached the latest review in Home Theater Review.com  Magazine of the Bryston Middle T loudspeaker. Brent says it will not win any beauty contests but gets FIVE STARS for PERFORMANCE.

http://hometheaterreview.com/bryston-middle-t-floorstanding-speaker-reviewed/

Favorite quotes:

•   I'm just gonna cut to the chase and say that the Middle T sounded so good that I listened to it mostly just for pure pleasure. That's not usually the case with speakers I have in for review; typically I focus on getting the review done

•   When I spun Rahsaan Roland Kirk's "Three for the Festival" from We Three Kings, I experienced some of the most amazing imaging I've heard.

•   Next the king of non-so-great recordings: Todd Rundgren. Even though Todd's voice sounds crude, coarse, distorted, and oversaturated on his first sorta-hit, "We Gotta Get You a Woman," I've never heard him image so precisely on this tune. The hand claps in the second verse -something that's barely noticeable on most of the systems people would hear this tune on - sounded eerily real, almost like I was right next to Todd when he was adding them. I noticed so many new details in this recording yet the sound was never, ever even slightly hyped-up or bright. I only wish all those audiophiles who think exaggerated treble equals detail could hear this speaker do its thing.

•   Whatever percussion instrument Dybdahl was whacking on sounded like it was absolutely real, stretching across to fill my living room from side to side. Above all this sonic chaos, Dybdahl's voice floated, sounding impeccably clean, clear, and full. The whole experience was simply amazing. If every trade show demo were this good, a lot more speakers would be sold.

•   Every summer seems to have one song you can't get out of your head. For me, 2014's chanson d'été is Tom Vek's irresistible "Sherman (Animals in the Jungle)." I'd say it was a perfect fit for the Middle T, except that almost everything seems a perfect fit for the Middle T. The grating synth punches in the intro sounded colossal, wrapping all the way around behind my head as if I'd had surround speakers set up. The quartet of 8-inch woofers totally brought the boom, slamming out Vek's incessant, insistent beat with all the power, ease, and clarity of a great subwoofer. As usual with this tune, I kept cranking it up and cranking it up, yet I heard not a trace of distortion in Vek's voice.

•   Pining to put the high-res capability of the Sony USB DAC to use, I put on the 24/96 version of Yes's "Long Distance Runaround." What I noticed most here was Chris Squire's bass, which just sounded so perfect, so flat, and so tight, with no notes sticking out and every subtlety of his fingering and picking right out there. With a lot of speakers and subs, the bass is too sloppy to get the attack on both kicks. With the Middle T, both kicks sounded completely clear and detailed, giving me a realistic sense of the felt beater striking the drum head.

Brent Butterworth
Home Theater Review

BrysTony

« Reply #1816 on: 6 Oct 2014, 04:22 pm »
James,
I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas area.  Where is the closest place that I could listen to these speakers?
Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1817 on: 6 Oct 2014, 04:27 pm »
James,
I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas area.  Where is the closest place that I could listen to these speakers?
Tony

Hi Tony

I will ask our Texas Rep for you - I think we have a dealer down that way.

Or you can come to my place anytime!

james

BrysTony

« Reply #1818 on: 6 Oct 2014, 04:31 pm »

james

Be careful what you say.  I might take you up on it!

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1819 on: 6 Oct 2014, 04:33 pm »
Hi Tony

I will ask our Texas Rep for you - I think we have a dealer down that way.

james

Apparently Audio Systems in Austin has Model Ts available to demo but not Middle T's.

james