Minimally treated kithchen and great room - great results

christmclean

The customer service for the product is outstanding. Bryan Pape patiently answered by questions and always gave me good advice.

The picture below shows my Selah Audio RC4 speakers in my large great room. My house has a very large open floor plan with 17 foot high ceilings and tile floors. Needless to say the slap echo in the room was very large. I purchased three 242 panels. A panel went behind each speaker in portrait orientation on the long vertical wall area behind the equipment rack. Another panel went horizontal up high on the wall shown in the picture for first reflections. I was not sure that three panel would do much in such a large space. Let me tell you that the slap echo is gone, the bass is more pronounced and the room overall is just quieter, and the music has more depth. I could not be more amazed on how well three panels have done to get the room under control. Call me amazed. I don't know why I did not do this three years ago when I moved in.

We all know that we end up in the kitchen at parties and the noise level gets very high. To help this I also bought a six pack of the Ecose 2 inch 3lb acoustical smooth board. This was to replace some foam batting that I had above the kitchen cabinets which it turns out are about 4 inches deep. I was able to get 2 layers of the ecose on top of each kitchen cabinet, and used almost all 6 pieces in delivered as a package. I had not realized that foam batting does almost nothing to absorb sound. The ecose made my kitchen so much quieter. After I installed it my wife and I were talking in there and I made the realization that I could hear her much better since her direct speech was reaching me and not just all the reflected sound. You can judge for yourself if this is good or not.

I had made some Jon Risch homemade bass traps about 10 years ago, which were somewhat Ghetto. Everyone thought they were cat scratchers. With the new panels hung my wife says that the panels look much better than she thought they would. It looks like we will keep the two white traps behind the speakers and get a couple or Art Panel traps to replace some pictures. GIK acoustics has really made a great WAF product. So much so that we will be getting more. Including a soffit bass trap that my wife can use as a stand to put some glass art on top of.
Not only is the music much richer in character the house is just nicer to live in. With the kids running around screaming it does not echo all around the house. The difference has been much more profound than I would have imagined.

Bill of NY

Re: Minimally treated kithchen and great room - great results
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2015, 02:28 am »
Thats great I have heard alot of noisy and reflective kitchens and made suggestions but the owners looked at me like I was Crazy  :thumb: