Anybody ever used a Tripp-Lite Isolation Transformer?

Early B.

Re: Anybody ever used a Tripp-Lite Isolation Transformer?
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2019, 03:04 pm »
Yeah, a long time ago. They're noisy. I got rid of it almost immediately.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2019, 04:31 pm »
Noisy as in background sound, or noisy as in audio interference?

aln

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2019, 04:52 pm »
I have three of them (two 1000 and one 1800) and they can be noisy.  BUT they are noisy only if there is something on the line that they don't like.  My 1000 made all sorts of noises at my house, but when I took it to my audio studio at work, it was fine.  No Noise at all.  If you are looking to buy one, look at the 1800 as you can put your whole system on it.  If money is no object, consider the Torus TOT line.  I use the 8 amp version at my home and plug my amps directly into the wall.

8T_BoCO

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2019, 07:53 pm »
I found it noisy, too. 
But that was when I was dealing with a noisy component (a nettop PC as a media head, recently replaced by a Raspberry Pi), so I'll re-check and report back.

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2019, 08:54 am »
Years ago, before I bought hi-current p-cons, I owned 250-, 500-, and 1000-Watt versions, all purchased used.. The two smaller sizes had single rectangular-frame transformers (this is a 500 which I had improved)...

...while the 1000 had a pair of toroids stacked.. This latter model hummed (mechanicaly) an audible amount.. I tried to eliminate or reduce that but couldn't and gave it to my buddy, who told me he managed to quiet it (and he's still using it maybe-10 years later)..

They're made quite inexpensively, with thin bent-metal chassis, Chinese parts, etc. and are definitely NOT hi-end pieces.. I gave a 500 to another buddy who, after changing other equipment, didn't need it and gave it back.. Probably I'll find a place for it somewhere.

I'm sure they do an adequate job of reducing EMI on the line and damping Voltage spikes, but I certainly wouldn't buy another one.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2019, 12:14 pm »
I use an Isobar Ultra 6 in my main floor home theater setup in the family room.

Leveraging mostly as a power distribution center (6 plugs) and have not noticed any ill effects.  Not sure it makes any real difference either, but as a power bar this unit has been great for about 10 years now.

Agreed, not a high end product.  Was priced appropriately on eBay when I picked it up.  No regrets.

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2019, 02:24 pm »
I also use an Isobar Ultra 6 as distribution center and have never heard any bad effects. I bought the Isobar maybe 20 years ago to use with a computer, the dot matrix printer I had at that time sent a power surge while printing that blue screened the computer. The Isobar stopped that from happening proving the filtered outlets really work.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2019, 07:44 pm »
Shop around. I just found a used BPT BP-3 from the Music Room and negotiated a $350 price on it. Arrives Monday.

It pays to scour Audiogon and US AudioMart.

audiobasic2000

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2019, 12:57 am »
Good Evening, Big Red..:

Would be interested in your impressions of the BPT. Saw that deal and would have jumped on it if it was up here in Canada. Yes, the Music Room ad indicated it would ship worldwide but it would have been expensive given the weight. I already have two and really like/enjoy them for what they do. I'll let you write out your thoughts after you've had it for a bit. Thanks.   :D

Sincerely,
Kingsley.

Mike82

Re: What about a Powervar Power Conditioner?
« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2019, 06:23 pm »
https://www.powervar.com/-/media/ametekpowervar/pdf/products/power%20conditioners/standard%20power%20conditioners/northamerican_systemspecifications/abc830-11.pdf?la=en

ABC830-11

I've been using Powervar ITs for a few years now.  They work well lowering noise floor with improved low level detail.  Best part is they can be had on Ebay for less that $300.    In the past, I've used PLCs from the likes of Audio Magic (garbage), Exact Power, Blue Circle, Running Springs Audio, Silver Circle AUdio, and at least one other, and they all helped to a degree, but given the electricity in my home, the ITs work best.  Of course, YRMV.

I use 2 Powervar ITs. One for the amplifier (10 amp) and the other for sources (CD, t-t)(4 amp).  I did some minor upgrades:  Hospital grade Hubbell receptacles and rewiring- star wiring/grounding, which provided a noticeable, but not major improvement.  Replacing the stock power cord later. 

The people who like (sell) the filtering type PLCs say that ITs compress dynamics.  To that I say BS, provided you don't undersize the IT, i.e., large enough to handle current draw.