Cornet 2 And Its Big Brother

amandarae

Cornet 2 And Its Big Brother
« on: 16 Jul 2006, 11:31 pm »

So far so good!  After 4 hours continous playing time using CD (I have the reverse RIAA circuit from the Trumpet), I listened to few familiar records and very happy with the results.  In my short experience with the Cornet 2, the Bendix 6106 gives more bass than the new Sovtek 5Y3GT.  Far from getting  the real "tone" of the Cornet but loving the journey so far.  I have lots of NOS AU and AX plus 5814's, 5Y3's, 5AR4's, GZ34, 5751, etc.  so tube rolling is in the horizon.  With the EI 12AU7 and Sovtek 12AX7LPS, the sound of the Cornet is already alluring to my taste.

You can see its big brother beside it in one of the pics.

My system

Cheers :D :D

« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2006, 04:47 am by amandarae »

Rocket

Re: Cornet 2 And Its Big Brother
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2006, 12:29 pm »
Hi,

Glad you're getting good results from you cornet.  I have my classic cornet up and running (installed lundahl step ups) and it sounds quite good at this stage.  I don't have a ground wire (lost) from my turntable and getting a fair bit of hum at this stage (ordered a new phono interconnect).

Regards

rod

Eric H

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2006, 04:52 am »
Nice system!  I'm headed in the same direction (Teres on order + Cornet2/Clarinet already built) and I'm not sure I've seen any examples of the Teres/Hagerman combo before.   Looks like you have the "lead sinkers" mod to a Rega arm on your Teres...  and I especially like your solution for the Teres dustcover (that's not an old aquarium, is it?)    :wink:   I've been wondering how I will build a dustcover for mine.   Please, keep sharing the info and pics...

amandarae

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2006, 04:58 am »
Nice system!  I'm headed in the same direction (Teres on order + Cornet2/Clarinet already built) and I'm not sure I've seen any examples of the Teres/Hagerman combo before.   Looks like you have the "lead sinkers" mod to a Rega arm on your Teres...  and I especially like your solution for the Teres dustcover (that's not an old aquarium, is it?)    :wink:   I've been wondering how I will build a dustcover for mine.   Please, keep sharing the info and pics...

Hello Eric,

Yeah, the cover is not an aquarium :lol: :lol:. I built it by ordering materials through TAPP Plastics.  Not anywhere near fancy but it does the job.
FWIW, I think you will like the Teres/Hagerman combo.  I can assure you that it is a time proven combination.

regards,

Abe

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2006, 05:00 am »
Hi,

I see that you are using supratek preamp and amplifier.  I've heard rave reviews regarding this gear and have listened to a system which comprised of the preamp and monoblocks.  The designer/manufacturer lives in Margaret River which is 300 kilometres from perth.

Regards

Rod

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2006, 05:10 am »
Great looking system !!!! :beer:
Chris

amandarae

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2006, 05:27 am »
Thanks Chris and Rod!

Now the dreaded break in period is in effect for the Cornet and I try my best to resist the urge to roll tubes. 

best,

Abe

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
why the weights?
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2006, 06:37 pm »
why do you have an array of weights running left and right of the phone preamp?

amandarae

Re: why the weights?
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2006, 12:40 am »
why do you have an array of weights running left and right of the phone preamp?

Pat,

My listening room is on the second floor(with heavy carpet).  Looking at the rack, you will notice the Black ATI6012 amp on the left.  Even with a plywood board underneath to make the rack more stable, without the weights, the rack will sink to the left making leveling the TT a nightmare.  Sonic difference?  None whatsoever.  In fact its an eye sore but I am planning to make a sandbox for the right side(where the Cornet is) to have a solid base for my preamp and to counter act the weight from the ATI amp side.

cheers

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
balance
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jul 2006, 12:07 pm »
Can't look at that rack no more. It's driving me crazy trying to come up with schemes to balance it. :-)

... Move amp off rack onto seperate amp stand. (Might help minimalsitically with EMI re the phono pre.)

troporobo

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jul 2006, 06:25 am »
My listening room is on the second floor(with heavy carpet).  Looking at the rack, you will notice the Black ATI6012 amp on the left.  Even with a plywood board underneath to make the rack more stable, without the weights, the rack will sink to the left making leveling the TT a nightmare.  Sonic difference?  None whatsoever.  In fact its an eye sore but I am planning to make a sandbox for the right side(where the Cornet is) to have a solid base for my preamp and to counter act the weight from the ATI amp side.

Have you considered spikes instead?  One way to do this with the Flexy rack is to simply have the ends of each leg machined to a point, but then you would have to disassemble the system which would be a pain.  Another would be to mount something like short brass plumb bobs (or some other suitable audiophile-approved and expensive alternative) to each bottom shelf, or a sub-platform that the flexy would then sit upon.  Just a thought. 

amandarae

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2006, 12:08 am »

Have you considered spikes instead?  One way to do this with the Flexy rack is to simply have the ends of each leg machined to a point, but then you would have to disassemble the system which would be a pain.  Another would be to mount something like short brass plumb bobs (or some other suitable audiophile-approved and expensive alternative) to each bottom shelf, or a sub-platform that the flexy would then sit upon.  Just a thought. 

Yes sirree!  I tried points before.  The problem is it penetrates the wood flooring making it more flimsy.  Maybe I should look at the Mapleshade big carpet piercing heavy points and try it again.  Thanks for the reminder!

regards