New drivers are here.

Ed VB

Re: New drivers are here.
« Reply #60 on: 17 Nov 2012, 10:04 pm »
Well, I almost made my final decision!!

It is a toss up between these two.

OB-7 kit with NoRez and a N3s center with NoRez, Sonicap & Mills resistors.

N3 and N3s with NoRez, Sonicap & Mills resistors and Platinum caps.

I was able to move the left sub a little away from the left speaker. This is about where the new OB-7 or N3's would have to be. Left front baffle is 3'1" away and Right front baffle is 4'4"away from back wall.
Three OB-7's was over the max budget so that left these choices that I thought were better than the X-Statik & X-Voce combo.

Since most of the content is voice on the center channel I thought the N3s would work well, especially in the location where it is now.

With these parameters what do you think will work best?

persisting1

« Reply #61 on: 17 Nov 2012, 11:44 pm »
If high SPLs are of importance, then the OB-7 is a no-brainer. In a earlier post you liked the idea of the midrange of the X-Statik and the pros of the Neo tweeter in the N3.

It sounds like the OB-7 is the best of both worlds.

Ed VB

« Reply #62 on: 18 Nov 2012, 12:17 am »
persisting1

Talking with Danny He also really liked the midrange of the X-Statik over the N3.

One other possibility would be the following in the mix.

OB-7 kit with NoRez and a LS-C center. Given the location where it will be placed would this combo work the best? Thes was what Nick did.

OB-7 kit with NoRez and a N3s center with NoRez, Sonicap & Mills resistors.

N3 and N3s with NoRez, Sonicap & Mills resistors and Platinum caps.

I have around $1600 to spend on the kits for three speakers so chime in if you have any better ideas for my application.

Early B.

« Reply #63 on: 18 Nov 2012, 12:33 am »
Ed VB -- Consider focusing (at least for now) on getting the best front speakers you can afford. That means getting the OB-7's. You can always acquire a center channel later. With the remainder of your budget, upgrade the Parasound amp and you should achieve a much better sonic improvement vs. buying kits for three speakers, especially if you use your fronts and Parasound amp for two-channel listening.

Ed VB

« Reply #64 on: 18 Nov 2012, 12:57 am »
Early B.

A lot of my listening is also BluRay concerts so the center is important.

I only have one chance to build them all at once with the people I work with so I need to get all three at one time.

The only other option is the OB-7's and OB-7+ turned sideways with the Sub section removed.
I just wondered in my location for the center would put it too close to the corner walls

I double checked so the prices of both will cost about the same and slightly above the budget I had allotted.

So here is my chance to get my final set and have no regrets after building them.

Ron

« Reply #65 on: 18 Nov 2012, 03:55 am »
  Ed 

All of the system combination you mention will certainly provide excellent sound quality and performance. If you want a system that provides the best midrange performance, I tend to agree with Danny that a pair of  performance upgraded ( Sonicaps, Mills, No-Rez)  X-Statics with a X-VOCE or X-CS Encore center channel  might be the best choice for you and would save you some money too. I haven't heard the X-Staics or the X-VOCE / X-CS, but based on the midrange performance of my upgraded X-LS Encores their midrange sound be excellent. Also, with the larger woofers, I would think they should sound bigger too. Just my opinion.

It is a tough decision, but I think you will be happy with any of the systems you are considering.

Ed VB

« Reply #66 on: 18 Nov 2012, 03:49 pm »
Thanks Ron

I had a good night thinking about all the configurations, cost and placement in my living room.

The two lowest cost are still the N3 & N3s and X-Statik & X-Voce.

With all the upgrades they are almost identical in price.
The next level would be about $400 more!

Since I have to build the X-statik's and modify the X-Voce with No-Rez, Sonicaps and remove and install new veneer to match the X-Statik the N3 is looking more favorable.

The choice between the Neo3 and Peerless tweeter also makes the N3 is looking more favorable.

And last is the construction of the cabinets that makes the N3 a little easier to make.

While the X-Statik might have a better midrange the overall response from reading almost every post on this forum between the two seem to indicate that for the same cost the N3 & N3s wins out in cost and for the location I will be putting them in. The left speaker max from the wall is 3 feet and the X-Voce is located in the corner so it would be less the 3 feet from the walls.

The placement of my Rythmik subs also had to be added to the equation.

For the same cost I think I will stick with the N3 & N3s as my final choice.

Ron

« Reply #67 on: 18 Nov 2012, 04:11 pm »
  The N3 TL's and N3S center is an excellent choice Ed. Should work really well in your listening room and provide many years of listening enjoyment. Please post pictures when you complete your system for all of us to see as well as your listening impressions.

Nick77

« Reply #68 on: 18 Nov 2012, 07:56 pm »
I would be temped to press Danny for a time frame on the new driver designs before making a decision if i were you.  :wink:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #69 on: 18 Nov 2012, 08:13 pm »
Yep.

The samples sounded great. Now it'time to see what I can do with them and just how good they can be.
Danny, have you been able to start anything on the X-Otica or is it still a ways off?

Ed VB

« Reply #70 on: 18 Nov 2012, 08:58 pm »
Nick77

I talked to Danny about them but they would be out of my price range by the time I got done.

I think the X-Otica or X-Optima would be super but with the subs I have and location I think the N3 & N3s combination with all upgrades will work out the best for me.

grimace

« Reply #71 on: 19 Nov 2012, 03:18 pm »
Have to tell you that I replaced a B&W setup with and N3S (center) and N3 TLs (mains) with the upgrades/no-rez and they are absolutely amazing.  Frankly, the first pair of XLS-Encores blew away my B&Ws so I knew I was headed in the right direction with the N3 setup and I was right....go for it

mykyll2727

« Reply #72 on: 19 Nov 2012, 07:35 pm »
Have to tell you that I replaced a B&W setup with and N3S (center) and N3 TLs (mains) with the upgrades/no-rez and they are absolutely amazing.  Frankly, the first pair of XLS-Encores blew away my B&Ws so I knew I was headed in the right direction with the N3 setup and I was right....go for it

Which model B&Ws did you replace?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #73 on: 19 Nov 2012, 07:50 pm »
I had B&W 805 matrix speakers and the X-LS and N2X easily beat them in sound quality. 

grimace

« Reply #74 on: 19 Nov 2012, 08:04 pm »
The X-LS Encores blew my 10-year old CDM 1SE Bookshelf speakers away, so when I finished my N3s one of my "snobby" :) B&W friends brought over his 804 Diamonds (yeah he was that skeptical that we carted them over) and frankly, there was really not much of a comparison.  The B&Ws sounded pretty bright especially next to the N3 TLs, and the mids and lows aren't really even in the same league.  They do look pretty though.

Ed VB

« Reply #75 on: 27 Nov 2012, 11:10 pm »
I just love AC!

Going through all the possibility's and talking with some forum members that had N3's and OB7's and OB subs ,I hear the good and bad on what and what not worked in their listening environment. Talking to Danny clarified the designs I was looking at.

The way my room is laid out it was a tossup between OB or a N3 depending how much I was willing to pull the speakers from the wall and adding room treatments.

The low cost approach was the the X-Statik's and X-Voce. Danny's recommendation.

His order was the Super V followed by the OB7's and then the N3 or X-Statik's depending on my budget.

Talking with some of the members here was having the flexibility in getting OB to work in their rooms.

After listening to all the advice I am going to wait until Danny gets to test the X-Otica.

It seems that this will be the best solution for my room as I will have the flexibility to tune the speaker to the servo subs I have, and also not load the room as with the other configurations.

The price point will hopefully be between the OB7's and Super V.

Soundwise I hope the same.

I was able to raise my budget and hopefully before Summer I will have my last set of speakers.

Any comments are welcome.

Thank all for you help.

mykyll2727

« Reply #76 on: 28 Nov 2012, 12:28 am »
I had B&W 805 matrix speakers and the X-LS and N2X easily beat them in sound quality.

Thanks for the reply!  :thumb:

Ed VB

« Reply #77 on: 28 Nov 2012, 08:10 pm »
Danny, Can I get the first set of X-Otica's when the kit is available?

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #78 on: 28 Nov 2012, 09:01 pm »
I know what the x-omni and the x-statik look like, but what does the x-otica look like, a picture anyone?

chip

« Reply #79 on: 28 Nov 2012, 09:32 pm »
This was a design pic from way back when...not sure how much will be changed -

http://av123.wetpaint.com/page/x-otica