A fun speaker.

Early B.

Re: A fun speaker.
« Reply #40 on: 14 May 2021, 12:41 pm »
Saw this thread this morning and thought I'd dig up a little ancient history.  I had these built...wow...a decade ago!

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=93720.0

Yep. And since Danny mentioned Radian, we could be talking about a similar design using a coaxial driver with a single sealed servo sub.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #41 on: 14 May 2021, 01:19 pm »
Love the ideas!

Gosh, I do enjoy these forums! Also enjoy how everyone works together. Everyone has something good, and positive to add!

I hope to see something come about! Be cool to see what derives from everyone’s added ideas.

Wait, is that 3 -8” servo sub woofers??  Or just regular subs? Curious.

Nope, 2/12’s one mid. Network on top.. did this have ... I’ll stop asking and continue to read. Cool story bro

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 14 May 2021, 01:22 pm »
12" coaxial and dual 12" subs

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #43 on: 14 May 2021, 01:23 pm »
As you were writing, I was correcting. Lolol. Morning Hobbs

Early B.

« Reply #44 on: 14 May 2021, 02:45 pm »
12" coaxial and dual 12" subs

For a single sub -- $3,000 for a full kit including flat pack
Dual subs -- add an extra $500.

Optional speaker stand flat packs and caulk to fix the wall cracks.

jn316

« Reply #45 on: 14 May 2021, 04:29 pm »
I think $3k-4k is starting to get away from what Corndog had in mind, but that doesn't mean that there couldn't be a line of speakers with different options starting at say $1k?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #46 on: 14 May 2021, 04:40 pm »
Yeah that's more the idea I was going for when I posted some quick models on the previous page.

The inclusion of a servo sub+amp is optional tho, esp if there are some good passive 8 to 12" woofers that work well, tho they will likely reqire a vent/port to reach below 50-60Hz they would reach in a sealed cabinet, but could possibly get some that hit in the 30-40 range.

The servo option with XLS drivers would bring price to $1500 before factoring in a cabinet.
A fully passive version should bring costs down below $1000, possibly even down to $600-700 range?

Chewbacca

« Reply #47 on: 14 May 2021, 04:43 pm »
I think $3k-4k is starting to get away from what Corndog had in mind, but that doesn't mean that there couldn't be a line of speakers with different options starting at say $1k?

I agree. The $3-4k range is what the Oticas/Xtremes are already at... and even though I've never heard them personally, I think they'd have the ability to rock the house... but then again, this price is without subs supplementing them.

I could see a $1k starting range without a flat-pack would be fairly reasonable. Something like $1500 with the flat pack. Since these would be more box-ish speakers, I think a simple drawing alike the subs for a full DIY enclosure would be quite nice.

Everyone also keeps mentioning putting subs in the enclosure itself too... This is what's really raising the price IMO. I think the old-school mentality of the "full-ish" range drivers is what this post was originally meant for. A "big box" speaker with a top notch crossover with a FR of something like 30/40hz-20k... obviously could supplement with an external sub as well.

Just my .02 for the little it's worth :lol:

Chewbacca

« Reply #48 on: 14 May 2021, 04:48 pm »
Yeah that's more the idea I was going for when I posted some quick models on the previous page.

The inclusion of a servo sub+amp is optional tho, esp if there are some good passive 8 to 12" woofers that work well, tho they will likely reqire a vent/port to reach below 50-60Hz they would reach in a sealed cabinet, but could possibly get some that hit in the 30-40 range.

The servo option with XLS drivers would bring price to $1500 before factoring in a cabinet.
A fully passive version should bring costs down below $1000, possibly even down to $600-700 range?

Yes ^

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #49 on: 14 May 2021, 04:53 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking under $1,000..  Most people think $500 is a LOT for speakers. 

Early B.

« Reply #50 on: 14 May 2021, 05:01 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking under $1,000..  Most people think $500 is a LOT for speakers.

Hey -- do you guys want a true party speaker or not?  There are tons of cheap speakers on the market under $1,000. If you want quality, you gotta pay for it.

Chewbacca

« Reply #51 on: 14 May 2021, 05:11 pm »
Hey -- do you guys want a true party speaker or not?  There are tons of cheap speakers on the market under $1,000. If you want quality, you gotta pay for it.

Those $1000 speakers usually have about $100 worth of parts in them though. I don't disagree necessarily, but with a proper Danny design you can spend $1000 and it may compete with anything to the $3000-5000 range.

Most people who want the party speakers (we aren't most people) won't be thinking, "man, if I replaced yada yada with a miflex cap in the yada yada I wouldn't hear that slight sibilance at the 6khz range" :lol: I'm sure there could be room for a couple price ranges of these party speakers of course...
:popcorn:

Early B.

« Reply #52 on: 14 May 2021, 05:23 pm »
Those $1000 speakers usually have about $100 worth of parts in them though. I don't disagree necessarily, but with a proper Danny design you can spend $1000 and it may compete with anything to the $3000-5000 range.

Well, Danny has already stated potentially using sealed servo subs, so with the subs and amps to power them, the price already exceeds $1,000 for a flat pack. He also spoke about working with Radian, and if you visit their website, you can see the prices for their drivers. Not cheap, y'all. That's where I'm getting my estimates from. 

You gotta be realistic. Don't ask Danny to design a $1,000 party speaker. If it were that simple, there would be a lot more options available.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #53 on: 14 May 2021, 05:32 pm »
Speakers are a constant game of compromise.
Price, quality, quantity, precision, etc, etc.

But for me, the basic idea is an affordable speaker that looks retro, can hide the flaws of a recording, but still sounds good, and can be turned up to rock out without the worry of fatigue. Binding post, Erse caps, etc. Nothing crazy or over the top.

Early B.

« Reply #54 on: 14 May 2021, 05:43 pm »
Speakers are a constant game of compromise.
Price, quality, quantity, precision, etc, etc.

But for me, the basic idea is an affordable speaker that looks retro, can hide the flaws of a recording, but still sounds good, and can be turned up to rock out without the worry of fatigue. Binding post, Erse caps, etc. Nothing crazy or over the top.

The cost of a "fun speaker" are contained in the large drivers. You can use cheap woofers, for instance, but they won't likely sound good and unfatiguing, nor hide flaws in the recordings. High quality drivers are required for what you want. If you're asking GR Research to be involved, I wouldn't expect anything less than servo subs or an equivalent on the low end.   

Chewbacca

« Reply #55 on: 14 May 2021, 05:52 pm »
So.... it's not as simple as:

*save copy as* "BIG LGK" *scale* x5

:lol: :lol:

jn316

« Reply #56 on: 14 May 2021, 06:17 pm »
You gotta be realistic. Don't ask Danny to design a $1,000 party speaker. If it were that simple, there would be a lot more options available.
In a sense, he already has with the redesign of Tyson's Fortes. I'm guessing those drivers don't cost more than a few hundred bucks but I could be wrong.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #57 on: 14 May 2021, 06:22 pm »
The cost of a "fun speaker" are contained in the large drivers. You can use cheap woofers, for instance, but they won't likely sound good and unfatiguing, nor hide flaws in the recordings. High quality drivers are required for what you want. If you're asking GR Research to be involved, I wouldn't expect anything less than servo subs or an equivalent on the low end.   

But that’s not what I proposed.   My whole goal was fun, cheap, easy to build, 40Hz bass, and better than average sound quality.  Maybe Danny isn’t interested in this design and that’s fine. 

It was an idea inspired by a thread I saw elsewhere showing classic (heh) 80’s and 90’s rack stereos.  I was kind of impressed how many people still use those.  People are still listening to the cheap speakers from that time.  Yeah those old box speakers weren’t audiophile approved but for most people they get the job done.  I was just thinking if Danny could find the right drivers something similar could be accomplished.  I know the XLS is his go to for entry level quality but they still come with compromises such as no low bass, and they need stands.  I still recommend the X-CS which have more bass but still need stands.  And kits for a pair with flat pack are just over $1k.

Maybe I’m too idealistic.  I was a broke audiophile for a long time and bang for the buck was always a priority for me.

https://youtu.be/zqHZWdFVyyQ

Folsom

« Reply #58 on: 14 May 2021, 06:40 pm »
Fine, ignore me, you luddites!

Fun seems less when having to tune the speaker with controls.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #59 on: 14 May 2021, 06:55 pm »
Yeah thats the idea I was running with.
Cuz even if those big, boxy speakers don't have all the benefits of a modern, well-enginered design, they look the part and still sound pretty good, esp if you're just casually listening, watching a movie, or having drinks with friends. Just big "wall of sound" speakers.

So long as you pick decent quality drivers and a well designed crossover, you can make something fun, and you don't have to break the bank doing it. But that's the fun here, throwing out ideas to see what sticks and what people like/dont.

It doesn't have to become an actual product. :P