Planned DSP changes to the SP1.7 ?

jradley

« on: 6 Feb 2004, 12:23 pm »
Hi,

I guess this is one for James, but any one else who can help please feel free to advise.

I have read that there are plans to change the DSP engine in the SP1.7 from the current Motorola 56367 to a TI Aureus DA610.

Is this correct and if so do you know when the new units will likely start shipping ? I'm just about to buy an SP1.7 and if it's soon would rather wait and see how the new units compare.

Cheers,

John

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2004, 07:46 pm »
Hi,

We are looking at the TI Aureus DA610 but do not have any plans to make any changes in the SP1.7. I think we will wait for the hi-res output from DVD A and SACD to sort itself out.

james

jradley

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2004, 08:00 pm »
Hi James,

Many thanks for the reply.

Reading between the lines - could this mean a brand new product is on its way ? (realistically I understand that you probably cannot answer that :(

My fear is that if I buy an SP1.7 and in 6 months you release a brand new product there may not be the same upgrade path as there was for the SP1 to SP1.7.

Coincidently, I would be delighted if an SP1.7 or similar could be fitted with iLink/firewire/ieee-1394 interface, as my DVD player (SACD and DVD-A capable) already has that.

Cheers,

John

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2004, 08:04 pm »
Hi John,

Yes being 100% sure these days is a tough call. I can say this though - any upgrade in the future will be adaptable to the present SP1.7 processor.
So the SP1.7 could become the SP1.75 and offer the upgrades.

james

brj

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2004, 08:12 pm »
Quote from: James Tanner
I think we will wait for the hi-res output from DVD A and SACD to sort itself out.

Isn't the "hi-res output" already here in the form of HDMI?  I know others have talked about IEEE 1394, but HDMI seems to have industry support already.  It certainly seems to be showing up with increasing frequency...

-Brian

jradley

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2004, 08:12 pm »
Hi James,

Thank you for the info and your time.

Cheers,

John

thomaspf

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2004, 12:18 am »
Which player outputs hires SACD or DVD-A over HDMI?

Cheers

Thomas

nicolasb

« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2004, 10:53 am »
James,
Yes being 100% sure these days is a tough call. I can say this though - any upgrade in the future will be adaptable to the present SP1.7 processor.
So the SP1.7 could become the SP1.75 and offer the upgrades.

That's nice, of course - but how much more expensive would SP1.7 + cost-of-upgrading be than buying the new model? And how much more expensive again would it be if you don't live in North America?

Also (if I am understanding you correctly) you are NOT talking about being able to upgrade an SP1.7 to a state where it is physically identical to the new product, you're talking about supplying upgrades for the SP1.7 which would give it the same capabilities as the new product, but in a different form factor. Is that correct? It may seem a minor difference, but that causes several warning lights to go on in my head:
  • Even if it were, to all intents and purposes, identical, an upgraded SP1.7 would probably be worth less money second hand than a second hand new model because it would be perceived as being "the old version".
  • Merely because the upgraded SP1.7 would be identical feature-wise to the new product, that's not the same thing as saying it would the same performance-wise.
  • In terms of subsequent upgrades (hardware or software), would an "SP1.75" be as upgradeable as the newer model?[/list:u]

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2004, 01:07 pm »
Hi,

If you look at what Bryston did ( many companies promised few delivered) with the SP1 when we went to the SP1.7 we esentially rebuilt the SP1 to make it an SP1.7. The performace, cosmetics etc are identical. Our intention is to continue down this path.
Cost is difficult because we do not know where it is all going but we offer  these upgrades at factory cost. we see it as a service to our customer rather than a profit center.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2004, 03:23 pm »
From Bryston Engineering:

James,

The HDMI interface looks very promising, it supports both hi-res audio and video.
It is also compatible with DVI.
It is backed by some major electronics companies.
It also is very new, final details were released about 6 months ago, there is still very little equipment out there with HDMI support, but this may change quickly.
Some very expensive widescreen projection and plasma tv's. We'll have to wait and see if it becomes popular.
I guess it will make sense to do some further investigation into this interface.

Dan

nicolasb

« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2004, 05:43 pm »
If you look at what Bryston did ( many companies promised few delivered) with the SP1 when we went to the SP1.7 we esentially rebuilt the SP1 to make it an SP1.7. The performace, cosmetics etc are identical. Our intention is to continue down this path.

Okay, cool: that the SP1.7 would be entirely transformed by the upgrade into something exactly the same as the new model (in the same way that an SP1 becomes, in every sense, an SP1.7 under the current upgrade path) is what I would have expected in the absence of feedback to the contrary. I obviously misunderstood.  :)

Cost is difficult because we do not know where it is all going but we offer these upgrades at factory cost. we see it as a service to our customer rather than a profit center.

Also good news.  :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2004, 05:49 pm »
OK everyone let me make this clear.
We have NO plans at this point to change the SP1.7 processor except for EPROM software updates.
If and when the Hi-Res digital camp (SACD & DVD A) decides on what type of connector and what type of digital bitstream they will allow we will then offer an update to the SP1.7. We do not expet this to be any time soon.

james