HAL's MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik 6x8 DSP crossover and HiRez DAC's

HAL

The latest HAL MS-3 Music Server is now available. 

The unit looks identical to the MS-2, but the motherboard has been changed to an Intel Atom N2600 based with no cooling fan for even lower heat dissipation since the original Intel Atom N2800 motherboard is no longer available.  The unit is entirely solid state with the exception of the DVD drive for CD music ripping to the system library. 

The first production MS-3 was with VivaHiFi in Vienna, VA for a period of time recently while their HAL MS-2 Music Server was being upgraded to Windows 8.1 OS.  Feedback was very positive from Scottdazzle on AC. 

Along with this unit a new 6 input, 8 output DSP crossover and HiRez DAC combination called the dspMusik, is also available.  The unit uses 40bit floating point DSP based processing.  Has S/PDIF, USB2 asynchronous and 24bit/192KHz A/D inputs.  The unit has 8 channels of 24bit/192KHz D/A conversion.  All analog inputs and outputs are balanced via TRS connectors.  Both Mogami and Monoprice make TRS to XLR balanced cables to connect the unit to the audio system.

The dspMusik can also be used as a USB Class 2 audio DAC.  I have already done the software load for that and it can act as a stereo DAC with four stereo pairs.  The USB2 input is ASIO compliant and a custom PC USB driver is installed on the MS-3 or any Windows OS. 

The unit is custom programmed by HAL for the customer speaker crossover requirements.  This is to make the unit plug and play for the customers system.

The first demo of the latest version of the DSP crossover was at CES2015 in January.   The latest demo is going on with the VMPS RM50 speakers that were used at one of THE SHOW events for the live vs recorded event by VMPS.  The speakers were developed with the Behringer DCX2496 digital crossover as part of the system.  The dspMusik was custom programmed to replace the DCX2496 with a minimized signal processing path.   

Since there are VMPS owners that have DCX2496 units in their system, this is an alternative to that system.  Other speaker systems are a possible alternatives that use the DCX2496 as their crossover system.  New speaker designs are also in the works using this as the full crossover system using direct powered drivers.

Pricing is:

HAL MS-3 Music Server running Windows 10 Home 64bit OS  $799.00 + s/h
Danville Signal Processing dspMusik DSP crossover custom programmed system with HAL MS-3 $2299.00 + s/h

Please post questions in this thread if you have any.  For reference the HAL MS-2 thread is on this Circle as well.

« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2016, 10:43 pm by HAL »

Phil A

Rich - did you get my PM from the other day?  Interested in the MS-3.  My question was just about the size of the unit and was it identical to the MS-2 (and I guess since I have an MS-2, the server name needs to be something other than HALMusic).  Thanks.

HAL

Phil,
Yes the MS-3 is the identical chassis to the MS-2.  Only a few connectors locations have changed on the back.

Let me know whatever name you want and I can do that during the OS load.  I just call them that for lack of input.

I have some parts on order and can get a chassis when you want it.

Phil A

Phil,
Yes the MS-3 is the identical chassis to the MS-2.  Only a few connectors locations have changed on the back.

Let me know whatever name you want and I can do that during the OS load.  I just call them that for lack of input.

I have some parts on order and can get a chassis when you want it.

Rich - all I need is the model (again) of the wireless keyboard you recommend (so I can order one and have it ready).  'HALMusic2' is fine.  I have an old 42 inch Vizio in the room already with a PC input and I picked up a cheapo Android tablet anyway recently as I needed it to select music attached to the Oppo BDP-93 in the bedroom system which feeds the outdoor speakers.  So just let me know and I can get you a payment and we can start the process.

Phil A

PS - thanks again for making such reasonably priced easy to use things that don't require proprietary software (not something as stable and easy to use as JRiver or even Foobar if someone doesn't want to pay for JRiver) that constantly has issues.

Phil A

Just looked at the keyboard on my MS-2 which is this one - http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-Touchpad/dp/B005DKZTMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422745378&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+k400&pebp=1422745371727&peasin=B005DKZTMG

Is this still what you recommend?  It works fine on the MS-2 just asking if in your experience you have found something that you like better.  Thanks.

HAL

Phil,
Yes, the Logitech K400 is what I use and recommend as in the link.  I find them at Best Buy stores on sale for $25. 

I am just glad that you still enjoy the MS-2.

If you still have my email address, that is the PayPal one to use.  I just have to know your new address for shipping, so you can send that in the email.

Rich

HAL

For people looking for more information on the dspMusik DSP crossover and HiRez DAC system, here is a link to review the system.

http://www.danvillesignal.com/high-performance-audio/dspmusik-2/8

pansixt

Rich,
Good to hear about the MS-3. I hope to see you sometime soon in this new year. I do miss Southern MD as well and would love to visit. I owe Bunky a trip down there also.

I still keep my eyes and ears open for a used Hi-Face EVO should I ever need an interface to run with my Non-USB DAC. The EVO is still a hard animal to come across used. That combo worked amazingly well with the MS-1 in my system. Though I am not completely ignorant of the advances that have been made in the last month, or year, or two.

Oh Darn. I probably am for the most part. I need to spend more time on research. And less on the other hobbies which offer less return. :duh:

I would miss the lovingly crafted wooden top cover that graced the first model. Although we can all customize our components. As long as we don't impede cooling or other important functions.
Note: My system pics still have the MS-1 featured and it looks as good as it sounded.

Phil A.,

Clearly we miss you and I should plan a trip to FLA (sounds like the late Lou Reed). I still have the Microsoft Wireless Combo
I used with the MS-1 on a shelf here. Good combo. Unless you're like my MAC pal who thinks Bill Gates is the Antichrist. :nono:

James

HAL

James,
I have the same feeling about MAC's!   :lol:

Looking forward to another MAAC gathering at some point to see everyone again. 

Alas the MS-1 chassis is no longer available.  At least the MS-3 has no fan for zero mechanical noise when you are not using the DVD drive. 

The dspMusik DAC's are very good.  My initial testing was just as a USB2 asynchronous DAC to make sure it sounded good enough to proceed with the crossover part.  It did a fine job.  Woodsyi and Pez got a chance at RMAF2014 to give it a listen.  Since then power supply improvements have made it sound even better. 

I have been working on a Open Baffle Speaker Project for possible Recording Studio use.  The dspMusik is the heart of the design with powered speakers.  The first design is working.  Planar mid and tweeter with 8" OB servo subs.  Sounds good and measures well.  Still a way to go. 

Maybe a MAAC gathering when I have it working will be possible. 

Phil A

Rich - sent you a PM

Phil A

Phil A.,

Clearly we miss you and I should plan a trip to FLA (sounds like the late Lou Reed). I still have the Microsoft Wireless Combo
I used with the MS-1 on a shelf here. Good combo. Unless you're like my MAC pal who thinks Bill Gates is the Antichrist. :nono:

James

James, am around most of time.  I will be going to CAF this year.

You guys should just do the next round of PC vs. MAC commericals :green:

pansixt

You guys should just do the next round of PC vs. MAC commericals :green:

Brilliant: Me on one of my bikes wearing my SOS rags and the other guy/gal in my sisters Subaru! What? :icon_twisted:

pansixt

OK, I'll stop and play nice before John R has to get involved.

Besides, I wasn't that very awful almost serious I don't think.

Edit: Sorry. Too Many of my favorite Avery Brewing Company's White Rascal IPA's. I'm a trifle Rascally. :duh:

HAL

Glad you guy's are chatting again, missed it.

Ok, the MS-3 parts for PhilA are on order. 

Demo this week of both systems, so will see what happens on the second in home trial. 

HAL

One other piece of the dspMusik digital crossover idea is that since I program the unit, I remove all unneeded signal processing blocks that most of the generic DSP crossover need to allow users to adapt them to their system.  This is already adapted for the user when it is installed.

From my listening trials this increases the sound quality of the system.   

HAL

The dspMusik is also a very good DAC for HiRez file replay up to 24bit/192KHz.   It uses the minimum phase apodising filters in the Wolfson DAC. 

In work at this time is control software to use the Wolfson DAC digital volume controls across all four chips simultaneously for overall volume control.  This would replace the need for a preamp in a very simple setup for digital music, or analog input.   

You can purchase a bundle with the HAL MS-3 and dspMusik for just use as a HiRez DAC for $1999.00.   The software in the dspMusik can then be upgraded at a later time for digital crossover use if needed.  The DSP crossover upgrade will be $400.00 at a later date.

HAL

Thursday evening will be setting up a HAL MS-3 and dspMusik for woodsyi's VMPS RM40 speakers for his listening demo. 

Looking forward to his feedback.

HAL

Here is a comparison of a 8" full range drive in a open baffle U frame with 3x8" servo woofer being driven by the dspMusik.  The red graph is the unEQ'd speaker.  The green graph is the same speaker running EQ to correct the response plot.  There is no correction added to the dip at 13KHz.

Using two channels of the unit, one with the EQ for the 8" full range and direct couple for the 3x8" servo woofers.

All processing is with the 40bit floating point 192KHz sample rate software.

No linear phase filtering is used in the EQ or DAC outputs. 

HAL

A discussion about room mode EQ.

Adding parametric EQ bands to the dspMusik is very simple to do.  Room measurements are needed for the speaker to add the correct parameters to set them up. Measurements that need to be done with the speakers in position and at the listening area.

One way to do this is using a method described by the Boston Audio Society for making multiple measurements in a 1 foot cube where the listeners head would be located.  Then average all the measurements to get the final EQ data at the listener position.

Since the dspMusik is also acting as the crossover, adding the PEQ to just the bass driver will keep the mid and tweeter path clean of the extra signal processing normally present in other units.  Any difference in processing time delay can be corrected for by adding bulk delay to the faster processing path channels.  No processing, just memory transfers all synchronized to the master low phase noise clock. 

This is one of the ideas for future development using the same dspMusik hardware.