ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC/PREAMPLIFIER COMBO UNIT

avahifi

More Vision from AVA - - - The Vision DAC/Preamplifier

All the musicality of the new basic Vision DAC combined with the Insight SL preamplifier in one economical and easy to use package.

An upgraded chassis layout, a new DAC design, a new power supply, new ground plane shielded circuit boards throughout, and we now can build a complete full function preamplifier combined with our new Vision D to A converter in one economical and functional package.

The Vision DAC/Preamp can be ordered with all of our normal Insight preamplifier options: remote control, an outstanding RIAA phono preamplifier section, buffered tape outputs, built in phase inverter, and soon even balanced line outputs and XLR output hardware.

The Vision DAC/Preamp has all the same functions standard as our great Insight SL preamplifier.  The only difference is that the CD input is a direct coax connection in from your CD or DVD/CD digital output.  It is built using the same rugged AVA SL chassis.

The base price is $1599, twenty percent less than the separate prices of the new Vision DAC and the Insight SL preamp.  Option prices are the same as for the Insight preamp. Vision EC DAC options are not available in this package.

We are saving you hundreds on this great new package and providing you with the best music for the money you have ever heard.
Available right now.

Balanced line output option will be available in about six weeks for $200 extra

Please call me for more details. 651-330-9871

Frank Van Alstine

martyo

Re: ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC/PREAMPLIFIER COMBO UNIT
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2009, 04:10 pm »
Well, well, you've been very busy.  aa

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2009, 04:27 pm »
Frank, what is the standard count of analog inputs and outputs on this combo unit?

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2009, 04:57 pm »
Frank:

Can you install a Vision DAC into an existing Insight SL preamp?

avahifi

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2009, 04:59 pm »
The Vision DAC/Preamp has one coax digital in, plus 5 more line level sets of inputs (one used for phono if that option is ordered).  It has two sets of audio outputs, two sets of tape outputs, and headphone outputs.  It has a precision volume control, precision balance control, selector switch, mono-stereo switches, tape monitoring switches, and power switch.

Balanced line outputs will be available as soon as we get a new appropriate back panel label done.

Thanks for your interest.

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2009, 05:03 pm »
Oneinthepipe, good question that I had not yet considered.

The issue will be having to drill a bunch of holes to relocate some of the existing interior stuff.  I think it can be done, but in the 17" wide chassis only.

If you want to be a "guinea pig" I will do yours for $849, the same price as installing a Vision DAC circuit set in any existing AVA DAC.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2009, 06:00 pm »
Just an editorial, but I believe that an AVA Vision DAC/Preamplifier and UltraValve amplifier combination (having heard a prototype of the DAC at RMAF) will be an outstanding combination and untouchable regarding the price.  Seriously, $3300.00 for an Insight SL with a built-in Vision DAC and an UltraValve.  Unbelievable.

Frank, with the AVA Vision DAC/Preamp Combo Unit, does the Vision DAC have separate analog outputs to enable the DAC to be used with other (AVA, of course) preamps?  Also, can the Vision DAC be installed in the Ultra or T8 preamps, in addition to the Insight preamp.

I am shipping my Insight preamp to you.  Thank you for your generous offer.

TjMV3

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2009, 06:11 pm »
My computer has an audio digital output jack.  So I could use that to output the signal into the Vision DAC/Preamp digital input and through my foloorstanders,  right?

Or even use something like the Olive 4 music server and feed the Vision Dac/Preamp's dacs;  rather than use the Olive 4's dacs,  right?

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2009, 06:17 pm »
Unless the Vision DAC/Preamp combo has a toslink input (similar to the standalone Vision DAC), the setup would be:

Computer's digital output (optical, I assume) -> Optical to digital coax converter -> Vision DAC/Pre toslink input -> amp -> speakers

If your computer has a digital coax output, then you wouldn't need a converter. However, converters can be obtained from monoprice for 12.00.

If the Vision DAC/preamp combo has a toslink input, then the setup would be:

Computer's digital output -> Vision DAC/Pre -> amp -> speakers

TjMV3

« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2009, 06:34 pm »
It's a digital coax output.  Thank you.

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2009, 07:43 pm »
At the RMAF, we used Frank's CD player and also Jim Salk's Squeezebox. Jim had a very great  system, all wireless, featuring a terabyte file server, an iTouch and his squeezebox. The Vision DAC and the squeezebox combo was very cool as Jim had access to literally thousands of tunes. This will be my system of the future. The nice thing about a file server is that it can be remotely located to keep the noise down (hard-drive noise) and everything is wireless and way cool.

I'm glad Frank took the product in this direction, as it presents a real uncluttered musical path for serious digital music lovers, what ever their choice. Get a player with a great transport. You need 1 cable to the preamp and all is taken care of for you. A very short distance for wire from DAC board to preamp output.

Anyway, a great new merge of products onto one chassis. Who knows where this will go.

Wayner  :D

pardales

« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2009, 07:46 pm »
Very busy, indeed. Great stuff, Frank.   :thumb:

MaxCast

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2009, 07:50 pm »
Who knows where this will go.
How about in an Ultra?   aa

avahifi

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2009, 08:01 pm »
There is no physical room in the T8 or Ultra preamplifiers for the DAC board and filter boards.  So it will only be offered in the Insight SL chassis.

Regarding direct DAC output, that is pretty simple.  Switch the DAC/Preamp to its CD (digital) input and take the signal out of the Tape Outputs.  This will then be coming directly from the DAC analog filter/line stage ahead of the internal preamplifier line circuits.

Regards,

Frank

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2009, 08:05 pm »
There is no physical room in the T8 or Ultra preamplifiers for the DAC board and filter boards.  So it will only be offered in the Insight SL chassis.

:(  Dashed hopes.

Wayner

« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2009, 08:33 pm »
Arthur,

Then go get the DAC!

Wayner  aa

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 18 Dec 2009, 08:38 pm »
when will the website be updated with all the new products? 

Wayner

« Reply #17 on: 18 Dec 2009, 08:45 pm »
I think the new website will be done in February, if all goes well. It is a completely new website with all kinds of different (and cool) sections, but needs to be proofed.

Wayner

avahifi

« Reply #18 on: 18 Dec 2009, 08:45 pm »
The AVA web site will be updated soon.

Actually our web site is getting a major overhaul at this time and should be ready for the world within 30 days now.

Regards,

Frank

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 18 Dec 2009, 08:54 pm »
The AVA web site will be updated soon.

Actually our web site is getting a major overhaul at this time and should be ready for the world within 30 days now.

Regards,

Frank

Great!  Please don't mess it up though.  Personally, I think your site is one of the best sites. 

I'm looking at your Ultra Valve and went looking for info.... :(