Amp with built in DAC

Jonathan

Amp with built in DAC
« on: 20 Sep 2019, 12:39 am »
Greetings. I scored a free pair of Boston Acoustics A200s tonight from a neighbor looking to clean house.  We’re going to put them upstairs to use primarily for background music, not serious listening. I would like an all in one amp/DAC combo to stream Tidal from my iPhone. I saw a Sonos Connect:Amp for sale in my local Craigslist at a good price. I like the size and simplicity of the Sonos, and I’m thinking it would be a good option, but I’m a bit nervous about the 55 wpc power rating. The A200s are not terribly inefficient, but they’re also not a super easy load either.

Is there anything else out there in the ~$300 range (used is fine) I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

witchdoctor

Re: Amp with built in DAC
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2019, 04:02 am »
I have Boston Acoustics Soundware speakers hooked up to my Klipsch Powergate and love it. It is part of the DTS Play Fi ecosystem and that is the app you use on your phone. It is hirez capable so if you subscribe to Amazon HD or Quboz you are set. About $300 on Amazon. There is thread here on it if you do a search. Here is a clip:

https://youtu.be/_Ksk1e6lXAU

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2019, 10:24 am »
There is a Paradigm wireless powered amplifier that also plays in the Play-fi world.  Called the PW amp amazing recall.   Friend has one running a pair of Totem Rainmakers to good success.  In your budget as they are blowing them out in Canada. 

witchdoctor

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2019, 06:30 pm »
There is a Paradigm wireless powered amplifier that also plays in the Play-fi world.  Called the PW amp amazing recall.   Friend has one running a pair of Totem Rainmakers to good success.  In your budget as they are blowing them out in Canada.

I own that amp too, the "killer app" is ARC, amazing sub integration and room correction.

Jonathan

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2019, 09:29 pm »
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm intrigued by the Paradigm amp but the reviews I've read don't exactly instill confidence. Sounds like it's a pain to get the wireless interface to work properly. To the guys who own it, what has your experience been like? Thanks again.

Jon
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2019, 11:51 pm by Jonathan »

witchdoctor

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2019, 03:54 am »
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm intrigued by the Paradigm amp but the reviews I've read don't exactly instill confidence. Sounds like it's a pain to get the wireless interface to work properly. To the guys who own it, what has your experience been like? Thanks again.

Jon

PlayFi updates its app all the time and I have had 0 issues. When you set up the product leave the amp near your wifi router just for good measure. Once it updates you can place it where ever you want. The PW amp is more like a power amp, the Powergate is more like an integrated amp. I prefer the dac on the powergate but the sub/sat integration of the paradigm.
Check this thread:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=162334.msg1732055#msg1732055

Jonathan

« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2019, 07:00 pm »
Well, I ended up buying a demo Paradigm PW amp from a local dealer at a good price ($199). I was a bit hesitant due to the negative reviews I read online. It didn’t help that they couldn’t at first get it working in the store either, but after downloading several updates they finally got it up and running and it sounded really good. 

Setting it up at home was pain free, and it’s working fine so far.

On the downside, I didn’t realize that I need a PC to set up the ARC. (I’m a Mac guy). I will have to figure that out later.

Thanks for the recommendation.

« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2019, 07:28 pm by Jonathan »

annamarykahn

« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2019, 11:58 pm »
PlayFi updates its app all the time and I have had 0 issues. When you set up the product leave the amp near your wifi router just for good measure. Once it updates you can place it where ever you want. The PW amp is more like a power amp, the Powergate is more like an integrated amp. I prefer the dac on the powergate but the sub/sat integration of the paradigm.
Check this thread:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=162334.msg1732055#msg1732055

i have my klipsch located near the front porch where i power outdoor speakers and the wireless annoyingly keeps dropping out
i have an amazon echo outside on the porch further from my wireless access point and the signal also has to go through another wall & it works flawlessly
don't know if the problem is in the amp, or the play-fi application ... :-(

witchdoctor

« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2019, 01:50 am »
i have my klipsch located near the front porch where i power outdoor speakers and the wireless annoyingly keeps dropping out
i have an amazon echo outside on the porch further from my wireless access point and the signal also has to go through another wall & it works flawlessly
don't know if the problem is in the amp, or the play-fi application ... :-(

I found it is easy to run a Powerline connection  and just plug it into the ethernet port on the amp.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/