BDP-2 Digital Player

Pundamilia

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1480 on: 25 May 2016, 10:47 pm »
FreeFileSync is an OUTSTANDING program for synching drives or folders. I have spent quite an effort evaluating others, until I found this. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it is very flexible to accommodate different types of synching (Two-way, mirror, update, and custom) with many permutations and combinations of each. A bonus is that it is multi-platform (windows, OS X, Linux). Great program and it is FREE. After using it for a while, you will probably want to donate to the author. :wink:

Marius

« Reply #1481 on: 26 May 2016, 05:30 am »
Thanks! Never heard of this, my loss apparently . Looks very promising. Great find.
Cheers Marius

Can't get it to start up on my Macs. Maybe blocked by security settings? there's no such thing as a free ride...Need to have a closer look.

edit:
donated to get the donor's installer, only to find out it is the same Mac file listed on the regular downloads page. apparently only the windows installer comes with advertisement and a donor's version...
Alright it is though, i got it to run on my main Macbook and it compared directories in a flash. Missed that in Carbon Copy Cloner, which synchronizes after clicking, no comparing on beforehand.

So both have their unique set of options, and both are very much welcomed on this side. Again, thanks for the tip!

Cheers,
Marius
« Last Edit: 26 May 2016, 09:24 am by Marius »

Marius

« Reply #1482 on: 29 May 2016, 11:24 am »
Slightly off topic but Freefilesync was mentioned here so please let me ask:
FFS works on my Macbook Pro, but won't start on my Macbook Air. With the latest El Capitan, i don't need to check Disk consistencies or writing rights anymore, so that can't be it. Anyone here to help finding a solution to a not starting App on the Mac? I can't imagine security settings that won't let it open. ctrl-right clicking doesn't help. Only thing i see is an app icon animation, and after that... nothing happens. It won't load into memory (checked activity monitor).  :scratch: :scratch:

Thanks,
Marius

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #1483 on: 30 May 2016, 06:04 pm »
FFS works on my Macbook Pro, but won't start on my Macbook Air.
If it's failing to start, usually a log is written. Check inside ~/Library/Logs/ and ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/. The Apple-provided "Console" app can also be helpful if you are running it when you try and launch the app.

Marius

« Reply #1484 on: 30 May 2016, 06:08 pm »
If it's failing to start, usually a log is written. Check inside ~/Library/Logs/ and ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/. The Apple-provided "Console" app can also be helpful if you are running it when you try and launch the app.

I will! thx. Suddenly also the updater of Private Internet access won't run  :scratch: :scratch: appears to be a Mac issue then? Strange things happening.

this is it:

and

Bell Ringing... :duh: :duh: :duh:

I installed Ostiarius security app. Forgot about it. Thanks Neko for reminding me through the Console. So glad this circle is around!!
Marius

jtinto

« Reply #1485 on: 31 May 2016, 12:46 am »
Did that fix it Marius?
It looked to me like your setting in system prefs / security & privacy / general was not allowing downloaded unsigned apps

Marius

« Reply #1486 on: 31 May 2016, 12:20 pm »
Did that fix it Marius?
It looked to me like your setting in system prefs / security & privacy / general was not allowing downloaded unsigned apps

it did indeed.
My settings prohibit that like you say, but one can ctrl-right click to give permission per app.
Ostiarius prevents that possibility, and so is even safer. Also a bit more inconvenient....

Ive now disabled Ostiarius, while i could have also changed permissions on the file, for Ostiarius to pass it. Maybe lateron, for now I've got things working.

Cheers,
Marius

jtinto

« Reply #1487 on: 31 May 2016, 12:44 pm »
Marius, I've never tried Ostiarius or FreeFileSync. I'll look into them. Thanks.

I tend to use SuperDuper! to clone local disks and Carbon Copy Cloner for network disks.

I see that we both use Private Internet Access. I've been using their VPN since 2012 without any problems. Highly recommended.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1488 on: 31 May 2016, 12:44 pm »

it did indeed.
My settings prohibit that like you say, but one can ctrl-right click to give permission per app.
Ostiarius prevents that possibility, and so is even safer. Also a bit more inconvenient....

Ive now disabled Ostiarius, while i could have also changed permissions on the file, for Ostiarius to pass it. Maybe lateron, for now I've got things working.

Cheers,
Marius

audioMirror

« Reply #1489 on: 11 Jun 2016, 03:56 am »
Hi James,

I just received my new BDP-2 and BDA-3 from you, through my dealer.  I had you install a new 1TB SSD drive in the BDP-2 for me.

The only problem is, while the SSD Drive shows up in the "Disk-info" tab of Manic Moose and it is formatted with MBR, there is no sub-directory, and I believe that means there is no mount point.  I cannot access this drive through Windows 10, though I can see a "user" directory on the internal OS drive, and a "music" directory on my old external drive that I plugged into the USB port.

So, there is no way for me to get to the drive, to copy my music onto it.  Is there some magic I can do, or do I have to un-install the drive, put it in a Windows machine, and create a sub-directory?  I was hoping this drive would be usable out-of-the-box.

Edit:  Here are the logs for loading the drive:

[ 2.822532] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
[ 2.822856] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 1953525168 512-byte logical blocks: (1.00 TB/931 GiB)
[ 2.823147] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[ 2.823216] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
[ 2.823343] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[ 2.825160] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[ 2.826733] sdb: unknown partition table

The Disk Info shows:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model: INTEL SSDSC2KW010X6
Serial Number: CVLT611500TN1P0FGN
LU WWN Device Id: 5 5cd2e4 14cb306ad
Firmware Version: LSBG200
User Capacity: 1,000,204,886,016 bytes [1.00 TB]
Sector Size: 512 bytes logical/physical
Device is: Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is: 10
ATA Standard is: Not recognized. Minor revision code: 0xffff
Local Time is: Sat Jun 11 04:11:35 2016 UTC
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1490 on: 11 Jun 2016, 09:56 am »
Hi

This one is over my head but will ask Chris to comment.  I use Windows 10 on one of my computers and no issues with seeing the drive but it is formatted for NTSF.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1491 on: 11 Jun 2016, 01:12 pm »
Hi James,

I just received my new BDP-2 and BDA-3 from you, through my dealer.  I had you install a new 1TB SSD drive in the BDP-2 for me.

The only problem is, while the SSD Drive shows up in the "Disk-info" tab of Manic Moose and it is formatted with MBR, there is no sub-directory, and I believe that means there is no mount point.  I cannot access this drive through Windows 10, though I can see a "user" directory on the internal OS drive, and a "music" directory on my old external drive that I plugged into the USB port.

So, there is no way for me to get to the drive, to copy my music onto it.  Is there some magic I can do, or do I have to un-install the drive, put it in a Windows machine, and create a sub-directory?  I was hoping this drive would be usable out-of-the-box.

Edit:  Here are the logs for loading the drive:

[ 2.822532] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
[ 2.822856] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 1953525168 512-byte logical blocks: (1.00 TB/931 GiB)
[ 2.823147] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[ 2.823216] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
[ 2.823343] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[ 2.825160] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[ 2.826733] sdb: unknown partition table

The Disk Info shows:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model: INTEL SSDSC2KW010X6
Serial Number: CVLT611500TN1P0FGN
LU WWN Device Id: 5 5cd2e4 14cb306ad
Firmware Version: LSBG200
User Capacity: 1,000,204,886,016 bytes [1.00 TB]
Sector Size: 512 bytes logical/physical
Device is: Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is: 10
ATA Standard is: Not recognized. Minor revision code: 0xffff
Local Time is: Sat Jun 11 04:11:35 2016 UTC
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

Please post a screenshot of disk information or place the BDP into service mode

audioMirror

« Reply #1492 on: 11 Jun 2016, 02:26 pm »
Please post a screenshot of disk information or place the BDP into service mode

It is the 1TB drive in the middle that I can't see.  It was new-in-box when I sent it to you for the new BDP-2, so I don't know if you formatted it, or it had the right formatting already, or what.

I only see the main sub-directories "music" and "user" in Windows 10.  Perhaps there is no Samba mount point available if the SSD doesn't have sub-directories?  I pushed the "Get Info" button for it.  The 1.5 TB is an external drive.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1493 on: 11 Jun 2016, 02:42 pm »
It is the 1TB drive in the middle that I can't see.  It was new-in-box when I sent it to you for the new BDP-2, so I don't know if you formatted it, or it had the right formatting already, or what.

I only see the main sub-directories "music" and "user" in Windows 10.  Perhaps there is no Samba mount point available if the SSD doesn't have sub-directories?  I pushed the "Get Info" button for it.  The 1.5 TB is an external drive.

The drive needs to be erased, after selecting the SSD, click erase (top middle), select a filesystem, enter a name, click simple partition

audioMirror

« Reply #1494 on: 11 Jun 2016, 03:42 pm »
The drive needs to be erased, after selecting the SSD, click erase (top middle), select a filesystem, enter a name, click simple partition

That did it!  I formatted, mounted, and then rebooted the BDP (so I could get Windows to reload the data), and I now have access the drive.  Thanks!

This is awesome service, guys.  As a software writer myself, I often assume that things are obvious to users, so just a note -- you should probably have a small guide on "installing an internal hard drive" (even if you install it) that could mention these things.

I love the sound so far, though I don't notice a lot of obvious difference from my BDP-1/BDA-1 combination (not that I can A/B the two right now) through AES/EBU.  At first I noticed a difference, and then realized the "upsample" as on.  When turned off, I got about the sound I'm used to, but perhaps with a bit more expansiveness and ease.  I can't be sure.  Still, I love the features of the new components.  I'm looking forward to getting all my music on the internal drive, to stop those "drive spin-up" delays.

wilcat_2000

« Reply #1495 on: 12 Jun 2016, 11:51 am »
Awesome service is right!
I had the exact same issue that audioMirror describes arise when I was installing my ssd a couple of weeks back.  Of course....I was doing the install at just after 11:00 pm (after a long day at the office and finishing all the household chores...what else is there to do but screw around with the stereo).  After hitting that disk settings wall, I emailed Chris (whose name I found here on the forums), hoping for a reply back sometime the next day so I could finish the install after work the following night.  Image my surprise - not 10 minutes later, at 11:26 pm on a Tuesday night - Chris replied back with full instructions to resolve my problem. 
Bryston rocks!

XMAN

« Reply #1496 on: 17 Jun 2016, 02:59 am »
I experienced 2 drop outs (pauses in songs) in the last 2 days anyone else experience this?  I have a wd passport hard drive.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1497 on: 17 Jun 2016, 11:55 am »
What filesystem is the Wd hard drive using?  What version of the firmware are you using?

XMAN

« Reply #1498 on: 17 Jun 2016, 01:44 pm »
What filesystem is the Wd hard drive using?  What version of the firmware are you using?

Fat 32' S2.24 2016-02-08

alinto

« Reply #1499 on: 22 Jun 2016, 05:27 am »
I have my bdp-2 for a couple of weeks now with about 120 hours on it. Compared to the bdp-1 (which i had traded in) the bdp-2 sounds more dynamic ,with better details and tonality. The bdp-1 however sounds smoother and more liquid. The bdp-2 sounds more digital with a hotter top end. I am using the balance output on the bdp-2 and was using the rca output on the bdp-1. When i use the rca output on the bdp-2 , the top end is not as bright but i lose some of the dynamics and details. I am using an early kimber orchid for balance and a atlas mavros digital cable for the rca going into a meitner ma-1. I was wondering if further burn in of the bdp-2 would lead to a more natural top end or if I should try a different aes/ebu cable?