JRiver Plugin Fun

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
JRiver Plugin Fun
« on: 30 Jan 2013, 09:38 pm »
I’ve been reading with interest about the BSGT QOL Signal Completion Stage that has gathered rave reviews for the past year.  I even heard it at a friend’s house and could definitely tell that it was enhancing the soundstage of many (but not all) recordings.  Then I ran across this post/review by Bruce Brown on his Pro-Audiophile forum:(http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?4384-Stereo-Field-Processing ).  He mentioned how he could replicate the QOL effect pretty closely with some basic mid-side processing.

Well heck, I can do that!  I use Jriver as my music server software (http://www.jriver.com) and one of its cool features is the ability the use third-party VST plugins.  Plugins are software programs used in digital audio workstations for recording and mixing music.  Instead of patching an analog box (compressor, EQ, de-esser, etc) into an analog mixing console, a plugin is used to perform the same function in the digital domain.  There are a number of no-cost mid-side plugins available for download, so I can try this for free!

So what is mid-side processing?  It’s a way of converting a stereo signal into a mid (or common) channel and a side (or difference) channel.  The mid channel contains all music signals that are common to both left and right channels.  The side channel contains all the music signals that are unique to either the left or right channel.  Once a stereo track is converted to mid-side, the balance between the mid and side channels can be adjusted to edit the stereo soundstage.  The track can then be converted back to stereo to hear the new soundstage balance.  A true mono signal is all mid channel and no side channel.  Mid-side is the basis for just about all the stereo processing boxes that have come and gone over the years (Carver Sonic Holography, Dolby Surround, Q-Sound, SDS, etc.)  It gets a bad rap because the effect is usually too exaggerated to sound realistic or musical.

Back to Jriver.  I downloaded a free mid-side plugin called Voxengo MSED (http://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/) and placed the MSED.dll file in Jriver’s Plugins folder.  In Jriver’s DSP Studio I added the MSED plugin to the DSP list, checked the MSED box to activate it, and set the Mode to “Inline”.  This way I could hear mid-side balance adjustments on the fly.  Jriver processes the MSED plugin at the file’s native sample rate and at 64 bits of resolution.  It worked on every PCM file I tried up to 24/192, but not on DSD files.  I played around with it for a while, muting, swapping, adjusting, etc., just to get a handle on what it was doing.  Big changes really screwed things up.  No surprise there.  But it helped me understand what the processor was doing to the stereo program.

What I found was that a small increase in side volume, between 1.2 and 1.5 in my system, really helped the soundstage bloom on many recordings.  Any less than that and I couldn’t hear a difference.  More than that and it started sounding too phasey and exaggerated, like that bad “concert hall” setting on a cheap home theater receiver.  But when it was just right, I heard a soundstage to die for; wide, deep, airy and expansive while maintaining instrument placement and timbre.  It’s the kind of improvement that many audiophiles spend megabucks trying to chase down.  I don’t know if this is exactly replicating what the QOL processor does, but I like it and it’s easy to turn off if I think it’s getting in the way of the music.

If you decide to try this, here are a couple of things to keep in mind.  If you are obsessed with things like “bit-perfect”, “no unnecessary processing”, “only as the artist originally intended”, or “my favorite reviewer or manufacturer doesn’t recommend this”, then don’t even attempt it.  Your psyche is too fragile and this will just add to the high levels of audiophile anxiety that you already live with.  If you do decide to bravely move ahead and try it, keep an open mind and plan to experiment a bit.  The effect is very system and program dependent.  Adjustments will be quite moderate and subtle, otherwise it will sound like just another gimmicky audio processor.  The important thing is to have fun with it and find a balance that works for you.  And if it doesn't work for you, just uncheck the MSED box in DSP Studio and move on.

Russ

dwk

Re: JRiver Plugin Fun
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2013, 11:43 pm »
Not quite the same thing, but I spent some time a while back writing my own implementation of the Gerzon/Meridian Trifield algorithm using Reaper's JS scripting plugin (the best thing ever for hacking up quick signal processing prototypes), and came away quite pleased. I used it for a while, but 3 channels is tough to fit into the typical audiophile setup.  Trifield isn't really Mid-Side, but has a similar effect in increasing separation between L/R but then fills in with a derived C. By moving the L/R farther apart - out to about 90 degrees rather then the typical audiophile 60 - the result was really nice.
 After discovering the uber-cheap Equator D5's (I have a pair coming), I'm seriously tempted to get a 3rd for a front stage and revive my DSP experiments.

Thanks for reminding me that JRiver easily supports VST. I got it a while back largely due to the convolution engine, but haven't really sat down and used it. I'll have to see whether I can get the JS vst running in JRiver.

But, yeah, not exactly 'bit perfect' :-)

jkelly

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2013, 12:40 am »
It actually feels like an audio zoom control.
I have been hanging around at .6 and .8 and it amazing how I got closer to the stage!

Jeff

Russtafarian

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2013, 05:33 pm »
The more I listen to this with different albums, the more I realize how program dependent the effect is. I arrived at my 1.2 setting listening to a Aimee Mann album. James Taylor Greatest Hits - made little to no difference at that setting. Beck Sea Change - really opened up the sound stage, had to back it down a few notches to keep it from getting out of hand.

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2013, 10:08 pm »
Thanks for posting this, I'll definitely be playing around with it.  :thumb:

mike

chip

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2013, 11:29 pm »
This also works with Foobar in case you are not running Jriver.

Russtafarian

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2013, 12:08 am »
FWIW, John Atkinson at Stereophile came up with similar results:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/bsg-q248l-signal-completion-stage

A few select quotes:

Ah-ha! This looks like a variation on something with which I am familiar: the Blumlein Shuffler, which allows adjustment of a stereo soundstage's width and dates back to the 1930s. By converting a conventional stereo signal into Sum and Difference signals and amplifying or attenuating the Difference signal before rematrixing these signals to produce left and right outputs, the stage width can be reduced or expanded. And if you change the spectral balance of the Difference signal, you can selectively alter the stage width at some frequencies but not others.

At the end of my formal auditioning, I created a Sum-Difference processor with the same Golden Ratio coefficient as the BSG qøl process, using the high-precision DSP engine in Metric Halo's MIO2882+2D FireWire audio interface, and sending the dithered 24-bit output via AES/EBU to the CP-800. Comparing the result of this processing to the Signal Completion Stage's, operating on decoded versions of the same files, was fascinating: My preference was for the BSG, even though the effect on the soundstage was virtually identical.

mojave

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2013, 03:25 pm »
JRiver's own Effects DSP with the Surround Field option is based on the Blumlein Shuffler mid-side processing.