Help with Amp

Joseg

Help with Amp
« on: 8 Aug 2010, 01:29 am »
Hi,
I´m new in Audio Circle and this is my first post.
I´m planning to buy a pair of speakers. The options are: Audio Physic Tempo 25 (80'%) and Dynaudio Focus 220 (20%). My question is related to what amplifier could match the best with the speakers (my preference is Audio Physic).
I have heard Ayon Orion (PP 60 Watts) and it´s a good option. I like tubes but ... are they powerful enough for the Tempo 25? . The other option in tubes is the Audion Silver Night monoblocks (24watts).
Thinking about solid state, I have these options: NAD M3, Primare I30 Aand Perreaux Radiance R200i. 
In your opinion, which of the amps would gives me the best sinergy for Jazz and progresive rock?.
Thanks in advance for your help  :D

silver_strings

Re: Help with Amp
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2010, 06:37 am »
Check out the Audiospace tube amps they can power hard loads very easily. I have an audiospace mini-2004 thats 13 watts that drive my towers and it has more than enough power to fill my 20x18  room with clear sound.

http://www.audiospace-hifi.com/News.asp?SupMenuID=0&MenuID=1050&SelectedID=4

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2010, 07:58 am »
I should use the AudioMirror SET in parallel, 45Watt 6C33 monoblocks, it have 4 and 8ohms taps: http://www.audiomirror.com/images/vacuumtube6c33ca.html

This beautiful amp is in a sale now, at even lower price(2,950dollars per pair) at audiogon: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1284410632&/Audio-Mirror-45W-SET-pair-mono
A real bargain IMO, Gustavo

Joseg

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2010, 01:40 am »
Guys,

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I do not live in the US, so It's difficult for me to buy (and more difficult to listen) any of the amplificators that you mention.
Anyone knows the amplificators that I mentioned?. I could expand the options to a couple of more alternatives like Bryston (the basic models) and probably Arcam. Anything different should be a "blind purchase" and I do not like to experiment that much.
Thanks again for ypur support.
Jose

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2010, 03:47 am »
Hi,

I've always found that NAD is midfi at best imo.  I started with NAD in the 1980's and it was good value but when you compare it to more expensive equipment it does not produce audiophile sound.

Bryston get very good reviews you might want to start there.  I had a Perreaux phonostage a few years ago and didn't care for it.

What part of the world are you living in?

Regards

Rod

raindance

« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2010, 01:08 am »
Audio Physic Tempo 25 + Ayon Orion looks like a great match. Make sure the Ayon is happy with the 4 ohm load - listen to the combo before you buy.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2010, 01:58 am »
Audio Physic Tempo 25 + Ayon Orion looks like a great match. Make sure the Ayon is happy with the 4 ohm load - listen to the combo before you buy.
No one tube amp is happy with a 4 ohms speaker, unless it is a big amp.  If this speaker are 4 ohms looks better use a solid-state amp. I would like the Bryston B100 integrated or the 2B/3B or an Odyssey Stratos much more affordable and not need listen to buy as there is plenty of good press reports IMO.
In the 90 years a friend had a Dynaco-70 driving a 4 ohms JBL L-90 and the EL34 tubes lasts few hours, the first one go with only 500 hours.
Hope this help.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2010, 02:44 am »
I own Audio Physic Yara Evolution Bookshelves with a Bryston B60 integrated amp.  Excellent synergy IMO.  My Yaras are pretty easy to drive, and I think all APs are easy too, relatively speaking.  I think the majority are 4 ohm, but it's an easy 4 ohms.  I'm not good with reading specs and interpreting them, but this is what I've been told by a trusted dealer.  My B60 doesn't break a sweat. 

If you have access to Bryston, give them a try.  I'm not blindly recommending it, because I don't think there's any blind recommendations in audio. 

Audio Physic and Bryston ate both very truthful presentations.  AP's "No loss of fine detail" slogan is pretty accurate.  Both companies pull off the balancing act of being honest and musical at the same time.  Very few others do, to my ears at least. 

raindance

« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 2010, 10:45 am »
I'll restate what I said earlier: Try it. Most Audio Physic speakers are a relatively easy 4 ohm load, and a good tube amp, such as the Ayon, should be good with them. It will NOT affect tube life having 4 ohm speakers. I have used low impedance speakers with tubes for years.

Try the combo. If the bass is tight and not under-damped, the high treble sounds natural, and you can get enough volume in YOUR room, then I say go for it. If anything sounds "off" - then don't.

While I agree that Bryston make good gear, they do not sound anything like tubes. On the Odyssey Stratos idea - I have owned that amp and it is bright - it has its place in a system with warm, laid back speakers or with a tube preamp but with Audio Physic speakers it'll tear your ears out.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2010, 06:51 pm »
I'll restate what I said earlier: Try it. Most Audio Physic speakers are a relatively easy 4 ohm load, and a good tube amp, such as the Ayon, should be good with them. It will NOT affect tube life having 4 ohm speakers. I have used low impedance speakers with tubes for years.

Try the combo. If the bass is tight and not under-damped, the high treble sounds natural, and you can get enough volume in YOUR room, then I say go for it. If anything sounds "off" - then don't.

While I agree that Bryston make good gear, they do not sound anything like tubes. On the Odyssey Stratos idea - I have owned that amp and it is bright - it has its place in a system with warm, laid back speakers or with a tube preamp but with Audio Physic speakers it'll tear your ears out.
Thanks for these new info.  I withdrawal my comment then.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2010, 07:52 pm »
Jose,

I am very familiar with the Audion Silver Night 7Watt (single ended) 300B MKll integrated, and it is the amplifier that I would own if I could not afford the Audio Note monoblocks that I own now. However, I'm not familiar with the Audion monoblock that you mention. Is it a parallel single ended 300B amp? If it is, and if it is a mark two version, I would buy it if I felt that I need the extra power to drive a less efficient speaker, such as 89dB and 4ohms.

How big is your room? Will you be using the back wall or corners for sound reinforcement?

Eric

« Reply #11 on: 10 Aug 2010, 08:10 pm »
I have also owned a Bryston 4BSST and really enjoyed my time with it. Amps you might want to look at are the Monarchy tube /SS hybrids. I won the Se-250's and love them. What I like is that you get the bass control of SS, but can also tailor the sound by rolling the tube section.

raindance

« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2010, 02:02 am »
Jose,

I am very familiar with the Audion Silver Night 7Watt (single ended) 300B MKll integrated, and it is the amplifier that I would own if I could not afford the Audio Note monoblocks that I own now. However, I'm not familiar with the Audion monoblock that you mention. Is it a parallel single ended 300B amp? If it is, and if it is a mark two version, I would buy it if I felt that I need the extra power to drive a less efficient speaker, such as 89dB and 4ohms.

How big is your room? Will you be using the back wall or corners for sound reinforcement?

He is talking about an Ayon amp, a different brand from Audion. They make really nice stuff but it is a push pull amp using KT88's, not SET. Link: http://www.ayonaudiousa.com/us/products/amplifier/integrated-amplifier/orion.html

Quiet Earth

« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2010, 03:24 am »
Oops. Did I mess up?  :oops:

The other option in tubes is the Audion Silver Night monoblocks (24watts).

Unfortunately I do not live in the US, so It's difficult for me to buy (and more difficult to listen) any of the amplificators that you mention.
Anyone knows the amplificators that I mentioned?.

The Audion amplifiers are indeed more popular outside of the United States than inside. I thought that was one of the amps that Jose was interested in.

I've spent a reasonable amount of time listening to the Silver Night series on various speakers, so that's why I made the comment. Sorry if I goofed up.

raindance

« Reply #14 on: 11 Aug 2010, 10:35 am »
No biggie !
 :)

Quiet Earth

« Reply #15 on: 11 Aug 2010, 02:13 pm »
Ok. I re-read the question a few more times just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind completely  :green:. Jose has his heart set on the AP Tempo speakers and his specific amp choices are :

Ayon Orion
Audion Silver Night
NAD M3
Primare I30 A
Perreaux Radiance R200i

It seems the main issue he is worried about is having enough power and synergy.

My Yaras are pretty easy to drive, and I think all APs are easy too, relatively speaking.  I think the majority are 4 ohm, but it's an easy 4 ohms.  I'm not good with reading specs and interpreting them, but this is what I've been told by a trusted dealer.

I'll stick with my original post then. I would buy the Audion.   :thumb:

raindance

« Reply #16 on: 11 Aug 2010, 08:14 pm »
Ok. I re-read the question a few more times just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind completely  :green:. Jose has his heart set on the AP Tempo speakers and his specific amp choices are :

Ayon Orion
Audion Silver Night
NAD M3
Primare I30 A
Perreaux Radiance R200i

It seems the main issue he is worried about is having enough power and synergy.

I'll stick with my original post then. I would buy the Audion.   :thumb:

You're not losing your marbles, I didn't review the post properly! I don't think the Audion Silver Nights would be a good match with these speakers, however, unless he plans on late night listening only, but I do think a PP tube amp would sound great with them. AP speakers are detail hounds and I don't personally enjoy them with solid state amps. All a matter of taste, however.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #17 on: 12 Aug 2010, 02:40 am »
APs are indeed detail hounds, and Bryston can be a bit too honest for some tastes.  What is really important in a system like this is the source.  The speakers and amp will shine a bright light on what they're fed.  My Rega Apollo really makes the system sing.  I think something like a Benchmark DAC1 would bleach and/or etch the sound too much.

For the record, I mention Bryston because the OP mentioned it a post or two after his first post.