Ahhhh. . .I keep trying to get fully back in this hobby, but I can't!

pjchappy

The past 2-years, I've been doing my best to get back into this hobby, a few years after selling off most of my equipment. I have bought a preamp/DAC/amp combo (currently, used just as a pre/DAC), amps, cables, power conditioner, and a ton of DIY rigid fiberglass treatments (great improvement!).  My very modest system truly has never sounded better! :thumb:  Nevertheless, I keep finding myself pouring more and more money into my #1 hobby, which is making music.  I really want to finish my own music.*

Anyways, I love sitting back and listening to music.  Always have.  However, I keep finding myself grabbing a guitar and playing it, instead.  Recently, while working on the bass line of one of my recordings, I discovered a high-pitched whine. . .which I traced back to some rattling pieces on my (very cheap and free) bass guitar.  After putting quite a bit of money into recording equipment and gear, I knew I needed a new bass.  After several weeks, I had it pretty much nailed down, brand and model-wise.  I then came across the following picture and then copied all this guy's options: http://www.carvinguitars.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=20246 

My original idea of the same model bass would have been quite a bit cheaper, but I just fell in love with this one.  I'm sure its stealthy good looks aren't for everyone, but I love it!  So, I called Carvin's custom shop and one just like it will be mine in about 5 to 6 more weeks.  Can't wait!

At least I'm still doing my best to save up for new speakers!!! :rock:

Paul

* For anyone interested, some very rough and old "demos" can be found via my signature link.

JakeJ

Congratulations on a beautiful bass, Paul.  I say follow your passion and other interests will fall into place when the time is right.

Russell Dawkins

A friend plays a great sounding bass he put together from Carvin components.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Very sharp look bass. I too like the black on black. Do you have any demo music of your own that you wold like others (me) to audition? I am always looking for unique music for the showroom.

pardales

I think you have a good problem. I keep trying to get fully out of this hobby, but can't! Though I have made great progress lately.   :D

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Why would you want to get out of this hobby? It's nearly ideal, except it can make one a couch potato.

Paul: Recording and then listening to your own music is great from a technical point of view. There isn't a much better way to gauge system performance. You should become a reviewer!  :eyebrows:

mcgsxr

Nice bass Paul - as a former player myself, I respect anyone who plays a 5 string!

Only one question though, why the frets?   :lol:

Were I you, I would focus on the making of music, and let the replay of music return as a priority when it does.

Ericus Rex

A friend of mine has a complete Carvin rig:  bass, head and two cabs.  Really nice stuff and very fairly priced!

I've dabbled with the idea of getting a V220 to let my inner headbanger out.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=v220

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
That is a VERY cool looking bass!!! I would buy the same one also if I played..I like that look!! ALOT!! :thumb: :thumb:

Nuance

Paul,

Congrats on your new purchase!  I personally like the look a lot.  Does it have a one piece, through neck?  I am looking at the tiny pics on my phone so its hard to tell.

pjchappy

Do you have any demo music of your own that you wold like others (me) to audition? I am always looking for unique music for the showroom.

Not yet.  I'm currently working on my new recordings.

A friend of mine has a complete Carvin rig:  bass, head and two cabs.  Really nice stuff and very fairly priced!

I've dabbled with the idea of getting a V220 to let my inner headbanger out.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=v220

Well, being factory direct helps.  The bass I bought was about $1300, which makes it about the price of a MIA Fender Jazz or Precision bass.  However, they are custom, as you can select from many different options, including different headstocks.  The headstock on mine is not the standard one for that model.  It is a reverse of their Icon bass headstock.

Stop dabbling and dive in. :rock:

Does it have a one piece, through neck?  I am looking at the tiny pics on my phone so its hard to tell.

No, this one is a bolt on.  It is their version of a Fender Jazz bass.  They make a 4 string version, too.

Paul

turkey

I really like Carvin gear, and I'm sure you'll like your new bass.

I used to own a couple of Carvin electrics, but I foolishly sold them. However, I won a gift certificate from them a few years ago and got one of their acoustics and it's really nice.

I also like their amps. You get a nice sound out of them, they're durable, and they're not expensive.

fredgarvin

I had a 40 watt (i think) Carvin Nomad that served me well.

I relate totally to the thread, I haven't bought any new gear in quite awhile. Partly because i rarely listen without plugging in and playing along. Kind of ruins the 'critical listening' of gear! The music is more important anyway. I do like the gear though and one day if my economy picks up I'll be buying new stuff.

pjchappy

I had a 40 watt (i think) Carvin Nomad that served me well.

It's 50 watts.  That is a 1 x 12" combo.  I have its bigger brother, the Belair, which is a 2 x 12" combo.  I like it a lot!  I don't really gig, so it is way too loud for my purposes.  I use an attenuator, which really helps. . .but even with that, it is still very loud. . . especially when you really push the tubes.

That amp and the bass I have on order are the only pieces of Carvin gear I own.  However, I do want a guitar with humbuckers. . .and I'm leaning towards a semi-hollow body (which I would buy waaayyyy down the road).  I'm really diggin' this model!  I would likely get it in a plain colored, painted top (probably black), with a Bigsby tremolo, abalone block inlays, ebony fingerboard, and chrome hardware.  Here's a gallery for it.  Also, you can see a somewhat similar model in the pic of Joe Walsh below (along with the Belair in the background).

I relate totally to the thread, I haven't bought any new gear in quite awhile. Partly because i rarely listen without plugging in and playing along. Kind of ruins the 'critical listening' of gear! The music is more important anyway.

Nice!  I just usually shut off the music and work on my own stuff.  Sadly, I haven't had the time lately to do much of that, either.  It's been work, work, work. . .

Paul
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2010, 01:42 am by pjchappy »

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
Paul, I dig the music man. :thumb:  Mine sound much rougher. 8) 

I'm the same way, always deciding what I want next--an improved instrument or a nicer piece of stereo equipment.  Do you do your own percussion as well?

Dan

pjchappy

Appreciate it!  The stuff up there is very, very rough, on many levels.  I'm in the process of re-recording everything (plus several songs that aren't up there). 

Most of those songs lack percussion, due to the fact I couldn't add anything at the time.  As a result, I made some very crappy basslines as a very poor substitute/compromise/. . . stupidity.  Regardless, I did everything on all of those songs, except Foxes. On that one, I just did the vocals and wrote the lyrics (and a teeny, tiny repeating guitar part). 

All those recordings were just meant to get my ideas down.  Now that I have better equipment and more equipment (can now add drums, keys. . .and very soon, my new bass :D), I plan on taking my time and record a full album.  This is all for my own pleasure.  I just want to get this full idea recorded.  It's not an easy process, but I have learned a lot.  Haven't even finished my first song. . .but 2 are partially complete.

Paul

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
I'm in much the same boat.  I'm personally just hoping to get the time to really do it.

Good luck and keep it up.

Dan

turkey

That amp and the bass I have on order are the only pieces of Carvin gear I own.  However, I do want a guitar with humbuckers. . .and I'm leaning towards a semi-hollow body (which I would buy waaayyyy down the road).  I'm really diggin'

The Carvin semi-hollow body guitars do look nice, and in the clips I've heard they sound good too.

However, what I would someday like to get is a Moonstone M-80. I once had a chance to buy one from a dealer that had gone out of business. The people liquidating the store had no idea at all what it was, and I didn't really either, although I could tell it was made extremely well and it played like a dream. However, I was stuck on solid-body guitars at the time, I had never heard of Moonstone before, and the price was so low that I figured it couldn't be any good.

I told one of my friends about it the next day and suddenly found myself alone in his apartment. I heard the door bang and then his car accelerating down the street. Unfortunately, the guitar had already been sold by the time he got there.

Ah well, that's how it goes.

http://www.moonstoneguitars.com/wp-content/gallery/electric-guitars/PLUGGE~2.jpg

pjchappy

Just came today.  Here it is (forgive the relatively poor quality pics):

Haven't had a chance to play it yet. . .

Paul

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Nice!!!!!!!!!!! :banana piano: :drums: :guitar: