How much better are the MB1's compared to IB1's ???

xsparky

« on: 27 Mar 2006, 06:54 pm »
Hi,
   I was wondering how much better the PMC MB1's might sound compared to the PMC IB1's?I have a pair of IB1's that I am very happy with,but have a chance to possibbly purchase used MB1's.My room is 18 x 13 aprox.and I sit on the wide side.
                       Any comments,thanks.

KUB3

« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2006, 03:22 pm »
I'd wager your room is already too small for the IB1. I had IB2 in a larger room and the bass wasn't as sharp as if they had been in a larger room, with the speakers further from the walls. I fully expect the MB1 will be worse in your room. Bigger is not always better, as it causes a lot of problems.

Do you plan on using room correction digital eq like behringer? Would be well worth it to solve some of the issues of large bass in small room.

canucks0

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2006, 01:31 am »
How about treating with bass traps and both absorption and diffusion panels like Echobusters or ASC?

KUB3

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2006, 06:20 pm »
Seems rather odd to add more bass, then to absorb that extra bass with traps. Unless you have a woofer fetish of course.  :?

Jason Nugent

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2006, 05:16 pm »
Quote from: KUB3
Seems rather odd to add more bass, then to absorb that extra bass with traps. Unless you have a woofer fetish of course.  :?

The pont of the bass trap isn't to absorb the bass from the larger woofer, but to smooth out the bass response in the room.   I've been in untreated rooms that gained bass response after treatment, because the null points were reduced in size.  As a bonus, the extra bass was tighter and much cleaner.