BDP pi

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BDP pi
« Reply #60 on: 4 Mar 2016, 03:34 am »
Hi Guys,

Any idea of an estimated RRP?  Btw totally not worried about touch screen that is why I use an iPad with my BDP 1.  Really glad that you are making a cheaper product to get people into this format of music.  I'm super happy since I shelved my cdp.

Cheers Rod

there are still a bunch of unknowns, but this could be be the least expensive piece we make (not including the remotes).

Marius

« Reply #61 on: 4 Mar 2016, 07:39 am »
HI Chris,

Appreciated, and easy to follow.
But why then bother in the first place? If it only shows some basic information, a jpeg, and does that even in that very small resolution, you could have easily left it out, and saved quite a bit on the production costs, and consequently the msrp. reaching out to an even bigger audience?

Maybe even take out all buttons... only a few die-hards use those i suspect?

Cheers,
Marius

I think you guys overestimate how big that screen is, it's 1.5" diagonal.  It's resolution is 160x128 pixels, basically it's the smallest display we could find that wouldn't break the bank.  Personally I find finger prints all over my display to be the opposite of elegant, one mans opinion.

Marius

« Reply #62 on: 4 Mar 2016, 07:45 am »
it better be indeed, i get the impression you overestimate the pockets of the audience you seek... ;-)
I've got 4 of those in my family, and they are far from able to invest half the price of the current BDP, as James mentioned before. Let alone hooking it up to a serious setup. And they are used to some serious listening at home ...

Cheers,
Marius

there are still a bunch of unknowns, but this could be be the least expensive piece we make (not including the remotes).

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #63 on: 4 Mar 2016, 08:54 am »

...the optical out can do 192/24?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #64 on: 4 Mar 2016, 09:25 am »
...the optical out can do 192/24?

al.

No just 96/24 on optical.  Coax can do 192/24 as well as USB.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #65 on: 4 Mar 2016, 09:29 am »
it better be indeed, i get the impression you overestimate the pockets of the audience you seek... ;-)
I've got 4 of those in my family, and they are far from able to invest half the price of the current BDP, as James mentioned before. Let alone hooking it up to a serious setup. And they are used to some serious listening at home ...

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

Well I hope it appeals to a larger younger audience - we shall see -  but based on the announcement we have over 50 orders already.  :thumb:

Also the ability to see the IP address was the main reason for the display as that seems to be the biggest hurtle for most people trying to connect to there hand held devices.

james

martydmnt

« Reply #66 on: 4 Mar 2016, 03:46 pm »
Well I hope it appeals to a larger younger audience - we shall see -  but based on the announcement we have over 50 orders already.  :thumb:

More than just a younger audience, I think! I have a paltry library of high resolution material (maybe a couple dozen), and at this point can't justify the cost of adding a BDP-2 (as great of a product as it may be).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #67 on: 4 Mar 2016, 03:50 pm »
More than just a younger audience, I think! I have a paltry library of high resolution material (maybe a couple dozen), and at this point can't justify the cost of adding a BDP-2 (as great of a product as it may be).

Hi

Yes that's a good point as people that are thinking about going down the digital road can give it a try without having to spend thousands of dollars  :thumb:

james

Don_S

« Reply #68 on: 4 Mar 2016, 03:58 pm »
I think you guys overestimate how big that screen is, it's 1.5" diagonal.  It's resolution is 160x128 pixels, basically it's the smallest display we could find that wouldn't break the bank.  Personally I find finger prints all over my display to be the opposite of elegant, one mans opinion.

Make that two men's opinions.  I don't even touch my equipment without putting on a pair of white cotton gloves.  I have two pairs sitting on my rack at all times. Touch my equipment with bare hands  :nono: 

Don_S

« Reply #69 on: 4 Mar 2016, 03:58 pm »
Hi

Yes that's a good point as people that are thinking about going down the digital road can give it a try without having to spend thousands of dollars  :thumb:

james

AKA "Gateway Drug"  :lol:

SoundGame

« Reply #70 on: 4 Mar 2016, 04:41 pm »
Perhaps this is one product that should be priced closed to cost, not a revenue targeted product but one to put Bryston into more homes and systems than ever before, building brand recognition for a broader and new generation of client.  Tighter pricing would make it more appealing to a wider consumer audience. 

Hi

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #71 on: 4 Mar 2016, 04:43 pm »
Perhaps this is one product that should be priced closed to cost, not a revenue targeted product but one to put Bryston into more homes and systems than ever before, building brand recognition for a broader and new generation of client.  Tighter pricing would make it more appealing to a wider consumer audience.

Yes I agree and we are really tight to the wire on this one. Our accountant has ban me from his office.

james
« Last Edit: 4 Mar 2016, 07:48 pm by James Tanner »

SoundGame

« Reply #72 on: 4 Mar 2016, 04:46 pm »

Is there a way to build in compatibility to the MPS2 so that the wall wart can be optional for those that don't have a Bryston power supply?  Maybe even just an adaptor cable that allows use with an MPA2b?

Power supply is a WallWart.

We've changed the output stage (Hi Fi Berry Digi+)  a bit on the coax out to have a similar output stage as the rest of our line of digital players.

james

SoundGame

« Reply #73 on: 4 Mar 2016, 04:48 pm »
Lol.  Good work James.  You can always still text the bean counters. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #74 on: 4 Mar 2016, 05:10 pm »

Is there a way to build in compatibility to the MPS2 so that the wall wart can be optional for those that don't have a Bryston power supply?  Maybe even just an adaptor cable that allows use with an MPA2b?

We are looking at that so it may be possible - still testing.

james

Krutsch

« Reply #75 on: 4 Mar 2016, 05:36 pm »
Maybe even take out all buttons... only a few die-hards use those i suspect?

I use the Play/Pause buttons all of the time, like when the phone rings and I need to pause the music (faster than reaching for an app).

Marius

« Reply #76 on: 4 Mar 2016, 05:50 pm »
I use the Play/Pause buttons all of the time, like when the phone rings and I need to pause the music (faster than reaching for an app).

Lol, so do i, it usually is the only option to get the BDP out of a stuck and hanging state. ;-)
On/off button used mostly here.

Btw, don't u have the BR2 remote ? That's a real bonus , controlling the bdp, bda, bcd and bp26!
Especially for those unexpected phone calls ...

Cheers
Marius

1ZIP

« Reply #77 on: 5 Mar 2016, 05:11 am »
Would have been nice to have had a USB port on the front like the other player.

R. Daneel

« Reply #78 on: 5 Mar 2016, 08:17 am »
Removed

R. Daneel

« Reply #79 on: 5 Mar 2016, 08:18 am »
Hi James!

I take it there will be no dedicated audio board inside like in the BDP-2 and the original BDP-1 and that all processing will be done on the Raspberry itself? If that is the case, how did you manage to implement coaxial and optical outputs, by adding a "daughter board" of a sort or by modifying the Raspberry itself?

One other thing, now that Bryston is trying to broaden it's appeal to younger public, you mentioned a miniature 1/3rd size headphone amplifier would be a nice addition to the Bryston "mini" range. Is this amplifier going to become a reality at some point?

Cheers!
Antun