BDP pi

25x

Re: BDP pi
« Reply #120 on: 19 Apr 2016, 11:17 pm »
Thanks that sounds really good.

Yes a tablet may have more functions, but if there is an incoming phone call or you just wanna skip to next song an oldschool remote is much easier to use I think. At least I personally would like to use a remote additional, so it´s good the Pi could use this.

Jimmy71

« Reply #121 on: 20 Apr 2016, 09:42 pm »
Sorry 25 just saw this - thanks for the poke.

You can use your computer or your phone or a laptop or a tablet to control.  I use an IPAD which is very popular but I recently bought one of those windows non-fan light weight units and it works great as well.  The Pi is a Linux operating system so there are many third party Apps you can use for control and the is a built in Bryston Web GUI which I use all the time now. The Bryston BR2 remote can be used but it has limited functions - I would recommend a tablet.

I am not sure on the total wattage or amperage but I will let Chris answer that one.  I have never had an issue with any of my SSD USB or Sata drives.

james
Hi James do you have release date and price (approximately)for the bdp-pi?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #122 on: 20 Apr 2016, 11:18 pm »
Hi James do you have release date and price (approximately)for the bdp-pi?

Chris delivered the final prototype to my office today so we should be up and running by mid May.

Hope to come in around $1200

james

tulysses

« Reply #123 on: 20 Apr 2016, 11:24 pm »
Could you please explain why the BDP1-USB was discontinued? Did you believe it was a choice between offering the BDP-pi or the USB, or was there a production issue with the USB?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #124 on: 21 Apr 2016, 12:08 am »
Could you please explain why the BDP1-USB was discontinued? Did you believe it was a choice between offering the BDP-pi or the USB, or was there a production issue with the USB?

Primarily we didn't want people buying BDP-1USB's within a short period of time from the release of the BDP-Pi.  The BDP-Pi should be a more capable unit then the BDP-1USB at a much lower price point.  $1200 vs what would likley now be $2000. 

The Pi is more powerful then the AMD Geode CPU in all lot of ways that matter and it has 4x the system memory and had SPDIF coax and toslink out.

tulysses

« Reply #125 on: 21 Apr 2016, 12:32 am »
Primarily we didn't want people buying BDP-1USB's within a short period of time from the release of the BDP-Pi.  The BDP-Pi should be a more capable unit then the BDP-1USB at a much lower price point.  $1200 vs what would likley now be $2000. 

The Pi is more powerful then the AMD Geode CPU in all lot of ways that matter and it has 4x the system memory and had SPDIF coax and toslink out.

Features/capability seems like a clear advantage for the pi. From a sound quality perspective, which is my main concern? James stated earlier in this topic the regular BDP1 would sound better than the BDP pi. Not sure if that comment carries over to the BDP1-USB or not for systems using usb out.

Jimmy71

« Reply #126 on: 21 Apr 2016, 03:27 am »
Chris delivered the final prototype to my office today so we should be up and running by mid May.

Hope to come in around $1200

james
Will the mps-2 be able to power it?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #127 on: 21 Apr 2016, 12:34 pm »
Will the mps-2 be able to power it?

Yes, but not it and a USB bus powered hard drive

Jimmy71

« Reply #128 on: 21 Apr 2016, 01:21 pm »
Yes, but not it and a USB bus powered hard drive

Sorry I didnt understand what you wrote and can you please tell me will it have airplay?                     

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #129 on: 21 Apr 2016, 04:05 pm »

Sorry I didnt understand what you wrote and can you please tell me will it have airplay?                     

The MPS-2 can power just the BDP-Pi, if you plug in a USB drive that draws power from the USB port if won't work.  no it won't have official airplay capability

Marius

« Reply #130 on: 22 Apr 2016, 04:04 pm »
HI

Missed this before: Visiting Bryston at Montreal Salon Audio https://www.hifiberry.com/2016/03/visit ... lon-audio/ nice!

Starting to build my own Raspberry just for fun, i need to decide to go for the Digi+ or DAC+
https://www.hifiberry.com/product/hifiberry-dac-pro/ option.

The latter would spare me the extra DAC also, so would be an even bigger jump in cost and complexity compared to the big setup of BDA and BDP. 100 E and about for a complete hires system is worth the try isn't it?

Can connect to the BP26 directly and to my older Quad set which doesn't have a Dac yet, to stream minim server on the NAS. Volumio even has native AirPlay support which is a nice extra.Or, am i missing something here? This Raspberry DAC+version will be able to act as the renderer, and decode into the Amp directly?

As described with the DIGI+ on
http://www.hifizine.com/2015/10/pifi-ho ... ry-part-1/

Cheers,
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #131 on: 22 Apr 2016, 06:15 pm »
HI

Missed this before: Visiting Bryston at Montreal Salon Audio https://www.hifiberry.com/2016/03/visit ... lon-audio/ nice!

Starting to build my own Raspberry just for fun, i need to decide to go for the Digi+ or DAC+
https://www.hifiberry.com/product/hifiberry-dac-pro/ option.

... to stream minim server on the NAS. Volumio even has native AirPlay support which is a nice extra.

http://www.hifizine.com/2015/10/pifi-ho ... ry-part-1/

Cheers,
Marius

Volumio + MinimServer is a thing of beauty. I have a Cubox-iPro4 that was slightly more expensive that what you quote - $139, plus I added an iFi-Audio iPower 5v, which was another $49.00. I can stream via Wi-Fi at 192/24 and output via TOSLINK to my DAC - sounds wonderful.

I am surprised that the BDP-Pi won't support 192/24 via optical out, but maybe the Cubox-i's Freescale MXi processor and board support package makes something work better with the TOSLINK output.

Additionally, to experiment, I imaged Signalyst's HQ Player's Network Audio Adapter (NAA) on a second micro SD card and tried that with Roon. That combination is an amazing piece of software.

It's great time to be a computer nerd and an audiophile... there are so many options out there, it's incredible!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #132 on: 22 Apr 2016, 11:01 pm »

I am surprised that the BDP-Pi won't support 192/24 via optical out, but maybe the Cubox-i's Freescale MXi processor and board support package makes something work better with the TOSLINK output.

Toslink in general doesn't reliably support anything over 96khz, i don't think bryston has ever officially supported anything over 96khz via toslink for this reason.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #133 on: 23 Apr 2016, 12:36 am »
What I have a hard time understanding and come from a Cyrus transport isnt digital data just 1-0's?  I know it cant be that simple as different transport sound different but why shouldn't they sound the same but the Dac be the determining factor.  If this isnt going to sound as good as the USB-1 why not keep that in the line up and have it made to order?

Marius

« Reply #134 on: 23 Apr 2016, 10:12 am »
HI Ken,

What to test: Rasperry + Dac+ (all in a box) or Raspberry + Digi+ (still needing the external DAC).

Am i right assuming the DAC+ will run the Volumio+Minimserver just as well, while at the same time being able to decode?

Cheers,
Marius

Volumio + MinimServer is a thing of beauty. I have a Cubox-iPro4 that was slightly more expensive that what you quote - $139, plus I added an iFi-Audio iPower 5v, which was another $49.00. I can stream via Wi-Fi at 192/24 and output via TOSLINK to my DAC - sounds wonderful.

Additionally, to experiment, I imaged Signalyst's HQ Player's Network Audio Adapter (NAA) on a second micro SD card and tried that with Roon. That combination is an amazing piece of software.

It's great time to be a computer nerd and an audiophile... there are so many options out there, it's incredible!

Krutsch

« Reply #135 on: 23 Apr 2016, 02:18 pm »
HI Ken,

What to test: Rasperry + Dac+ (all in a box) or Raspberry + Digi+ (still needing the external DAC).

Am i right assuming the DAC+ will run the Volumio+Minimserver just as well, while at the same time being able to decode?

Cheers,
Marius

Up to you, of course... if you already have a nice DAC, like a Bryston, you would want to use it, no?

I think the R-Pi + DAC options (e.g. IQaudIO) are best suited for secondary listening rooms, where space is a premium and you just want one small box.

EDIT: to answer your question, however: you will need a separate computer to run MinimServer, with Volumio running on the Pi+DAC. Volumio has pre-built images on their web site. Similar for MinimServer, but you need a real platform to run it. Many have success running MinimServer on popular NAS boxes, like QNap and Synology. I run my instance on an older Mac Mini.

Marius

« Reply #136 on: 23 Apr 2016, 02:35 pm »
Thanks Ken,

And indeed, i have minim server running on my Nas, and the Pi will start in the secondary listening room. Pi+DAC+ it wil be for starters then. If it works out fine, ill just add a Pi + Digi+ for the main room ;)

btw, my NAs is to simple a processor for Plex to run as it should, transcoding subtitels et all. Maybe a second Raspberry could be working as a server, for Plex and Minim server, reading from my Nas, and serving to the rendering raspberry+Dac.

That way i could solve both my NAs issues (too slow, not powerful enough), and experiment with the Pi for under 200 euro;s. Magic!

Cheers,
Marius

Up to you, of course... if you already have a nice DAC, like a Bryston, you would want to use it, no?

I think the R-Pi + DAC options (e.g. IQaudIO) are best suited for secondary listening rooms, where space is a premium and you just want one small box.

EDIT: to answer your question, however: you will need a separate computer to run MinimServer, with Volumio running on the Pi+DAC. Volumio has pre-built images on their web site. Similar for MinimServer, but you need a real platform to run it. Many have success running MinimServer on popular NAS boxes, like QNap and Synology. I run my instance on an older Mac Mini.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #137 on: 23 Apr 2016, 02:38 pm »
Unfortunately the BDP pi will cost double here in Europe than what it will cost in Canada... The BDP 2 does about €4200 I think. So the Pi will end up hugging €1800 - €2000.
I still want one though. I guess I'll have to look for non Mafico related channels...

Does it stream radio? If so, which service is used? Receiva, TuneIn, any other?

Krutsch

« Reply #138 on: 23 Apr 2016, 02:38 pm »
Thanks Ken,

And indeed, i have minim server running on my Nas, and the Pi will start in the secondary listening room. Pi+DAC+ it wil be for starters then. If it works out fine, ill just add a Pi + Digi+ for the main room ;)

Cheers,
Marius

I am really hoping to do something like that with a BDP-Pi, but Bryston has to fix/update the DLNA rendering component in their software stack.

In the meantime, I will likely just use MPD playback with NAS or a big USB thumb drive (I don't want any spinning rust in my living room  :nono: )

Ken

Marius

« Reply #139 on: 23 Apr 2016, 02:42 pm »
which of course is ridiculous indeed, and unfortunately reason enough it won't match Bryston's goals of reaching a wider audience, at least not in Europe. That's why i'll try the real raspberry. We'll get that for about 100 euros, complete with dac.. difficult to beat.
Minim has streaming radio built in, so that might be an interesting option, as is the native Airplay support, with which you can stream your Tunein radio feed into the raspberry setup.

cheers,
Marius

Unfortunately the BDP pi will cost double here in Europe than what it will cost in Canada... The BDP 2 does about €4200 I think. So the Pi will end up hugging €1800 - €2000.
I still want one though. I guess I'll have to look for non Mafico related channels...

Does it stream radio? If so, which service is used? Receiva, TuneIn, any other?