• The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP pi
« Reply #100 on: 14 Mar 2016, 06:59 pm »

james

1ZIP

« Reply #101 on: 15 Mar 2016, 01:24 am »
I like the idea of this thing.  Something simpler for those of us with less than 30,000 songs.  However, it does look like the other half is missing.   :D But, that's not going to prevent me from acquiring one.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #102 on: 15 Mar 2016, 10:39 am »
I like the idea of this thing.  Something simpler for those of us with less than 30,000 songs.  However, it does look like the other half is missing.   :D But, that's not going to prevent me from acquiring one.

Hi

I have about 41,000 songs on mine now and no issues.  The power supply is a wallwart so thats whats missing from the picture.

james

Krutsch

« Reply #103 on: 15 Mar 2016, 12:18 pm »
Hi

I have about 41,000 songs on mine now and no issues.  The power supply is a wallwart so thats whats missing from the picture.

james

How does it sound, compared with the BDP-1/2?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #104 on: 15 Mar 2016, 01:17 pm »
How does it sound, compared with the BDP-1/2?

It sounds different than the BDP-2.

It is a bit more forward sounding, a little more 'digital' in its tonal balance and the tonal balance seems a little tipped up. But I think its a great introduction to digital audio for those on a budget.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #105 on: 16 Mar 2016, 03:40 pm »
Hi Folks,

Here is a picture of the Bryston Pi Digital Player internals with the modifications we have implemented:

Bryston Pi Mods

1. Power regulator circuit that accepts 7-14 volts, AC or DC from a 2.5mm barrel connector. This circuit also contains over voltage protection/indication and under voltage indication. Indication is provided by a rear mounted LED and the brightness can be adjusted by way of a pot mounted behind the LED.

2.  Bryston output stage for a clean strong signal and impedance matching.

3. The HiFiBerry Digi+ circuit, based around the Wolfson WM8804 digital interface transceiver.

4.  Peripheral connector for display, buttons and IR receiver.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #106 on: 17 Mar 2016, 07:09 pm »

miatadan

• Industry Participant
« Reply #107 on: 17 Mar 2016, 08:09 pm »
Would the performance be better with usb compared to optical or toslink digital?
 Compared to original BDP-1 , is the sound quality comparable?
Any optional power supplies to be available to replace wall wart basic power supply?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #108 on: 17 Mar 2016, 09:03 pm »
Would the performance be better with usb compared to optical or toslink digital?
 Compared to original BDP-1 , is the sound quality comparable?
Any optional power supplies to be available to replace wall wart basic power supply?

Hi

The BDP-1 is going to sound better in my opinion. 

The Pi can be used with the MPS-2 but not with USB drives that are not powered. OK with a NAS or Thumb drives or powered USB drives.

We are looking at making the new Phono Power supply be able to work with the Pi but will be a while.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #109 on: 17 Mar 2016, 09:07 pm »
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/Videos/BDP%CF%80/BDP%CF%80.m4v

higher-res and fixes an unexpected delay on slide 8

MadScientist

« Reply #110 on: 21 Mar 2016, 07:47 am »
I think the cheaper endpoint option is a good move.   If it has support for Roon, I'd buy one (or two).

Jimmy71

« Reply #111 on: 3 Apr 2016, 06:49 pm »
Hi

The BDP-1 is going to sound better in my opinion. 

The Pi can be used with the MPS-2 but not with USB drives that are not powered. OK with a NAS or Thumb drives or powered USB drives.

We are looking at making the new Phono Power supply be able to work with the Pi but will be a while.

james
Hi James will a SSD external work fine with it and do you prefer USB over coaxial? I haven't heard coaxial yet that is why I am asking.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #112 on: 3 Apr 2016, 07:02 pm »
Hi James will a SSD external work fine with it and do you prefer USB over coaxial? I haven't heard coaxial yet that is why I am asking.

Hi Jimmy

SSD's will probably not work unless it is powered

I find on the Pi they sound very similar.

james

schmidtmike76

« Reply #113 on: 4 Apr 2016, 01:04 am »
It sounds different than the BDP-2.

It is a bit more forward sounding, a little more 'digital' in its tonal balance and the tonal balance seems a little tipped up. But I think its a great introduction to digital audio for those on a budget.

james
Did you use the BDA-2 or 3 when trying the Pi out?  I just ordered the BDA-2 today and waiting for the Pi to come out if the sound quality is as good as the USB-1 I heard.

25x

« Reply #114 on: 10 Apr 2016, 04:26 pm »
The BDP pi sounds really nice and interesting!
I have not had any of such audio player so far but I´m looking into buying one since some weeks. Most players are not what I´m looking for or way above my limit. The pi seems the perfect budget player with additional functions.
Some questions:

How is the pi controlled using a tablet, by app or browser?

It seems you also could use an IR remote. What means that IR socket at the rear of the pi?
What functions could be controlled by the IR remote?

Regarding use of USB devices, what would be the limit of current draw? I personally use Samsung SSD which have replaced most of my HDDs. Their 850 Evo seems drawing very little power, 30mW idle and around 2W reading/writing. 

tulysses

« Reply #115 on: 17 Apr 2016, 12:43 am »
Interesting new device, but not sure why the BDP-USB was discontinued. Can you elaborate?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #116 on: 17 Apr 2016, 01:41 am »
Did you use the BDA-2 or 3 when trying the Pi out?  I just ordered the BDA-2 today and waiting for the Pi to come out if the sound quality is as good as the USB-1 I heard.

HI

Used both with good results.

james

25x

« Reply #117 on: 17 Apr 2016, 08:24 am »
No replies to my questions?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #118 on: 17 Apr 2016, 10:08 am »
I have not had any of such audio player so far but I´m looking into buying one since some weeks. Most players are not what I´m looking for or way above my limit. The pi seems the perfect budget player with additional functions.
Some questions:

It seems you also could use an IR remote. What means that IR socket at the rear of the pi?

Regarding use of USB devices, what would be the limit of current draw? I personally use Samsung SSD which have replaced most of my HDDs. Their 850 Evo seems drawing very little power, 30mW idle and around 2W reading/writing.

Sorry 25 just saw this - thanks for the poke.

You can use your computer or your phone or a laptop or a tablet to control.  I use an IPAD which is very popular but I recently bought one of those windows non-fan light weight units and it works great as well.  The Pi is a Linux operating system so there are many third party Apps you can use for control and the is a built in Bryston Web GUI which I use all the time now. The Bryston BR2 remote can be used but it has limited functions - I would recommend a tablet.

I am not sure on the total wattage or amperage but I will let Chris answer that one.  I have never had an issue with any of my SSD USB or Sata drives.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #119 on: 18 Apr 2016, 03:48 pm »
Some questions:

You should be able to power one USB drive off the unit, we've currently tested 1TB Seagate that draws about 500mA.  The BDP Pi has a IR receiver on the front of the unit which which can be used with the Bryston BR2 remote or an Apple Remote (limited testing on functionality).  The IR TX connector on the rear of the unit is for connecting an IR LED accessory (i believe this is being included with the product), this will allow you  to control other Bryston products from the BDP-Pi.  This functionality will initially be limited, but a feature that will be expanded as we develop the software.  The IR is directly connected to the Linux computer so we have more control over remote capability and can release support for additional remotes by way of software updates.

Cheers,
Chris