A great deal on big line sources.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: A great deal on big line sources.
« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2017, 10:02 pm »
Mike, you've got the vacuum bag that will fit it.  What about veneered flat packs with solid wood corners?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 12 Nov 2017, 10:28 pm »
Mike, you've got the vacuum bag that will fit it.  What about veneered flat packs with solid wood corners?

Scott,

That might be doable. I'd need to experiment some to make sure it would look OK. Might be better off using a contrasting wood for the corners rather than trying to match the veneer.

Another approach would be to have a local cabinet maker build them. That would save on shipping.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 12 Nov 2017, 10:29 pm »
I just got a text back from him. He has 4 cabinets (2 pairs) and is building one out right now. 3 are still unopened in their crate. He has a current offer of $1000 for a pair.

I asked him to weigh in here.

gab

I don't know how he'd build a pair out without the drivers. Nothing else uses that same frame to even fit the holes. And I had to design those woofers to have the right impedance (in their groups) and right sensitivity to match the line of tweeters. Plus I priced out the tweeters for less than they could be purchased anywhere else.  :scratch:

2bigears

« Reply #23 on: 12 Nov 2017, 11:14 pm »
 :D are these more than normal ceiling height ,, 8' ?   :D I have a little home .... :)

Vagran_t

« Reply #24 on: 13 Nov 2017, 04:29 am »
I don't know how he'd build a pair out without the drivers. Nothing else uses that same frame to even fit the holes. And I had to design those woofers to have the right impedance (in their groups) and right sensitivity to match the line of tweeters. Plus I priced out the tweeters for less than they could be purchased anywhere else.  :scratch:

Hi everyone, I'm the owner of the cabinets in question. Hi Danny :) I am building a Frankenstein pair for fun and as a learning experience. I got a deal on some drivers that fit the cabinets but not perfectly. I have them wired in series/parallel to achieve around a 16 ohm load. I haves wired the tweeters I ordered yet and I haven't built the crossovers for my project. I'm just playing with one Tower right now but it hasn't been manipulated or damaged in any way for my project. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me. I too hope someone can build these out to specifications because they're already impressive with my hack job. I'll post a couple pictures of what my project looks like so far. Go easy on me everyone I am very new to this and it is my first attempt at building a speaker...

Vagran_t

« Reply #25 on: 13 Nov 2017, 04:35 am »

gab

« Reply #26 on: 13 Nov 2017, 03:36 pm »

Danny - he told me in a text message that he had 48 of the woofers and also had the tweeters and crossover parts on order. He showed a pic of the 20 woofers already installed. Where he got them or "what" they are I have no idea.

gab

gab

« Reply #27 on: 13 Nov 2017, 03:37 pm »
He weighed in while I was typing that last message. Now I can bow out of this thread.  :D

gab

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 13 Nov 2017, 03:38 pm »
:D are these more than normal ceiling height ,, 8' ?   :D I have a little home .... :)

They are a little over 7 feet tall.

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 13 Nov 2017, 03:41 pm »
Danny - he told me in a text message that he had 48 of the woofers and also had the tweeters and crossover parts on order. He showed a pic of the 20 woofers already installed. Where he got them or "what" they are I have no idea.

gab

I have some of the original woofers set back. I have been sitting on them for a while. Some of them have some paint flaking off of the frames, but it could be touched up.

If I sent you a pic it was an older pic with woofers installed. This pair that I have is still new in the box.

If you got a text message then it wasn't from me. I only e-mail.

gab

« Reply #30 on: 13 Nov 2017, 05:14 pm »
I have some of the original woofers set back. I have been sitting on them for a while. Some of them have some paint flaking off of the frames, but it could be touched up.

If I sent you a pic it was an older pic with woofers installed. This pair that I have is still new in the box.

If you got a text message then it wasn't from me. I only e-mail.

Danny - I was referring to Vagran_t  the seller in Spokane. I texted him from the craigslist ad and was just passing on some info from him until he weighed in on this thread. Sorry for any confusion.

gab

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #31 on: 13 Nov 2017, 05:42 pm »
This guy bought a bunch of cabinets from Epiphany Audio old stock.

https://spokane.craigslist.org/ele/d/audiophile-keeper-speaker/6368900567.html

Here is what I quoted him for the parts needed to build them out:

According to an exchange I had with Tang Band I can get a run of the woofers made with a 50 to 55 day lead time. I have to pay for them half down and the second half before they ship. After shipping, customs and duty I can sell you the woofers for $39 each. $1,560 per pair.

And I'll drop the price of the tweeters to $69 each. $2,898. per pair. I stock them and you can see them here: http://gr-research.com/grneo3.aspx

$300 for the crossover parts and plus $160 to add Platinum by-pass caps to the tweeter circuit. The Platinum caps were an additional upgrade.

A set of tube connectors is $59, and wiring is $75.

You'll also need 10 sheets of No Rez for each cabinet. They are $39 each.

The 2" flared ports are $6.00 each.

Everything is in stock except for the woofers. They have to be custom made and there are no other woofers that can be used.

If a group of you guys want to build these out then it is worth it for me to order the woofers. I also have a pair of the cabinets here and I have one other guy that owns a pair of cabinets that really wants to build them out. But I need to at least have a home for half of the 500 minimum order for the woofers or it won't be worth me having them made.

And these originally sold for $27,900 a pair.

A no brainer if you DIY. KABOOM for the buck.

charles

Will2

« Reply #32 on: 18 Nov 2017, 04:24 pm »
Sorry if this is an ignorant question but I was wondering where or how I can find the updates on if the full kit is available to build out these cabinets or not.  Thanks!

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 18 Nov 2017, 04:36 pm »
Sorry if this is an ignorant question but I was wondering where or how I can find the updates on if the full kit is available to build out these cabinets or not.  Thanks!

There was never a kit available for these. They were a commercial product that I designed for a client quite a few years ago.

The cabinets being made available were left over stock from the company Epiphany Audio.

So I have offered to make available everything needed to build them out. But I need a commitment from the guys that buy the cabinets that they will want to build them out. To get any of the woofers made again I will need to order 500 units as a minimum production run. It is quite a financial commitment only worth it if everyone that buys cabinets commit to ordering the drivers needed to build them out. 

Folsom

« Reply #34 on: 18 Nov 2017, 07:38 pm »
It's possible for me to have aluminum cabinets made locally. But for perspective they would become pretty expensive, quickly. At that point they become a commercial product again, and wouldn't be cheaper than the original.

I met up with the seller, nice guy. Hope these happen  :icon_lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 19 Nov 2017, 08:04 pm »
It's possible for me to have aluminum cabinets made locally. But for perspective they would become pretty expensive, quickly. At that point they become a commercial product again, and wouldn't be cheaper than the original.

I met up with the seller, nice guy. Hope these happen  :icon_lol:

It is possible, but that would be really expensive and super heavy.

Folsom

« Reply #36 on: 19 Nov 2017, 11:30 pm »
Shipping would be about the same! But expense becomes competitive with bigger Magico speakers.

Folsom

« Reply #37 on: 28 Nov 2017, 09:31 pm »
Vin, in Spokane, has reduced his price.

Danny Richie

« Reply #38 on: 28 Nov 2017, 09:33 pm »
You guys need to jump on these and I'll help you build out some Epiphany 20/21's for a fraction of what they sold for.

Danny Richie

« Reply #39 on: 15 Jan 2018, 09:15 pm »
Who wants to build out a pair of 21/21's in Rosewood like these?

I have 45 of the woofers in stock. Some have some paint flaking off of the frames and need a little touch up. I'll let the woofers go for $34 each. That's $1,530 for all the woofers that I have in stock.

And I'll drop the price of the tweeters to $69 each. That's $2,898. for all 42 of them. I stock them and you can see them here: http://gr-research.com/grneo3.aspx

$300 for the crossover parts and plus $160 to add Platinum by-pass caps to the tweeter circuit. The Platinum caps were an additional upgrade.

A set of tube connectors is $59, and wiring is $75.

You'll also need 10 sheets of No Rez for each cabinet. They are $39 each. $390 for No Rez.

The 2" flared ports are $6.00 each. $144 total for ports.

All parts for building out the pair of 20/21's comes to $5,556.00

The cabinets cost over $3,000 a pair to have made in quantities. This pair that is new and still in the boxes. I'll let them go for $1,000.

So $6,556 for everything you need to build out the pair (plus shipping).  Not bad. They retailed for $27,900.