Schiit Freya+ Cap and Resistor Mod

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: Schiit Freya+ Cap and Resistor Mod
« Reply #40 on: 3 Feb 2024, 09:38 pm »

Have a listen and tell me what you count?
Basket balls, ping pong balls, marbles, pebbles, playing dice, exercise balls, just to name a few that I hear.

Definitely the rubber kickball/dodgeball was in there. I'd know that sound anywhere.

Definitely a cool track for testing and geeking out on our systems.  :thumb:

fredgarvin

« Reply #41 on: 4 Feb 2024, 06:04 pm »
Like! I'm using the N version of the Freya+, nine pin triodes. I totally agree with Stereophile on the A rating. Thanks for the informed thread, you make it look very doable.

Presb4

« Reply #42 on: 22 Feb 2024, 05:23 am »
Very cool. This is all reaaallly fascinating to me. On a 1-10 scale, how easy/hard would you estimate the modifications were to do?

Sorry, goggle1824,
I just noticed your question from a couple weeks ago.
Well I think I covered what you need to know in my pics, if your are still uncomfortable, I would say you might not want to try it. The Schiit Freya+ is not cheep, and I would hate to see someone damage theirs with a soldering iron, easy to do if you don't have a fair bit of experience tinkering with this kind of thing.

The aim of my post was to publish the parts needed, and to show how I did it and what my results were. None of this is rocket science and I recommend the learning of new things, so if you want to, have at it. But, if you have some old junky stuff laying around the house, maybe start with taking that apart and removing some soldered parts to make mistakes there first.

Presb4

« Reply #43 on: 22 Feb 2024, 05:49 am »
Like! I'm using the N version of the Freya+, nine pin triodes. I totally agree with Stereophile on the A rating. Thanks for the informed thread, you make it look very doable.

Without looking at the Freya N pics online, they pulled them from the website, I dont know how much room is in the N vs + models. But from what I remember reading the Freya N was the same Pre-amp but with the nine pin tube. Did they use 6N1P's? 

Other than the tube socket change, they might have dropped the plate voltages 50vDC. Many of those 9 pin driver triodes like to run between 200 and 250vDC where the 6SN7 and 6SL7 run around 300vDC. If that is what they did, it might explain why many liked the sound of the 9 pin tube more than the Freya+ octal tubes. Tubes run at lower plate voltages often have the side effect of more distortion, even order distortion. AKA, more tubey sound.

BTW, I'm rocking my Freya+ right now with some NOS 6SL7 Sylvanias from 1962, and I think I like them better than my Bad Boys 6SN7's from 1952. Even sweeter, the 6SL7's were less than half the price  :rock:

AllanS

« Reply #44 on: 22 Feb 2024, 01:55 pm »
Thanks much for sharing your experience Presb4.  It’s inspiring.  I have a 30 year old Optimist receiver needing some help that I’m considering restoring.  Given your advice I think I’ll scrounge up some old pcb’s to practice on first.
As a place to start would you please share what you use as your soldering kit?  I have basic skills that are out of practice.

aricml

« Reply #45 on: 22 Feb 2024, 10:13 pm »
Presb4,

I just want to drop in and say thank you for a beautifully put together modification thread.  I will be saving this for inspiration for my own Freya+, but even if I didn't own one I would have loved your write up on this.  Top shelf work!!  :thumb:

Presb4

« Reply #46 on: 23 Feb 2024, 03:24 pm »
Presb4,

I just want to drop in and say thank you for a beautifully put together modification thread.  I will be saving this for inspiration for my own Freya+, but even if I didn't own one I would have loved your write up on this.  Top shelf work!!  :thumb:

Thank you for the kind words.  :thumb:

Presb4

« Reply #47 on: 23 Feb 2024, 03:29 pm »
Thanks much for sharing your experience Presb4.  It’s inspiring.  I have a 30 year old Optimist receiver needing some help that I’m considering restoring.  Given your advice I think I’ll scrounge up some old pcb’s to practice on first.
As a place to start would you please share what you use as your soldering kit?  I have basic skills that are out of practice.

AllanS, any iron that runs 650-750F temp will work. So dont think you have to have a super nice iron to have fun modding.
I use a HAKKO 1 Channel 70 W, Soldering Iron.

AllanS

« Reply #48 on: 24 Feb 2024, 02:57 pm »
AllanS, any iron that runs 650-750F temp will work. So dont think you have to have a super nice iron to have fun modding.
I use a HAKKO 1 Channel 70 W, Soldering Iron.
Many thanks.