Battery Power Supply Kit from GR Research

droht

Battery Power Supply Kit from GR Research
« on: 18 Jul 2009, 01:15 am »
I'm sure most everyone has read Danny Richie's posts about battery kit option that is said to greatly improve some aspects of the performance of Virtue amps.  Here is link to info on Danny's site: http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=154

I've got a proposition for Virtue owners: I'll buy a battery kit.  One of you (with some skill level) will put it together and build an enclosure for it.  I'll pay for supplies to do so.  Finished kit will be sent around for test drives by other interested owners, who will post their impressions here. 

Anyone interested, either to put it together or just participate?  Drop me a PM if you are.  I will not be around much in the next week, but before the end of July I will put this in motion if there is interest.

Thanks.

Dean

dvenardos

Re: Battery Power Supply Kit from GR Research
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2009, 01:25 am »
I'll do it.  :thumb:
I hope to have my other DIY supply built soon so I will also be able to compare the two.

panomaniac

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2009, 05:44 am »
One thing you are going to want to do. Replace the fuse in the amp.  Most came with a 4A fuse.  The big inrush of current from the batteries can blow it when you switch it on.  A 5 or 7 amp slow blow should do the trick.

Often have the same problem with the 130W supply.

dvenardos

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2009, 05:53 am »
Thanks, I noticed the fuse when I was changing the jumper on my first gen Two to bypass the pot but I forgot about it quickly thereafter.

droht

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2009, 10:52 pm »
Stupid question from a non-DIYer....

Do you have to remove the board to access the fuse?  Looks like it might be tough to reach if you have man hands of any kind.  Or can you use some needle nose pliers or whatever to yank it out of there?  Maybe taking out the board is not a big deal, but it looks real tight in there.  Not sure I want to try to squeeze things back into place.  I'm seriously a DIY wuss.

Thanks.

dvenardos

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2009, 10:59 pm »

Do you have to remove the board to access the fuse?  Looks like it might be tough to reach if you have man hands of any kind.  Or can you use some needle nose pliers or whatever to yank it out of there?  Maybe taking out the board is not a big deal, but it looks real tight in there.  Not sure I want to try to squeeze things back into place.  I'm seriously a DIY wuss.

Thanks.

You just have to disconnect the plug for the LED, then the case comes off. No need to take out the board.

Cheerwino

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2009, 11:36 pm »

I'm seriously a DIY wuss.

You're not alone, man. If it can't be fixed with caulk or a chainsaw, it's beyond me. That's why I'm willing to pay folks to design it well the first time. :rock:

doorman

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2009, 01:30 am »

Thanks.

You just have to disconnect the plug for the LED, then the case comes off. No need to take out the board.
The fun part is reconnecting the lead!
Don

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2009, 03:17 am »
It is not that the batteries cause such an in rush of current. It is that the amp draws that much, and the batteries easily deliver.

I believe later units will have a soft start feature that will minimize the initial draw. I think Seth said that a soft start can be added to the older units as well.

Good idea on the pass around and very generous of Dean to send it around. I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised, especially if using these in a fairly high end system.

If you want to get my full thoughts on the batteries, and the amp to for that matter, then you can find it here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68341.msg632559#msg632559

While I am offering the battery power supply kit. It is more of a service to the Virtue customers than anything else. I don't make anything on it. I just forward the info over to Dodd Audio and he drop ships them out. He makes a few bucks on the deal but not much.

panomaniac

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2009, 06:56 am »
The fuse is easy to but hard to get to.  Unless you have really long, thin fingers.  Needle-nose pliers work well.

You don't have to remove the outside wrap completely.  If you do, you will learn the joys of reconnecting the LED.  :(

Yes, there will be a better soft start circuit on the next models to deal with this very problem.  And we hope to have an add on for those of you using the batteries or 130W supplies.  Stay tuned.

droht

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2009, 12:25 pm »
Thanks all.  Now more questions...

Would this fuse be appropriate?

7.0-Amp 250V 1?x?" Slow-Blow Fuse

Just your basic cheapo fuse from Radio Shack.

Is there some trade off going with higher amp fuse?  If not, why not use higher in the first place?  Cost would not be an issue here I would think.

Please tell me that I should not drop $25 on a HIFI Tuning fuse...

droht

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2009, 01:18 pm »
Next question.  How in the hell do you get the case back on?  The last fraction of an inch is a killer. 

panomaniac

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2009, 02:04 pm »
A 5A fuse seems to work fine.  7A will be OK, just a little less protection.

To get the edge of the case over the end is trickey.  I use 2 small screwdrivers to pry it open a little from tha back.  It will then pop into place.

neutralos

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jul 2009, 11:35 pm »
Danny you have PM.