ceramica center channel

vanderstephen

ceramica center channel
« on: 23 Oct 2018, 09:47 pm »
Hi all,
I just wanted to quickly share the end result of my Ceramica center channel build.

This is sonically well matched to the Ottavo's that I built about 5 years ago. As seen in other threads, Rick is great to work with and very patient with my questions. It sounds as great as could be hoped for. It is only connected to an Integra receiver, while my Ottavo's are powered by an Odyssey amp. Regardless, it plays as clearly and as naturally as I could possibly hope for.

My woodworking skills on the other hand leave something to be desired. It would help if I had all of the right tools. For those who are like me without a fancy shop... if I can do it, then you can do it too!
- No table saw. Home Depot will cut material to size. Lesson learned would be to oversize certain panels slightly and trim to size with a flush cut router bit once assembled.
- I have a fixed base router only (no plunge base). Also, I do not have a circle cutting jig. I used a piece of scrap 1/4" thick MDF to make a an oversize base plate for my router, drilled a hole the appropriate distance from the bit into the MDF base for the radius of the circle cut out, hammered a nail with a filed off head into the center of the cutout... voila- my homemade circle cutting jig. Since I don't have a plunge router, I predrilled a hole at the perimeter of the circle on the baffle and started with the bit in the drilled hole. The holes were slightly undersized so I used a cheapy drum sanding bit in an electric drill. I used a separate 3/4" piece and 1/4" piece to build up the baffle to 1".
- No previous experience with using raw wood veneer and heat lock glue.
- I'm happy with the quality of my finishing. It looks good in pictures and looks good in person (as long as you're not too close to it :roll:)
Because of the above items, I didn't do a full build thread - it was have just embarrassed me :lol:

Phil A

Re: ceramica center channel
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2018, 09:56 pm »
Great job!  If I did anything creative, like art work, the appropriate place for it would be attached to the fridge via a magnet :green:

AvFan

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2018, 11:25 pm »
Well that speaker is very pretty and you should be proud!!  Is that quilted walnut? 

vanderstephen

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2018, 12:42 am »
Thanks for the kind words. I had originally picked a curly walnut veneer, but the particular lot that I ordered ended up being out of stock. The veneer I used is a curly etimoe. I used Zinsser shellac as a finish and rubbed it out. I didn't use a pore filler (other than using many coats of shellac), so it's not glass smooth... but close enough.

steve1580

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2018, 11:40 am »
Great work, congratulations!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2018, 03:12 pm »
It looks to me as though you've done a pretty darned good job of building a speaker.

I have assembled a couple speakers, but I have yet to try my hand at veneering anything.