My first 45 amp

guf

My first 45 amp
« on: 30 Jan 2018, 11:13 pm »
I just took delivery of a Sonic_oil Korneff amp.  Plugged in to my desktop system with no preamp to Blumenstein Orca's, I think they are 92 db. Controling the volume with Roon/HQplayer.  It really is a lovely sound. I have the GE 45's that came with it. I Have a few pairs of 45's. The first I tried was EMLs. Even more lovely.
I'm excited to try it out with my Omega's HO that are now being powered by a 300b in my main system. Most would say it may not be enough watts, but right now I rarely go above 1 watt in my near field set up. We'll see. Just playing around. Because we all love pictures

Freo-1

Re: My first 45 amp
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2018, 11:23 pm »
Very nice!  Please let us know how it sounds. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2018, 11:32 pm »
Wow very beautiful amp :thumb:
Congratulations GUF, what is the input and rect tubes?

happyrabbit

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2018, 11:42 pm »

45 LUV  :green:

Welcome to the family  :thumb:

Dwight

guf

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2018, 01:09 am »
Wow very beautiful amp :thumb:
Congratulations GUF, what is the input and rect tubes?

12j5 and a 5y4  open to suggestions on replacements.
and
Oliver said "Parts quality is quite good but there is gains in upgrading certain capacitor/resistor output transformer or switching to transformer coupling/decoupling" I'm excited to play around with some upgrades.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2018, 01:13 am »
12j5 and a 5y4  open to suggestions on replacements.
and
Oliver said "Parts quality is quite good but there is gains in upgrading certain capacitor/resistor output transformer or switching to transformer coupling/decoupling" I'm excited to play around with some upgrades.
Be sure to ask him these parts list to an future upgrade.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2018, 02:59 am by FullRangeMan »

guf

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2018, 05:43 am »
Well it really is a special sound. It sounds so good I want more, and it really doesn’t have more to give. The separation and depth and tone were amazing. It’s perfect for 70% of what I listen to. I’m comparing it to a Line magnetic 210 with elrog and eml tubes. I’m really impressed.

So I hooked a DHT 4p1l pre up and it provided a little bit of needed volume. Is that gain? But then I felt it lost some of the magic.

david45

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2018, 05:57 am »
Guf,

I can see in a different thread that your main system consists of Omega speakers along with Gr Research/Rythmik subwoofer. Have you given some thought to the use of a high-pass to reduce the load on the amplifier? Most likely it could play a little louder considering the Korneff is a low gain design and you prefer not to use an active preamp...

You can search the gr research forum for more info if you'd like (inline crossover input impedance).

Gorgeous amp by the way!   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2018, 06:27 pm »
So I hooked a DHT 4p1l pre up and it provided a little bit of needed volume. Is that gain? But then I felt it lost some of the magic.
SMT its gain is 6.5 Do you already try the 2A3 in this amp?

guf

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2018, 06:55 pm »
Guf,

I can see in a different thread that your main system consists of Omega speakers along with Gr Research/Rythmik subwoofer. Have you given some thought to the use of a high-pass to reduce the load on the amplifier? Most likely it could play a little louder considering the Korneff is a low gain design and you prefer not to use an active preamp...

You can search the gr research forum for more info if you'd like (inline crossover input impedance).

Gorgeous amp by the way!   :thumb:
I was reading a bit about this. Thanks for the suggestion.

Can you explain? SMT its gain is 6.5 Do you already try the 2A3 in this amp?

I was doing some more late night listening, I removed the preamp, and really very happy with almost everything. Its just a few times that certain recordings ask fro a little more volume.
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2018, 06:09 am by guf »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2018, 07:22 pm »
45 and 2A3 are both 2.5V cathodes, usually amps can run both.
But ask to your builder before; there are 2A3 very low priced.

Usually plate dissipatiom is 45=10W, 2A3=15W

happyrabbit

« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2018, 03:18 am »
CV593 gets my vote  :thumb:

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aad0081.htm

the driver looks like a 6J5 / 6P5 but with a different filament  current.   I also included an internal pic of my sonic_oil 45.  Plenty of items to upgrade.  :green:

Enjoy

Dwight

« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2018, 05:56 pm by happyrabbit »

happyrabbit

« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2018, 03:09 am »
Thank you Guf  !   Direct Drive 45... no preamp needed.  Works perfect with 92db speakers.  Impressive results  :thumb:

Dwight

sfox7076

« Reply #13 on: 4 Feb 2018, 03:44 am »
Don't insert a 2a3....

audio202

« Reply #14 on: 19 Feb 2018, 03:48 pm »
I changed 2A3 tubes to 45s in my fi x amp and love the sound

rockdoc

« Reply #15 on: 27 Feb 2018, 02:18 pm »
Beautiful! I love his aesthetics, and build apparent build quality. Hope I can get one someday soon. Did you order this from Oli? And, it's sonic_oli , not Sonic Oil....

Steve T