626 bass module speaker stands?

Brax

626 bass module speaker stands?
« on: 15 Jun 2010, 02:10 pm »
I had an idea while looking at the new speaker stands now being offered by VMPS for the 626 series. Could this be made into a bass module? I though why waste the space with a stand if it could serve double duty. The module could have two sets of binding posts, one an input and the other an output to jumper to the 626. It would have an internal crossover that would have a set high pass to the 626. I’m not sure how low the output frequency could be had with the limited internal volume of the stand but I assume you could add significant bass output to a set of 626’s with this concept.

Man, I must have too much time on my hands, I don’t even own a pair of 626’s.......

fredgarvin

Re: 626 bass module speaker stands?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2010, 03:58 pm »
That's an interesting idea, for sure. I have my 626's on solid front stands and they have significant bass as is. I run a sub as an under-fill and cross over at about 50hz. Not much volume is needed. I use them for music only and have a different AV system.

John Casler

Re: 626 bass module speaker stands?
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2010, 05:57 pm »
Hi Brax,

If you look back not too far the Dedicated Sub was just that.  Before the 626R, the QSO626 (which actually was an MTM design with two 6" woofers and a 2" tweeter) had a sub "dedicated to it".

See the "original 626 below:

Here is the look of the now discontinued Dedicated Sub:

That sub was designed to be the correct height to use as a stand for the QSO626, making a very formidible and affordable system.

The new 626R stand and OXO:

The present stands (which can also be ordered as an OXO) do not have the internal volume to be VMPS subs.  That is with Passive Radiators and putty.

I asked Brian about this a couple years ago when we first started using them.  I thought we coul make them side firing 10"ers, but he said they didn't have the cubic inches.

We also have the Pedestals as below for those who want that type of look

And a pair for the LRC or a RM30C