Short RM/x impressions

Woodsea

Short RM/x impressions
« on: 23 Jan 2003, 01:18 am »
My Dad and I visited Brian on the 20th of January for about 45 min.  I called up Brian, at about 11am and he told me that 5pm would be a good time.  Well traffic on MLK day on I80 from IKEA to Hercules, CA slowed me down a bit.  So Dad and I arrived about 30 min late.  Dad had this CD-RCA
RCD14934
Artur Rubinstein
Fritz Reiner
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Rachmaninoff
Concerto No. 2
We walked in, and I was blown over by the size of these speakers.  Here is a URL of my home layout along with a picture of yours truly with the RM/x's and a 626 and Brian's place.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/woodseak/lst?.dir=/Audio
Brian asked us to sit down and he turned off the lights.  My dad just stood their listening to a recording that he has replaced 4x over the years.  After the song was over, he was literally amazed.  He had heard this variation live, and was literally blown away.  "the clearest" he has ever heard.  I walked around the black sculpture, and was very impressed with woodwork,  layout and finish.  What was all to clear though, was the lack of fallout when off center.  It actually reminded me of the Norh 4.0 or 6.9 off-center ie;side...full sound.  Of course with the ribbons (6 on a side) and very cool looking tweeter the sound was crystal.  Which I am used to at home  :wink: .  Now, I pine  :evil:  Not for the RM/x, for that is out of my WAF range as well as fiscal range.  But the tweeter upgrade, I thought was superfluous, is now on my current years horizon.  
I did hedge my bet, for while Oakland was in the throes of exaltation, I was purchasing California lottery numbers until Feb 1.  Wish me luck, and I will be able to purchase the RM/x, build my own soundproof room in my new home in a better climate.  This is what the elements are forcing me to walk through http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USOH0212_f.html
So, what can I write now?  I was astounded that such sound could come from just 2 speakers.  Brian threw on 3 more tracks, which put them through their paces, and they came back wilted not.  Brian, as always is very proud of his speakers and more than willing to play anything.  
My Dad and I were running late, and my mom even called while in the middle of a song :nono:  My wife just rolled her eyes and gave me a big hug, she sorta understands.  So we would have liked to stay longer, but we had to cut it short...Brian thanks a bunch.
PS-I cannot imagine a better pair of speakers, nowhere in the room was a bad spot :!:   Not even when my dad was standing in front of me  :roll:  did I feel out of "that VMPS line"  music.  The Bass was exacting, but not punchy...but then again we did not play any rock  8)   I don't know how low they go, but for hometheater a sub is still in order.