VMPS New larger sub??

Hank Rearden

VMPS New larger sub??
« on: 17 Feb 2003, 03:01 am »
I hope somebody might be able to answer this question. First, please don't be to upset with the question because it based on necessity.

1. Can the weight of a 31" television be able to rest on top of a VMPS NLS? I approximate it weights at 65-85 lbs.

The reason I ask is based on the lack of available space in my condo. I will not be moving into a new house for approximately 2.5 years and I am very eager to buy the NLS.

Currently, the T.V. sits on top of a black T.V. stand that is almost identical to the dimensions of the VMPS NLS.

Woodsea

VMPS New larger sub??
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2003, 04:01 am »
I have an original, my 4 yr old jumps on it all the time.  I have stood on it.  But having a TV on it?  With the magnets in the sub, it may distort the screen.  Also that sub will get jiggy and make that TV bounce  :nono:

bubba966

VMPS New larger sub??
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2003, 04:12 am »
An average 32" TV weighs in around 125 pounds. But you're going to have a magnetic problem as Eric already mentioned.

The weight shouldn't be the issue. It's the magnetic interference that's the problem.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
VMPS New larger sub??
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2003, 04:13 am »
2 things to be careful of - if the woofer isn't shielded, it can damage the video on your TV.  And, the vibrations will probably do a good job of messing up the convergence of the TV (assuming its' a CRT based set).

Pez

VMPS New larger sub??
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2003, 04:56 am »
Quote from: Woodsea
 With the magnets in the sub, it may distort the screen.  Also that sub will get jiggy and make that TV bounce  :nono:

Then Tyson said

Quote from: Tyson
2 things to be careful of - if the woofer isn't shielded, it can damage the video on your TV.  And, the vibrations will probably do a good job of messing up the convergence of the TV (assuming its' a CRT based set).

Wow Tyson,  you have a knack for restating the obvious.  Come on man do you even read what other people post or do you just blurt out the first stupid thing that comes to mind?  :?  :P

Tyson

VMPS New larger sub??
« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2003, 05:11 am »
Oops, looks like Woodsea already posted what I had to say.  Sorry about that Hank. :oops:

Pez

VMPS New larger sub??
« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2003, 05:18 am »
And thank you Jason for pointing out Tyson's glaring faults  :mrgreen: (as if I have room to speak)

Tyson

VMPS New larger sub??
« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2003, 05:20 am »
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

Jay S

VMPS New larger sub??
« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2003, 05:44 am »
Another option if you are space constrained is to use the VMPS New Original or New Larger sub as a coffee table in front of the TV.  My coffee table (a chinese chest) is slightly larger than a Larger Sub and, believe me, my listening room is not very deep (just 11 feet).

Pez

VMPS New larger sub??
« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2003, 05:57 am »
One thing you want to remember is that the sub is not magnetically shielded and may cause interference with your TV or even damage it.  Not to mention what all that vibration will do to the picture on your TV  :o

nathanm

VMPS New larger sub??
« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2003, 05:58 am »
I "borrowed" a friend's large TV to watch a movie once and we could not get the set far enough away from the VMPS sub to not get discoloration on the screen.  Although I think we cursed ourselves because we first had them close and moved them farther away only after realizing "Hey there's 50lbs. of magnets underneath this thing!  (weight guessed at for the sake of the story only)

I even thought it might be permanently damaged it was so bad, but the next day, after being off all night it was okay.  There's some serious flux going on that thing!

I had better luck with a smaller cheapo 19" or so TV that I sat on top of the sub.  I was able to isolate it pretty well with a chunk of foam and a wooden shelf.

Jay S

VMPS New larger sub??
« Reply #11 on: 17 Feb 2003, 06:29 am »
Hmm, if you're dealing with magnetic fields that strong then maybe you ought to consider ditching the CRT TV and getting a plasma, LCD or a projector!  Not only will they not be affected by magnetism, they will also take up much less space!  I've got a 29" Sony Wega (over 24" deep) and can't wait to get a nice 42"+ plasma or LCD once prices drop to levels that I can tolerate.

doug s.

• makin' music
VMPS New larger sub??
« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2003, 06:31 am »
a flat plate of 16ga steel covering the top of the sub should eliminate the problem w/the drivers screwing up the pic.  i can't imagine the weight of the tv would be a problem.  but, i like the idea of the sub in the nearfield, as a coffee table...  best location for a mono-sub anyways, imo...

doug s.

Jay S

VMPS New larger sub??
« Reply #13 on: 17 Feb 2003, 06:39 am »
Hmm, if a piece of steel will do the trick then maybe the thing to do is to put vibration absorbers (Sorbothane, Tenderfoot, etc) under the steel plate.

Hank Rearden

VMPS New larger sub??
« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2003, 09:03 am »
Thanks to everyone for your help. I will try to be more creative with the space I have. A coffee table....Hum?

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
lsw
« Reply #15 on: 17 Feb 2003, 05:25 pm »
Lots of people place TV's on top of the Larger Sub.  It can support at least 400 lbs.

Two things to do: A piece of sheet steel (16 gauge or better) between the woofer cabinet and the set will take care of magnetic interference.  A damping sheet like Dynamat will cut down on transmission of vibration.  You can add a 1/2" sheet of styrofoam on top of the Dynamat if you are still having problems.