AMPZilla 2K

John Casler

AMPZilla 2K
« on: 3 Feb 2003, 07:12 pm »
Received the following message from Jim Bongiorno the other day, some may find it interesting.

When it rains, it pours. Lightning just struck again, not once, not twice, but THREE times. I just received a fantastic package today from Japan. Many of you may recall that in 1976, I won the most coveted award in the audio world--Stereo Sounds "STATE OF THE ART --GRAND PRIX AWARD" for my Ampzilla and Thaedra. I won this again in 1980 for my Sumo Power and Gold amplifiers. This award is only given out every two or three years. Well, I just won it again for Ampzilla2000. Not only that, I also won the Audio Grand Prix award from Swing Journal as well. These two coupled with the High End Audio Best of CES Show Award makes it a triple triumph---all in one month. As soon as I can arrange photography, I will have all of this up on my web site.
James Bongiorno

Regards,

John Casler

VMPS LA CA USA
SUMMIT Audio Video
bioforce.inc@gte.net
http://my.register.com/summitaudiovideo.com/index.html[/code]

Xi-Trum

AMPZilla 2K
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2003, 08:25 pm »
Well, I'll just say that the Ampzilla2K is the best amp I've heard.  I'm just glad that there are people out there who share my preference for transparent, accurate, neutral sound.   :mrgreen:

But I must admit that it took quite a bit of time for me to warm up to the blue faceplates.  I'm still learning to ignore that star-trek logo on the front, though.   :|

JoshK

AMPZilla 2K
« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2003, 08:55 pm »
If it were my ampzillas I would strip off that tacky front paint and logo and refinish it black or silver or something.

ZooDog

AMPZilla 2K
« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2003, 09:13 pm »
If you are baffled by the cosmetics of the Ampzilla:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue5/ces2003sl1.htm

Scroll down to a little below the middle of the page.

'Nuff said.

Xi-Trum

AMPZilla 2K
« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2003, 09:36 pm »
JoshK, thanks.  You just gave me some ideas.  I may just spray paint some contact paper black, cut it to size, and stick it on the front.  That way, I don't void any warranty.

ZooDog, I see what you mean.  :)

Xi-Trum

AMPZilla 2K
« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2003, 09:38 pm »
From positive-feedback.com:

"The neo-ribbons in these are different from the ones used in the RM-40 and RM-2, as is the new ribbon tweeter mounted in an adjustable unit on the top."

I didn't know that the RM40 and the RM/X use different neo ribbons (for the midrange).  Anyone has a clue?

Woodsea

AMPZilla 2K
« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2003, 10:26 pm »
The RM/x ribbon mids looked exactly like my 626's.  Brian never mentioned a different midrange panel, just excited over the new baffle and tweeter  8)

shokunin

AMPZilla 2K
« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2003, 11:32 pm »
I thought I read somehwere that Mr. Bongiorno was going to offer optional pastel  :o  colored faceplates for the Ampzilla 2K and that he'd wouldn't have any kind of black or champagne-ish colored faces on his amps.

nathanm

AMPZilla 2K
« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2003, 03:12 am »
Holy moses, that's gotta be one of the most garish faceplates I've ever seen!  The logo looks hand-drawn!  Kinda lumpy.  Hee hee!  Well, it's nice to see something different, even if it's damn ugly!  :lol:

Kishore

AMPZilla 2K
« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2003, 04:36 am »
Congrats James B! I wonder when you will partcipate in this forum and address the boyz &  add some color :)

Pretty Ironic actually..the Ampzilla is colorful in looks and equally "uncolored" in sound :) (based on what I have read..not heard)

Cheers,
Kishore

Xi-Trum

AMPZilla 2K
« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2003, 02:15 pm »
Kishore, I am beginning to see why some are doing away with tubes in favor of the Ampzilla2K.  As it's breaking in, it's getting better and better.  I'm getting more impressed day by day.

Brad

AMPZilla 2K
« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2003, 03:15 pm »
Kishore,

Are you really in the S.F.  BAR area?
Just out on the west coast partying now??

Kishore

AMPZilla 2K
« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2003, 05:27 pm »
Quote from: Brad
Kishore,

Are you really in the S.F.  BAR area?
Just out on the west coast partying now??

The only place I can smile/drown my sorrow and pick up someone fun at same time  :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Kishore