Bryston and Roon

stereobear

Bryston and Roon
« on: 25 Aug 2019, 07:53 pm »
New to digital audio.  Have a simple question.

Will the BDA-3 DAC via USB work with the Roon Nucleus?  I stream Tidal and Qobuz via the Roon app.

Grit

• - Garrett
Re: Bryston and Roon
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2019, 07:21 pm »
Hey Stereobear,

I want to make sure I'm answering what you're asking. Are you asking about connecting a Roon Nucleus via USB directly to the BDA-3?

After doing some research, here's what's on Roon's website:

Connected Outputs: Built-in outputs, USB DACs, and Sound Cards
Any audio devices recognized by the OS will be recognized by Roon, from Built-in Sound to PCI Soundcards to USB DACs.

My guess is that you'll need to contact Roon to find out if the BDA-3 will be recognized by their OS. I have no idea what OS they are running or what drivers are available/supported. It's a good question though, as a BDP would be redundant.

stereobear

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2019, 03:55 am »
Yes, I am asking if you can connect a Roon Nucleus directly to the BDA-3 with a USB cable.

The Roon Nucleus operates as a Linux computer.  I have been told that this is no problem for the Bryston.  There are DACs on the market that will not work with Linux.  The early versions of the current Audio Research DACS and the Exasound with its proprietary drivers will not work,  I'm sure there are many others also.

Can any one here confirm that the Bryston will be happy with a Linux OS?

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2019, 04:20 am »
Can any one here confirm that the Bryston will be happy with a Linux OS?
I didn't try with a Roon Nucleus, but I connected our BDA-3 to a Linux Intel NUC via USB and successfully tested 2-channel playback using the speaker-test tool.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2019, 01:58 am »
New to digital audio.  Have a simple question.

Will the BDA-3 DAC via USB work with the Roon Nucleus?  I stream Tidal and Qobuz via the Roon app.

It should work, but you'll be using the computer as a 'player'. For best results I'd suggest getting a BDP digital player, then you can stream wirelessly to the BDP and reap the benefits of a dedicated player with good power supplies, etc.  The BDP would connect to directly to your BDA3. 

good luck!
TJ

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2019, 03:55 am »
I don't have a nucleus myself, but it is based on the Intel NUC line.

It  is listed as being able to work, and if NekoAudio got an Intel NUC to work, I think you're probably good to go!

stereobear

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2019, 12:33 am »
Thanks to all who have responded to my question.

I have now used the BDA-3 DAC with the ROON Nucleus and it works perfectly.  No problems at all.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2019, 05:10 am »
Can anyone comment if the BDA-2/BDA-3 offer any sonic improvement over simply attaching a Roon Nucleus to a DAC?

stereobear

« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2019, 12:47 am »
It should work, but you'll be using the computer as a 'player'. For best results I'd suggest getting a BDP digital player, then you can stream wirelessly to the BDP and reap the benefits of a dedicated player with good power supplies, etc.  The BDP would connect to directly to your BDA3. 

good luck!

stereobear

« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2019, 12:55 am »
I would connect both the BDP-3 and the Roon nucleus to my network via Ethernet?  Then connect the BDA to the BDP via usb ? Use the Nucleus as Roon core?  Use the Roon app to stream Qobuz?