Quick Product Poll! Tube Buffer with Volume Control?

DarrellC

Re: Quick Product Poll! Tube Buffer with Volume Control?
« Reply #160 on: 4 Mar 2020, 03:18 pm »
Dan, any more thoughts on the timing of development on this?

modwright

« Reply #161 on: 4 Mar 2020, 07:39 pm »
I have to be honest, it will likely be Spring/Summer at this point. I just got back from the VPI house over the weekend where I presented to dealers and our new KWH 225i and phono stage designs of our own production are eating all my time and resources.

I WILL finish this design! I am just stretched so thin right now. I am CONFIDENT that this product will be a HUGE seller for us...If I could only clone myself!

Thanks,

Dan

GregC

« Reply #162 on: 4 Mar 2020, 07:45 pm »
I have to be honest, it will likely be Spring/Summer at this point. I just got back from the VPI house over the weekend where I presented to dealers and our new KWH 225i and phono stage designs of our own production are eating all my time and resources.

I WILL finish this design! I am just stretched so thin right now. I am CONFIDENT that this product will be a HUGE seller for us...If I could only clone myself!

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

You do an awesome job of creating innovative products AND being accessible to your customers. 

Greg

modwright

« Reply #163 on: 4 Mar 2020, 08:03 pm »
Thank you, I appreciate that!

Dan

DarrellC

« Reply #164 on: 4 Mar 2020, 09:57 pm »
Thanks Dan for looping us in.

modwright

« Reply #165 on: 4 Mar 2020, 10:19 pm »
You bet! Believe me, I WANT to get the Buffer to market!

Dan

uncola

« Reply #166 on: 1 May 2020, 08:46 pm »
This won’t make me popular but I think you should charge more for the tube buffer.  If you put a volume control on it, people will use it as their preamp.  It could become a popular item and people will judge the modwright brand by it.  You want to make it worthy to represent your brand

vanderstephen

« Reply #167 on: 1 May 2020, 08:50 pm »
Ummm. Uncola, that would make you very unpopular with me. :|

uncola

« Reply #168 on: 1 May 2020, 09:07 pm »
But I also think you should give a large discount to all the people in this thread, your most loyal devoted customers who you know you can rely on to give feedback ;). Yay I’m popular again

vanderstephen

« Reply #169 on: 1 May 2020, 09:13 pm »
Redeemed.  :lol:

modwright

« Reply #170 on: 1 May 2020, 11:47 pm »
OK guys, I have a solution!

The retail price of the buffer will start at $5K!

But, I will give everyone here a $4K discount!  :lol:

:popcorn:

To be honest, I have not set the price yet, but at or around $1K is the expected base price. It will be offered with options that will add cost. I first want to get a basic prototype out for people to hear and give me feedback. It will be just the tube buffer, that can be run in-line with any digital source. The next step will be to incorporate optional linear supplies for the DAC(s) that it could be paired with. Then I will look at volume control, multiple inputs, etc. I first want to prove the simple concept of the wide bandwidth, low distortion and VERY low output impedance buffer circuit.

Just yesterday, I got tired of listening to my Logitech Squeeze box as source - burning in amps, etc. So, I took a digital out from the Squeeze Box to the Pro-Ject S2 DAC, feeding the tube buffer, out to our integrated. WOW that was better! Now, keep in mind that I am streaming Redbook, wirelessly to the squeeze box. All I did is take the coax out from the Squeeze Box to the $300 Pro-Ject DAC with the buffer! The difference in sound quality was startling! The buffer adds body and dimension to the stock Pro-Ject DAC which, on its own, while not bad, IS thin sounding!

I am just about caught up with backorders for the new KWH 225i and then I will dive head first into the buffer project. It is the perfect time for it!

Thanks guys...just kidding about the $5K price. $4995 at the MOST!  8)

Dan

jackox

« Reply #171 on: 7 May 2020, 01:13 pm »
Hi Dan! Funny I've just sent you an email about the buffer.
From my perspective I thought I'd need something simple but because nothing stay simple long enough in my setup I would need more I/O.
2 XLR inputs, one RCA input and one XLR output.
This for: Modwright BDP83SE (you know the one) still running, LKS MH-DA004, Sony TA-ZH1ES => Denon AVP-A1HD Cinemike XLR unique input.
It would help group all source in the XLR input on the Denon.
Do you think this is doable ?

Also funny you say you got tired of the squeeze box. I listened to a Kennerton Thror at a friend's using a Squeeze (not Modwright). Nice Auris DAC and amp. I found the sound a bit arsh.
Not how I listened to Thror before.

Got myself a B-Stock Thror. My friend came to my house to give it a try : custom mod PC with SOtM cards, modded PSU, damping, filters, some Audio Magic stuff, OPPO HA-1 SE (Audiocom modded plus extras), TRYST (of course), not the same same headphone at all.

We concluded that the Squeeze is not good enough anymore and replaced it by another kind of setup based on ROON and pc sources. The Squeeze was indeed the weak link.
Have you ever considered using a tweaked PC with Audirvana (you have a two station licence I sent you) or JRiver?

uncola

« Reply #172 on: 10 Oct 2020, 05:56 am »
Still interested in replacing my dac digital volume control with this!  Hope everything is going well at modwright and your 225 integrated is selling like hot cakes

modwright

« Reply #173 on: 12 Oct 2020, 03:52 am »
It is still inline. It has just been an unusual year!

I am working on it!

Thanks,

Dan

RonP

« Reply #174 on: 2 Dec 2020, 01:48 pm »
If I end up with a solid state pre-amp + amp, I'll want one of these in between.

cool

modwright

« Reply #175 on: 2 Dec 2020, 06:39 pm »
It has not been forgotten. It is a crazy year and we are strong and busy, but my time table is way off for a number of reasons.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #176 on: 26 Apr 2021, 11:09 pm »
OK guys, it is time to resume this thread and bring this product to the finish line!

First of all, it has been a strange year plus, for all of us! For me personally, I got off track, and I feel now like I am back! Like many of you, a lot of introspection, time alone and such a change in lifestyle. I don't really feel like the same person that I was before 2020. Not all for the bad, many ways for the better. But, all the same, I kind of got knocked off course.

I have been focusing on the KWH 225i Hybrid integrated amp and the PH 9.0 tube phono and PH 9.0X upgraded version. These products are doing well and I am now feeling inspired to take (code name: 'The Buffer') to market. Product name is much cooler, but that will come later!

While I have asked what everyone wants, and weighed it all, I have decided to do the following:

The initial product will be as follows:
RCA in and RCA out.
< $995.
No volume control, no remote.
Compact enclosure with exposed tubes.
Likely tube rectified.
High bandwidth, low distortion, low noise and very low output impedance to match with ANY amp, tube or SS!
Lastly, I have an idea for tube rolling and flexibility of tone and preference, that I believe will be well received!

The whole intent of this design was to take the 'mod' out of the the digital source and make this a product that can be used in any system with any analog signal device. I.e. between DAC and amp, DAC and preamp, any other source analog signal path in, out to amp/preamp. Many of you have SS systems and want to add tubes, but don't want the hassle of biasing a tube amp or are uncertain about going to a tube preamp. Many of you also have digital sources with built in volume control that drive amps directly. This product can add 'the tube sound' to your system, without adding noise, and will also offer your amp the VERY low output impedance that it wants, to perform its best! No passive volume control and offer the impedance matching of an active circuit such as an active preamp or buffer.

Next step is to get the rubber on the road and design the enclosure and finalize the circuit.

I will share progress and images of the project here and I hope that you will share your frank feedback.

This project began some time ago and I know many of you thought it had died on the vine, but rather, it has simply matured...

I am ready for an exciting new product that is affordable, flexible and will fit ANY system!

Thank you all for your support, feedback and patience!

Dan Wright
CEO, ModWright instruments Inc.

jjss49

« Reply #177 on: 27 Apr 2021, 12:20 am »
Dan - there are some dacs out there with a volume control, but often they are poorly implemented (either volume reduction in digital domain with attendant bit-stripping, or cheap non-remote pot mounted on front panel)... I think having your tube buffer with proper remote volume (bypassable with a toggle) would be a winner.

RDavidson

« Reply #178 on: 27 Apr 2021, 01:35 am »
I think he's trying to keep the cost and complexity down, which makes total sense to me. I would like to see an option for dual outputs though. Perhaps this is easy enough and can be added at time of order?