Dark movie scenes needed for demo

byteme

« on: 26 Mar 2004, 07:22 pm »
Hey!

I'm going to check out a couple possible TV's pretty soon here and need some ideas for scenes I can use to show shadow detail, black level, etc.

LOTR in the bar where the Hobbits first meet Strider is a possibility but from there I get stuck.

I'm also taking
Star Wars ATOC
Finding Nemo
Fifth Element Superbit

For their various representative scenes.

I'll be demoing the Samsung DLP sets along with CRT RPTVs.

Thanks.

Andrew JC

« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2004, 08:16 pm »
One of the best movies for dark scenes is Seven, use the two disc version not the original.

gongos

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2004, 08:25 pm »
Don't use anything animated. If I were you, I'd look at the Mines of Moria scene from the Fellowship of the Ring.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2004, 10:23 pm »
How about The Matrix - there are some dark scenes with that green tint...

byteme

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2004, 10:28 pm »
Thanks!  I'll have to take a couple extra discs along based on these suggestions, the beginning of the first matrix would be good!

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2004, 11:20 pm »
Quote from: Andrew JC
One of the best movies for dark scenes is Seven, use the two disc version not the original.

What's the difference???  I remember watching "Seven" on one of the TV stations and it was  unwatchably dark; a recent airing was as detailed as I remember the film being.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2004, 11:49 pm »
U-571 has tons of dark scenes.

And is also killer for checking out what kind of bass a system can reproduce.

George

Andrew JC

« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2004, 12:27 am »
The second version Seven was a huge improvement over it's first release. Fincher(sp?) himself oversaw the second release. For some twisted reason I'm a huge fan of this movie. The first release was almost unwatchable, very dark. The second release was like seeing a totally different movie. It's still dark in more ways than one, but I do condisider it a reference disc for picture and sound.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2004, 03:23 am »
The movie Dark City is a well known torture peice for digital projectors- lots and lots of blacks & grays.  It helps to that it's a superb movie.  The SB Resident Evil also has a lot of dark scenes with good detail.  You might try Pitch Black, too.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2004, 03:31 am »
Quote from: Andrew JC
The second version Seven was a huge improvement over it's first release. Fincher(sp?) himself oversaw the second release. For some twisted reason I'm a huge fan of this movie. The first release was almost unwatchable, very dark. The second release was like seeing a totally different movie. It's still dark in more ways than one, but I do condisider it a reference disc for picture and sound.

Thanks. I've seen "Seven" on TV twice--one seemed like a fourth generation VHS tape (very dark as you say and almost impossible to tell what was going on), the second was dark but I could see the details within the darkness. You're right that it's a great movie despite its troubling subject matter.

bubba966

« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2004, 03:33 am »
Equlibrium (opening shootout), Pitch Black, Fight Club, Resident Evil...

bubba966

« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2004, 04:36 am »
Forgot about Panic Room, Aliens, Alien 3 (guess just about any Fincher movie... :roll: ), Video Essentials, Darkness Falls, Armageddon (Criterion version)...

bubba966

« Reply #12 on: 27 Mar 2004, 04:42 am »
And I don't believe I forgot Underworld. :shake: Bad me... :oops:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 27 Mar 2004, 05:41 am »
OOHHH!  That's so good...it should have been mine! :lol:

(Sorry, a little "High Fidelity" reference :wink: ).

bubba966

« Reply #14 on: 27 Mar 2004, 05:44 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
OOHHH!  That's so good...it should have been mine! :lol:

Which one? Underworld, or one of the others?...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 27 Mar 2004, 05:48 am »
Underworld.

bubba966

« Reply #16 on: 27 Mar 2004, 05:51 am »
I was reminded of Underworld when I got up to leave the room and saw the poster on the wall (the bad ass German version :thumb: , not the US poster). I can't believe neither of us brought that one up earlier... :shake:

Tonto Yoder

Re: Dark movie scenes needed for demo
« Reply #17 on: 27 Mar 2004, 12:32 pm »
Quote from: byteme
Hey!
I'm going to check out a couple possible TV's pretty soon here and need some ideas for scenes I can use to show shadow detail, black level, etc.
LOTR in the bar where the Hobbits first meet Strider is a possibility.

One DVD that might be a good change of pace from other suggested offerings is  "Sessions at West 54th Vol. 1." It's selected performances from the defunct music show--Wynton Marsalis, Suzanne Vega and many others.  The content is great in my opinion, but the darkened studio might well be a good test for video gear??