What kind (level) of digital cable do you use?

Uptown Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.uptownaudio.com
« Reply #20 on: 10 Nov 2004, 09:00 pm »
I use a coax cable for my digital connection and in most instances, it does sound better to me. I have tried quite a few and some systems are more or less sensitive to the type used. It's not always the most expensive one that sounds best, but it can.  
I can't say that I have heard differences in optical cables, but then i have not really listened to many side by side as I have always prefered coax, so any comparison of optical types has been somewhat irrelevent for me. I do know that there are different qualities of optical cables, but for the purposes here, I just select them based on decent construction and cost. Coax cables transmit their signal via RF and it can be iterfered with in some cases, where optical is immune to both RFI and EMI.
While it's true that "bits is bits", it is also true that what a DAC does with those varies from device to device.
-Bill

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #21 on: 11 Nov 2004, 05:07 am »
Quote from: Uptown Audio
I use a coax cable for my digital connection and in most instances, it does sound better to me. I have tried quite a few and some systems are more or less sensitive to the type used. It's not always the most expensive one that sounds best, but it can.  
I can't say that I have heard differences in optical cables, but then i have not really listened to many side by side as I have always prefered coax, so any comparison of optical types has been somewhat irrelevent for me. I do know that there are different  ...
 This is an important reason that (I think) Bybee's AND Z-Sleeves together work so well on a digital cable,,,, among other places. Presently, I use a Slipstrem Inline and a Z-Sleeve Ultra plus a Standard on my digital cable to my HTPC. I do the same for my other digital cable from my CDP but that one has 2 silver Bybees built into the cable. I find that the bybee's increase the dynamics of the soundstage but it's the Z-Sleeves that really clean things up, especially in the highs. Frankly, I wouldn't use any digital cable w/o these 2 products but hey,,, that's just me. :banghead: Almost time for my 5 credit card bills to start showing up this month,,,,,   :lol:  Regards, Robin

fredgarvin

« Reply #22 on: 12 Dec 2004, 02:03 am »
I am a bit of a cable sceptic myself, especially digital cables. my past experiance with cables has revealed "subtle" differances. However, I just brought home a Toshiba 3960 ( 69 dollars) for home theater use and popped in a cd to check its sound.  It was horrible, closed in and rolled off on top. On a whim I swapped out the 25 dollar Monster cable for the 6 dollar Radio Shack cable from the closet. I am no longer a cable sceptic. A 6 dollar cable revealed open abd resolving sound, a huge, obvious differance.

fredgarvin

« Reply #23 on: 12 Dec 2004, 02:03 am »
I am a bit of a cable sceptic myself, especially digital cables. my past experiance with cables has revealed "subtle" differances. However, I just brought home a Toshiba 3960 ( 69 dollars) for home theater use and popped in a cd to check its sound.  It was horrible, closed in and rolled off on top. On a whim I swapped out the 25 dollar Monster cable for the 6 dollar Radio Shack cable from the closet. I am no longer a cable sceptic. A 6 dollar cable revealed open abd resolving sound, a huge, obvious differance.

fredgarvin

cable
« Reply #24 on: 12 Dec 2004, 02:04 am »