Which Power Cable?

witchdoctor

Which Power Cable?
« on: 26 Dec 2015, 01:47 am »
I have been using Virtual Dynamics cables for years but you can only find them these days on the used market. Can anyone recommend a good power cord for my home theater PC? The PC goes into my Marantz 7702 processor. I want something that can help remove the digititis and make it more analog sounding. My budget can go up to $200, thanks.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: Which Power Cable?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2015, 05:13 am »
Wireworld Stratus or Aurora ($90 & $180 new respectively for 1M).  The Aurora is going to be a bit warmer with better mid-range, the Stratus more neutral but a bit grainier.  I uses Stratus with my Marantz AV7005 (and a lot of my other gear). 

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2015, 05:47 am »
I've heard Pangea's are hard to beat for low budget performers.

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2015, 02:32 pm »
Thanks, I was just looking at both the wireworld and the pangea and think I'll try the wireworld, appreciate the recommendation, Thanks! :thumb:

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2015, 02:42 am »
The WW pcs have that whole passive power conditioning thing going on with their geometry - which is a nice bonus. And price is very reasonable.

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2015, 03:04 am »
Thanks, I'll post once I audition it.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2015, 03:08 am »
The WW pcs have that whole passive power conditioning thing going on with their geometry - which is a nice bonus. And price is very reasonable.

Except they may provide worse results than typical twisted...

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2015, 03:16 am »
Except they may provide worse results than typical twisted...

They are "twisted"conductors - its the unique insulation materials and design that provides the primary noise reduction / power conditioning effect.

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2015, 04:32 am »
They're not twisted. They use safety ground as a shield around line and another one in parallel around neutral. The problem is while the shield might be low impedance, that doesn't make safety ground low impedance. Also there's no mutual inductance attenuation between line and neutral because they run parallel.

They might work decent. But I'm not convinced they're lower noise. (Maybe I can't see the obvious and they are, but I can reference anything you'd find in a book on the subject that tells me it'd work)

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2015, 02:49 pm »
Twisting the Hot & Neutral is good.
Shielding just the Neutral is bad.
The Safety Ground cross section area needs to be as large as the Hot & Neutral.
Insulation materials will NOT provide any primary noise reduction / power conditioning effect.
But a UL label means that it's safe. So does it have a UL label?