2008 Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH Rcvr: maximum bid?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
2008 Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH Rcvr: maximum bid?
« on: 24 Sep 2015, 06:49 pm »
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/VSX-01TXH   

What's the most I should bid on the above receiver, good shape?  $750 new retail.  Bid ends 6pm MDT.   

The only features I need are 7.1 and TrueHD.   Wanting a Pioneer because the line stage on my 2003 Pioneer (DD only) performs exceptionally well; hoping for similar line stage performance in this model but if not it still fulfills my need.

Thanks very much! 

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: 2008 Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH Rcvr: maximum bid?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2015, 11:24 pm »
Amazon has a used one for $475, if that gives you any indication.
It's been a while since I"ve been in the AVR market, but frankly, the resale value is horrible on electronics like these.
My $1600 unit was worth a fifth of that within a couple years as the industry/technology/market had advanced that quickly.

Personally, I'd shoot real low. Deals on AVRs come along pretty often James. Don't spend too much only to regret it later.
It's not like a tube amp that holds its value or will even still be working in ten years. Sadly to say.

Hope that helps.
Bob

srb

« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2015, 11:35 pm »
I've seen two on Craigslist listed for ~ $300.  I probably would be looking to spend $200 - $250.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2015, 11:45 pm »
Thanks very much gentlemen! 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2015, 02:23 am »
Unless you are on a tight budget, you'd be much better off getting a new VSX-90. It's about the least expensive Pioneer Elite model that won't be obsolete within the next few years as it supports HDMI 2 w HDCP 2.2 critical for 4K copy protected content. Furthermore it does Dolby Atmos. Lastly it has the arguably better ESS Sabre dac chips vs the Wolfson of the 01TXH. Wolfson might be a touch warmer for music, but the ESS Sabre better for home theater and gaming.

$699 full retail, $565 grey market. I personally would not buy a used last gen receiver to save $350 tops - specially not with the advent of Dolby Atmos and HDCP 2.2 which I think at this point would be mandatory to me. Just my .02's.