something new this way comes.....

stlrman

Re: something new this way comes.....
« Reply #20 on: 16 Mar 2017, 06:18 pm »
Can you discuss the specific drivers used?

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 17 Mar 2017, 03:00 am »
Lou,

I presume these are rear ported. Is front ported an option?

When price and specs are available, I would appreciate it if you could send me the info (including likely shipping costs to Taiwan).

Michael

Hi Michael,
Still working on the pricing etc. likely to be around $15k.  Please send me an email with an address and I will get a freight quote. Least expensive is to ship to the nearest major airport and let you pick them up there.
I suppose front port could be done but I don't think it necessary unless they were touching the front wall?  The ports are very small and restricted, this system is practically a sealed cabinet, very tight and controlled.

thanks,
lou

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #22 on: 17 Mar 2017, 03:03 am »
Can you discuss the specific drivers used?

These use the same mid and tweeter as the rest of my systems with a custom made 10" woofer that is very closely based on our propitiatory 8" woofer. Obviously a different crossover and the new option of Duelund resistor (mid) and Mundorf EVO Silver/Gold caps.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 20 Mar 2017, 03:13 am »
The Apollo will have an introductory price of $14,250 w/o the Duelund/MundorfEVO option ($399).
Approximate dims are 45" tall X 14.5" wide x 15.5"deep. These are asymmetrical so the dims are more complicated than HxWxD :wink:
These are full range, nearly flat from mid 20's to 22K

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #24 on: 20 Mar 2017, 03:19 am »
Hi, Lou!

Any initial thoughts comparing Apollo to Muse?  I'm sure committing to an all-new driver was a big step, and I know the 8" driver has been well regarded by audiophiles and musicians for a very long time.  What drove the change and (using these two speakers as the closest similar to compare if nothing else) what applications would one choose Apollo over Muse for as a matter of their respective design goals?  I'm guessing Athena and Apollo are likely the more appropriate head-to-head comparison, but I wager they are more apples and oranges as far as intended design goals?

Thanks!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 20 Mar 2017, 04:31 am »
Hi, Lou!

Any initial thoughts comparing Apollo to Muse?  I'm sure committing to an all-new driver was a big step, and I know the 8" driver has been well regarded by audiophiles and musicians for a very long time.  What drove the change and (using these two speakers as the closest similar to compare if nothing else) what applications would one choose Apollo over Muse for as a matter of their respective design goals?  I'm guessing Athena and Apollo are likely the more appropriate head-to-head comparison, but I wager they are more apples and oranges as far as intended design goals?

Thanks!
hi Jon,
Good questions. First let me say that the crossover in the Muse is different from our other systems, so yes comparing the Apollo to Athena is more logical. I decided to work with the baffle layout of the Muse as that is such a versatile design for placement and imaging.
The Apollo is extremely accurate and very much a full range speaker. This is a new model and it will take some time to see where it fits in the line. As for why I did this, I have always liked the sound of 10" drivers and finally had an opportunity to get some designs made up. It can be difficult to work with but there is a certain magic in that size driver.
Best thing is to come hear them at Axpona. We will have the Apollo in room 530 and the Poseidon in the LL Banks room.
thanks