Norh 6.1 vs 6.9

CHLim

Norh 6.1 vs 6.9
« on: 16 Sep 2008, 03:16 pm »
What are the major differences?
What is the recommended power to drive 6.9?
Thanks.

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Norh 6.1 vs 6.9
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2008, 09:54 pm »
Are you talking about the Synthetic Marble 6.1 vs 6.9?

6.9 is for more powerful amps and gives more bass and also detail

6.1 requires less power (more efficient) and has a silk tweeter.

http://www.norh.com/products/sm/index.html

I believe that several on this site have purchased the  6.9SM and were happy with them.

Not sure what the current prices for these are you will need to inquire with yuths@norhtec.com
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2008, 03:10 am by jqp »

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2008, 10:07 pm »
I have the 6.9SM and have driven them with LeAmps and an Odyssey amp.  Both worked well.
I also crossed them over to two Rava subs with better results.
I have never heard the 6.1 so I can not comment on them.

CHLim

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2008, 08:27 am »
Funny, nobody review SM6.1. There are many good reviews on SM6.9.
As for my case, SM6.1 is more suited to me because i will drive it with a 12w EL34 monoblock. Which Vifa driver are they using on SM6.1?
From SM6.9 reviews, i gathered that they could sound more like dynaudio, gutsy and powerful. Pls enlighten me.

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2008, 01:46 am »
Maybe no one on the site has the 6.1

Which "very efficient 6 1/2" Vifa woofer" ? Sounds like you will have to contact Yuths - a wise idea if you are interested.

You could also try to ask mbarnes himself at mbarnes@norhtec

sas

« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2008, 10:43 am »
I have a pair of 6.1 in wood.
Norh advertises them as 90db 1w/m
The driver specs, however, suggest 88.5db.
The 6.9 are spec'ed at 87db, as suggested by the driver specs.

So I doubt the difference in sensitivity is massive.

I see the main difference being the quality of the drivers.
I find the tweeter on the 6.1 is a bit grating.
I haven;t heard the XT tweeter on the 6.9, but it is a top diy choice for high-end performance.
The woofer in the 6.1 is OK. Nothing special.
The crossover in the 6.1 is a pretty basic.

The 6.1 sound good on acoustic material, jazz, piano etc. They're not great with rock/symphonies.
Bass is very good. Highs are a bit grating though.
Mid range is nothing to write home about.

IMO the 6.1 s are good speakers. Not great, but good.

Bhasi

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2008, 12:03 am »
I've had the SM6.1's since 2001.  I think they're very good indeed for all types of music from chamber and jazz to orchestral and rock.  I hear detail, more than adequate mid-band and bass, no screeching highs, and an always convincing overall presentation of the music.  Living in a London flat, and accommodating the speakers in a spare bedroom, though, I very rarely turn the volume up to the 'realistic' levels audiophiles often speak of. 

I've got no time or taste for comparative listening, so can't say anything useful about how they stack up against other speakers.   They've worked well successively with a Pioneer A400, nOrh SE9 and SI T-Amp, the latter combined with a Xindak valve pre-amp.  In the coming years, I'm more likely to upgrade my turntable or pre-amp (to get a tape monitor circuit and more inputs) than the speakers, though I have toyed with trying biamping with another T-amp (mainly out of curiosity and because T-amps are so cheap).   

I consistently come away from hifi shows wondering what all the fuss is about but that's probably as much to do with the choice of music and the hotel rooms as the equipment! 

Bottom line is that the SM6.1's have been a great-value fit-and-forget purchase for me for the last seven years.