Transporter or Bel Canto Dac3..which would you pick?

GHM

I'm thinking of going directly into my 300B amplifier with one of these units. Specs state 1 volt sensitivity for full output..I'm thinking a bit more is needed to get the best out of the amplifier.

Has anyone compared them? Which would be the best bang for the buck? I'm torn...and not sure which way to go. They can both be purchased around the same price. The transporter is a tad cheaper but not enough to sway me in that direction. I'm concerned about gain as well. Hopefully these compare favorably in that area. Also I use a 42 inch plasma as a display so the Transporters display isn't a factor either.

Flexibility and sound quality are what I'm mainly after.

Any other suggestions for preamp/dac units that are PC ready would be appreciated as well.

TIA

Folsom

Re: Transporter or Bel Canto Dac3..which would you pick?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2007, 01:58 am »
I like the Bel Canto Dac3 a lot... The only thing is that the input from computer is USB, which there is no way I would consider using. The transporter does not suffer from the issues associated with USB, the Squeezebox does not either. Forget USB. Now if you had a CD player into the Bel Canto, then by all means, sweet sounding DAC.

Stercom

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2007, 04:51 am »
In terms of sound quality, the Transporter, although better than the SB, doesn't come close to the Bel Canto. I agree you should stay away from using a PC and the USB port unless you have no other alternative for a transport - just too much noise which is clearly audible on most systems.

IronLion

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2007, 04:57 am »
For another opinion on USB- I use a Mac with a USB soundcard as my transport and there is no noise or issues with it whatsoever.  I have two soundcards, one Red Wine USB Select (battery-powered) and one Waveterminal U24, which is powered by the USB port; both sound great. 

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2007, 05:21 am »
Here is an idea, buy a Bell Canto but use a modified SqueezeBox to feed into it. The SqueezeBox's easy navigation alone is worth it. The Bel Canto is a seriously nice sounding DAC.

GHM

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2007, 06:00 am »
Thanks guys for the replies.

I've read this before about noise from the USB. I can honestly say..I've never heard any noise going USB from my PC. This is after using several USB Dacs/USB converters that do not claim galvanic isolation.

I also have optical spdif output from the PC. From my listening test the USB was still clearly better.

Glad the DAC3 is held in such high regard. I've been hesitant in trying one. You guys may have pushed me over the edge there. I can't seem to find one bad review on the Bel Canto. This Dac must be really good!

I'm thinking not all PCs are created equal when it comes to using the USB outputs. I've seen some folks that had problems and others that just sail along with no issues at all.

NewBuyer

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2007, 06:09 am »
Hey GHM you obviously can't go wrong with either of these choices. :)

I do not agree that the Bel Canto sounds better than a Transporter. In fact I personally find the opposite to be the case (very subjective stuff here though). I would be very happy with either - more happy with the Transporter though. :D

Are you running balanced cabling these days?

AliG

« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2007, 06:11 am »
Buyer Beware!

"Better" is a very misleading term, when used to compare audio equipments. :green: :green:

GHM

« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2007, 06:15 am »
 :lol: I hear ya guys.

NewBuyer not at the moment. I'm still single ended. My tube amplifier only has SE inputs. So now you got me back on the fence again. :duh:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec 2007, 06:19 am »
Gymane.....

What's in your system now ?

GHM

« Reply #10 on: 30 Dec 2007, 06:23 am »
Gymane.....

What's in your system now ?

Hey Chris...well I've been selling off stuff left and right. No preamp at the moment nor Dac. Basically I'm just swaying in the wind. Looking for a good match with the KR Antares 300BXLS amplifier and my Brines FTA-2000s. Using a PC as the transport of course.

I was looking at the Modwright 9.0..I would still need a good Dac. I'm trying to stay under $2000 total.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 2007, 06:31 am »
Hard to pick a DAC for someone....there are many different "flavors".... :scratch:

I'm still impressed with the Altmann...that was a good DAC....might remind you of your past one. I did hear a Bel Canto at one of the Rave's....but I can't fully recall how it sounded... :?

Check here...

GHM

« Reply #12 on: 30 Dec 2007, 06:33 am »
Hard to pick a DAC for someone....there are many different "flavors".... :scratch:

I'm still impressed with the Altmann...that was a good DAC....might remind you of your past one. I did hear a Bel Canto at one of the Rave's....but I can't fully recall how it sounded... :?

Hey Chris if I could afford it..I would buy one like yours!! That modified ECD-1..now that's one hellavu Dac!! :o

lonewolfny42

« Reply #13 on: 30 Dec 2007, 06:35 am »

Hey Chris if I could afford it..I would buy one like yours!! That modified ECD-1..now that's one hellavu Dac!!
It pulls out a lot of details....is that what your looking for ?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=33459.0 ....link to BC DAC Rave

GHM

« Reply #14 on: 30 Dec 2007, 06:47 am »
Yes I want a Dac that gives me all the air and details without hardness. If it is a tad warm that's OK too. I would rather be a little on the warm side than too cool sounding.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2007, 06:54 am »
I'm trying to stay under $2000 total.
For the DAC only...or for both the preamp and DAC ?

GHM

« Reply #16 on: 30 Dec 2007, 06:56 am »

For both Dac and preamp if going with separates.

Thanks for the links!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #17 on: 30 Dec 2007, 07:04 am »

For both Dac and preamp if going with separates.

Thanks for the links!
Modwright used would be $1,300. to $1,600. range....thats what I've see on Agon in the past....so the rest for a DAC....$400. to $700.

Many are happy with a modded SB.....and buffer....

Most recent MW sale.... $1,100. ...... http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?preatube&1201893938

lonewolfny42

« Reply #18 on: 30 Dec 2007, 07:08 am »
If you want to spend less on the preamp....I would go for a Mapletree....check with topround...its been to many Rave's....I'd say its a best buy. :wink:

GHM

« Reply #19 on: 30 Dec 2007, 07:11 am »
If you want to spend less on the preamp....I would go for a Mapletree....check with topround...its been to many Rave's....I'd say its a best buy. :wink:

Thanks Chris..I saw the Modwrights around $1100 recently on Agon. I wasn't for sure if that was a good buy or not. I guess it is from what you've seen.

I'll bug a few folks and see what I can dig up.