CNC mono chassis $71.50ea + shipping Utah

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: CNC mono chassis $71.50ea + shipping Utah
« Reply #180 on: 21 Jul 2012, 12:29 am »
My XLRs are cock eyed too.

I may just leave them for now.
That means you have purchased the wrong part #.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #181 on: 22 Jul 2012, 10:28 pm »
That means you have purchased the wrong part #.

Maybe not. After discovering that my P style connectors were not lining up, I purchased two of the D style connectors you suggested. They arrived yesterday and have the same hole alignment problem.

mgalusha

« Reply #182 on: 25 Jul 2012, 03:29 am »
Maybe not. After discovering that my P style connectors were not lining up, I purchased two of the D style connectors you suggested. They arrived yesterday and have the same hole alignment problem.

that sucks, then the holes are wrong for both styles. The angle should be different though. Is there enough room to drill new holes to make the D series line up correctly? Or even the P series? Note that I don't have one of these chassis, so my observations are based on past experience and the photos in the thread.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #183 on: 25 Jul 2012, 11:44 am »
that sucks,
+1

Can anyone measure the cases hole dimensions VS the connectors?  Do you guys know what drawing was sent to SR and where those dimensions came from? 

Have you asked James what XLR he designed this case around?

mr_bill

« Reply #184 on: 25 Jul 2012, 06:16 pm »
I ordered the model what was spec'd at the time for the pre drilling and they don't fit.

Everything else fits according to design.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #185 on: 25 Jul 2012, 06:49 pm »
+1

Can anyone measure the cases hole dimensions VS the connectors?  Do you guys know what drawing was sent to SR and where those dimensions came from? 

There is no issue attaching the XLRs, so things could be worse. And I think the issue could be resolved with a drill press and tap.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #186 on: 25 Jul 2012, 07:06 pm »
There is no issue attaching the XLRs
If they're not straight there is an issue.   :wink:  That really does look like Fighto's A$$ IMO.

So, as I said, do you have measurements of the case VS the XLR connector?  There is a center hole, and then center to center location of the 3mm holes and then the location of the 3mm from the centerline of the large center hole.

With all of that, I can see what the problem is.  You might be able to as well.

mscofield

« Reply #187 on: 1 Aug 2012, 08:42 pm »
Hi, I'm new here..

So what is the best way to order this case? At the Siliconray webshop?
Are there any plans for an improved 2.0 version where I should be waiting for?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #188 on: 9 Aug 2012, 06:25 pm »
Every single part fits perfectly. 

Notes:

Yes, the XLR swivels about -20-degrees counter-clockwise from vertical.  At first I disapproved.  I would prefer vertical, but frankly don't care much now.

Slightly loosen all or some screws before fastening the top screws, then tighten all.  Otherwise top screws might not fit perfectly and risk of stripping thread.

I'd prefer about 10mm less clearance between the two vertical binding posts.

Overall, chassis above expectations.

Included rubber feet nice surprise, big, soft, but protrude about 5mm outside chassis side panels.  Trung suggested and I agree: attach inside with double sided tape.

Prefer the SR included free IEC over Parts Express.  SR jacks about +20% greater tension.

Nice fastener quality, black anodizing above average. 

Awesome, unexpected threaded all fastener holes.  My fingers so big my guitar neck +1/8" wider than average...can barely hold a 3mm nut.  No nuts required (well, you know what I mean, this is a family forum).     

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #189 on: 9 Aug 2012, 06:27 pm »
that sucks, then the holes are wrong for both styles. The angle should be different though. Is there enough room to drill new holes to make the D series line up correctly? Or even the P series? Note that I don't have one of these chassis, so my observations are based on past experience and the photos in the thread.

False.  Specified XLR and all other parts fit perfectly first time and on all three chassis built. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #190 on: 9 Aug 2012, 06:28 pm »
+1

Sorry this thread so long.  Look back for specified part.  Every part fit perfectly including XLR, etc, all, every single part. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #191 on: 9 Aug 2012, 06:32 pm »
Every part fit perfectly including XLR, etc, all, every single part.
Well, if you consider the XLR connector at a -20* angle "perfect" then I guess so.   :P  :roll:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #192 on: 9 Aug 2012, 06:35 pm »
Specified XLR come in gold or silver contacts.

I recommend emphatically gold only but keep reading.  Do not, I repeat, do not employ silver contacts unless you know absolutely for sure your system leans toward under-damped, slow-ish, soft balance, and it absolutely needs to be thinned out.  Even then I might still prefer gold.   

Also never mix-match contact materials.  I feel very sure it's far better to match contact materials rather than mix them.  For instance, don't employ some crazy costly jack with exotic contact just because it's perceived "better", unless you match the material on the mating connector.  Even applies to the IEC.   

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #193 on: 9 Aug 2012, 06:40 pm »
Well, if you consider the XLR connector at a -20* angle "perfect" then I guess so.   :P  :roll:

Edited: double checked the XLR, which has vertical solder wells.  SR did cut the holes incorrectly, which should be vertical for cosmetic effect, not 20 degrees off axis.  The XLR fits perfectly "size-wise" but is off axis about 20 degrees.  Sorry (again) for my not wearing glasses earlier when glancing at the XLR solder wells.   

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #194 on: 9 Aug 2012, 06:43 pm »
I'm holding the specified XLR in my hand now and staring at it.  The solder wells are off-axis equal to the chassis screw holes.
Can you post a picture of this?  If I'm correct in what I think you're saying I don't see why it would matter if one can solder.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #195 on: 9 Aug 2012, 06:46 pm »
Can you post a picture of this?  If I'm correct in what I think you're saying I don't see why it would matter if one can solder.

Jason, I double checked (with glasses this time!) and indeed you are correct, the holes should be vertical.  Sorry about that error.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #196 on: 9 Aug 2012, 06:52 pm »
I ordered the model what was spec'd at the time for the pre drilling and they don't fit.

Everything else fits according to design.

I originally specified the wrong Neutrik XLR.  Trung caught my error and I later specified the correct XLR.  My humble apology.   

Angaria

« Reply #197 on: 19 Oct 2012, 03:34 am »
Same crooked xlr problem others have been having... did these xlr's go on straight? http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/dl-series/nc3fd-l-b-1
thanks!

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #198 on: 19 Oct 2012, 01:10 pm »
Same crooked xlr problem others have been having... did these xlr's go on straight? http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/dl-series/nc3fd-l-b-1
thanks!

Only if you drill new holes.

TrungT

« Reply #199 on: 19 Oct 2012, 01:28 pm »
^^^^^
+1
I had to drill and tap new holes.  :evil: