CNC mono chassis $71.50ea + shipping Utah

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
Re: CNC mono chassis $71.50ea + shipping Utah
« Reply #140 on: 25 Jun 2012, 06:26 pm »
First one to post image of two assembled working Ncore amps from this group buy wins....I don't know what...someone help me...

More time with their amps than the other guys ;)

santacore

« Reply #141 on: 25 Jun 2012, 06:56 pm »
Phone # sent to: sales@siliconray.com

I hope that's right.

Thanks James!

mr_bill

« Reply #142 on: 25 Jun 2012, 08:01 pm »
Big Jim,
Do you think we should have cut venting openings in the top of our Romeyn chassis?
Do the NCores run hot and need ventilation and not a sealed chassis?
Thanks,
Bill

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #143 on: 25 Jun 2012, 08:36 pm »
Ok, I think I read every page here re. heating except page 1, which IIRC had little to no answers.

Here's my analysis, based on the thread including comments from his Highness, Lordship Putzeys.

1.  The hottest running component is the PS cap(s).

2. The lower the speaker's impedance and the more difficult is its phase angle, the lower the sensitivity, the larger the room, the louder the SPL, the farther the speaker to listener distance, and the deeper the bass program, the hotter will run the amp. 

3.Venting is not required.  If none, per Bruno, after ten years (earth years, I'm a Trekkie) continuous use, the PS caps might change value.  Not necessarily affecting performance, but they could change value.  Jason the Ncore moderator here built his Ncore in the same chassis in the same layout (but inverted speaker/XLR input positions, irrelevant to heat) is satisfied that he will not add venting.

I plan to shortly publish here a DIY speaker array with superb audio results.  The array decreases floor real estate behind the speakers, making my first choice to lay the Ncore amps face down, rear panel up.  This results in the PS cap heat traveling straight up and over the amp module, what appears to be the worst case scenario.  If space allows I may lay the base plate down in its normal position. 

Either way, I do plan to add venting myself.  I will screw one amp together and check floor real estate.  Depending on Ncore physical orientation, I plan to add 3-5mm of spacers on the screws (may require longer screws) to elevate whatever panels end up on the base and the top. 

Unfortunately, all the heat/venting info appeared during our wait in China, so it wasn't available till very recently. 

Again, I am convinced that venting is optional, not required, and as of now I will add some venting.

I'm making three amps for me and three for a buddy who is a Marine Aviator.  We talked about the heating issue at length because we both would like to increase the chances of getting a good 15-20 years trouble free use out of our amps. 

Sight unseen and sound unheard, I'm convinced as of this minute that I won't be upgrading any time soon.  Time will tell.

« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2012, 01:58 am by James Romeyn »

mr_bill

« Reply #144 on: 25 Jun 2012, 10:44 pm »
Thank you Jimbo!
Per you and Trung, I'll find some spacers and 'lift' the top lid and that should be good enough in my book.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #145 on: 25 Jun 2012, 11:02 pm »
FWIW, I just took a look, and the  bottom could be spaced away from the sides, same as the top, to get convection air flow through the chassis for cooling without putting holes in the panels.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #146 on: 26 Jun 2012, 02:02 am »
Barry, you de man! 

siliconray

• Industry Participant
« Reply #147 on: 26 Jun 2012, 03:01 am »
Hello all, I'm sorry to post this but somebody ordered the James nCore enclosure with paypal account drkingweeb@xxxxxx.com, I didn't receive email from him with this email and there's no name in email can match the name in the paypal account. Please contact me for shipping if you see this post, thanks. The name in paypal account is Michxxx Stevxxxx

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Image, stack ready to ship
« Reply #148 on: 26 Jun 2012, 06:04 pm »
Received this image 00:33 hours today (presumably 12:33 hours @ SR).  Have hope, ye of little faith...

Future GB: Mike received multiple requests for ten more pieces, same CNC build.  Buyers interested in another GB toward MOQ (minimum order quantity) of 20: you might consider waiting till you read feedback concerning the quality of parts fitment (or lack thereof) with one of these chassis from the first batch.  I plan to post ASAP after the chassis arrive.     

Airborn

« Reply #149 on: 26 Jun 2012, 08:29 pm »
Nice! :thumb:  I see the only faceplate not attached yet is the one that says "James Romeyn" on it. Hope they didn't run out of chassis. :P

gnomon

Re: Image, stack ready to ship
« Reply #150 on: 26 Jun 2012, 11:55 pm »
Received this image 00:33 hours today (presumably 12:33 hours @ SR).  Have hope, ye of little faith...
snip

Future GB: Mike received multiple requests for ten more pieces, same CNC build.  Buyers interested in another GB toward MOQ (minimum order quantity) of 20: you might consider waiting till you read feedback concerning the quality of parts fitment (or lack thereof) with one of these chassis from the first batch.  I plan to post ASAP after the chassis arrive.     

I read about this group buy too late to participate, but I am very glad to hear that other such opportunities may appear in the future.  James, thank you for organizing this effort; your transparency throughout the process has answered every question I've had so far, save the last about how well you like the results.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #151 on: 27 Jun 2012, 04:00 am »
From SR tonight:
Hello James

I'm Jane from siliconray. I have sent 6 enclosures by China Post SAL Parcel.  The tracking number is XXXXX and the delivery time will be 20 days. please be patient for your goods.

Best regards

Jane

Well, the good news is I don't have to clean off my work table for a couple more weeks.  The bad news is extended delay till Ncore chassis arrives. 

siliconray

• Industry Participant
« Reply #152 on: 27 Jun 2012, 06:25 am »
It seems that I have to make at least 20pcs again. I got more and more email demands now. But I will not send before some of you write a review here. It will takes about 2 weeks on the way.

Thanksgramps

« Reply #153 on: 28 Jun 2012, 08:33 pm »
My wife just called and asked why she had to give $68 check to a UPS driver with a small box from the Netherlands (expected duty).  WooHoo!!  Now all that's left is waiting for the 2 chassis to arrive.  Can't wait.  Will be tough to not put it all together on a board while I wait.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #154 on: 29 Jun 2012, 04:18 am »
gramps,
I decided assembling my three amps on boards for temporary duty is not worth the effort vs. waiting for the chassis.  Especially because they require some type of cover for the cats.   

Thanksgramps

« Reply #155 on: 29 Jun 2012, 12:10 pm »
Thanks James. Speakers were just ordered and in early production so its easy to take your advice and wait. Also, thank you for putting this all together with Mike.

jkelly

« Reply #156 on: 5 Jul 2012, 10:04 pm »
Just wrote my check - cases please arrive! :-)

Jeff

My wife just called and asked why she had to give $68 check to a UPS driver with a small box from the Netherlands (expected duty).  WooHoo!!  Now all that's left is waiting for the 2 chassis to arrive.  Can't wait.  Will be tough to not put it all together on a board while I wait.

Airborn

« Reply #157 on: 10 Jul 2012, 07:23 pm »
Look what just arrived from China!  :D Very well packed and much quicker than the 20 day estimate.  The face plate engraving is nice. Good job by Mike and everyone at Silicon Ray. :thumb:

Now I just need the amps and power supplies from Hypex. :duh:

TrungT

« Reply #158 on: 10 Jul 2012, 07:27 pm »
Nice  :thumb:

Thanksgramps

« Reply #159 on: 10 Jul 2012, 08:03 pm »
Oh no, been dragging my heels and still don't have binding posts.  I better get on it.  These sure did get here quickly.  Hope to find the same when I get home.  How is the quality?