Where to start with HAL-O JR. Damping Instruments?

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
Hi Steve,

I've used your tube dampers with great results.  I am a very, very happy customer.  Now I'm ready to start working on my interconnects.  I will be buying HAL-O Jrs in small batches and work my way through my stereo.  I'm thinking of starting with the digital cable between my cd transport and DAC and then moving down the chain from my DAC to the pre-amp and then to the amp(s).  Do you concur with this sequence or would you recommend something else?  Keep up the good work!!

Thanks,

Mike

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Where to start with HAL-O JR. Damping Instruments?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2011, 03:27 am »
Sure, Mike. It always makes sense to start at the source and work your way along. There's virtually no chance of overdoing it with interconnect dampers, but then again, oftentimes there's no need for dampers on every interconnect plug.

Interconnect dampers are sometimes more beneficial at one end of a cable or the other, sometimes most beneficial at both ends. The only way you can tell is by trying them in different configurations. Sometimes though, damping a single RCA plug may provide benefit that is very subtle and maybe undetectable, but accumulatively adds up. Sometimes too, the result of damping one end of an interconnect is masked by the undamped other end.

With a couple of pairs of JRs, you can audition them as you go along to find out where they are most beneficial. For thorough auditioning, take an additive approach, and then incrementally subtract. You might end up skipping the transport/DAC cable and start with the DAC/preamp cables. But what do I know? The only way to know is by self-discovery, as results are always unique to the individual system.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
Re: Where to start with HAL-O JR. Damping Instruments?
« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2011, 08:54 pm »
Steve,

Thanks for your reply.  I'll place and order and experiment starting with the digital cable.

Mike