Salkstream to no longer work with Roon?!?! [Update: It will still work fine]

Saturn94

I just read this statement from Roon;

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/important-changes-to-how-roon-interacts-with-uncertified-roon-ready-devices/120204

If I’m reading it right, the Salkstream will no longer work with Roon because it is not on the list of Certified Roon Ready devices.  Existing users can still use it as long as they don’t change what is enabled in the Audio Settings.

Am I understanding this correctly?  Is Salk working towards being certified Roon Ready so that Salkstream owners can still use Roon?

As a lifetime member of Roon, this is very disturbing that they can just yank away usability like this.

« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2020, 11:20 pm by Saturn94 »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Salkstream to no longer work with Roon?!?!
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2020, 04:07 pm »
Appears that way!  Do not disable it and you should be fine for a bit.

https://roonlabs.com/partners

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2020, 04:16 pm »
Appears that way!  Do not disable it and you should be fine for a bit.

https://roonlabs.com/partners

While I don’t plan to disable anything, sometimes technical glitches or hardware failure can necessitated disabling then re-enabling devices.

There’s much confusion on the Roon forum about how users will be affected.  Roon has some explaining to do!

DEP14

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2020, 04:20 pm »
This would be a huge bummer, though I trust Jim will research it and let us know what to expect.

As a lifetime Roon member on the surface this seems like a crummy move by them, particularly given the timeframe. 

Based on what I am reading, seems as if you simply had to do a reboot of your system and you will be done until certification.

As much as I like Roon, this would indeed be a huge bummer.  Of course I have the Oppo Sonica DAC and I don't believe it was "Certified" either.  But, I am not sure if that means Roon won't "See" my streamer and my DAC, or just the streamer.  I would think that it should still see the DAC's as it's just pointing the signal there. 

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2020, 05:03 pm »
So this clarification was posted by Roon:

Dylan Caudill
Roon Labs: Manager, Technical Support

Hi everyone:

To clarify, this only affects devices which are going to be Roon Ready network players 8 but were released before their Roon Ready certification was completed. When our partners create a Roon Ready network player, they go through a certification process that ensures they meet the quality requirements expected of all devices in the program.

When a device releases in an uncertified state like this, they are in violation of our licensing agreements, and we cannot ensure that these uncertified Roon Ready network players live up to the quality that is expected of Roon Ready devices.

This does not affect non Roon Ready devices like USB DACs, Roon Tested devices, Airplay, Sonos, etc. These devices will continue to be supported. If your device does not specifically say Uncertified on the audio settings screen, it will not be affected.

So it only appears to affect devices advertised as Roon Ready but have not completed the certification process.  I first thought Salkstream owners would not be affected, but I see on the Salkstream webpage they are listed as Roon Ready;

Does this mean Salkstream owners are affected?  :scratch:

A clarification from Salk would be greatly appreciated!

rmdtexas

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2020, 02:55 am »
Fairly sure this is for certified Roon endpoints. The Salk streamer is a linux PC running Roon Core/Server. It is where you would enable the endpoints it discovers on your network.

DEP14

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2020, 03:03 am »
Interesting, so in looking at my audio device set-up.  It says my OPPO Sonica DAC is "unidentified" - wondering if that is the same as uncertified.  That would certainly be a bummer if I need to purchase a new DAC, but there are SO many DAC's out there that I am sure are not certified.  Hopefully over the next few days Roon further clarifies the situation.

After going through fast growing thread on the Roon support boards, it appears that in your Audio Settings - a big red "uncertified" shows up on anything Roon "sees" that will be affected.  Right now the streamer (which as noted is more of a computer) and my oppo sonica do not have that - so I am hopeful. 

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2020, 03:38 am »
Fairly sure this is for certified Roon endpoints. The Salk streamer is a linux PC running Roon Core/Server. It is where you would enable the endpoints it discovers on your network.

That makes sense.

What is throwing me off, though, is the Salkstream being described as “Roon Ready” on the Salk site, but not listed on the Roon site of “Roon Ready” devices.  Roon is stating devices being advertised as “Roon Ready”, but have not completed the certification process, will be affected by the new policy.

Perhaps Salk’s use of the term “Roon Ready” is different than Roon’s?

Like I said, clarification from Salk would be appreciated.

Saturn94

« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2020, 03:42 am »
Interesting, so in looking at my audio device set-up.  It says my OPPO Sonica DAC is "unidentified" - wondering if that is the same as uncertified.  That would certainly be a bummer if I need to purchase a new DAC, but there are SO many DAC's out there that I am sure are not certified.  Hopefully over the next few days Roon further clarifies the situation.

After going through fast growing thread on the Roon support boards, it appears that in your Audio Settings - a big red "uncertified" shows up on anything Roon "sees" that will be affected.  Right now the streamer (which as noted is more of a computer) and my oppo sonica do not have that - so I am hopeful.

I don’t have anything in the Audio settings listed as “Uncertified”, so I think I’m ok.  I don’t think being “Unidentified” is an issue.

See my above post about my remaining confusion on the issue.

iowa

• Brennan B2>TDAI 1120>Sierra 1> T-Zero(2)
« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2020, 02:51 pm »
This isn't specific to the Salk Stream, but I emailed Innuos about my Zen Mini and got this response. It may help to clarify (or raise more questions).

The short answer: No, this does not affect Innuos servers. If you go to Roon > Settings > Audio this only affects devices that show there as "Uncertified".

The long answer:

There is much confusion about what Roon Core, Roon Ready and Roon Tested really is:

1. Roon Core - this is a partnership for devices that can act as a Roon Core so they can both act as an endpoint and serve other endpoints.
2. Roon Ready - This is a certification for endpoint devices - streamers that normally do not have storage and cannot run as Roon Core.
3. Roon Tested - This is a certification for devices such as DACs that can connect to either a Roon Core or a Roon Ready endpoint

You can read a full description from Roon here.
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_partner_programs

The current announcement from Roon applies only to Roon Ready devices and regards manufacturers who have initiated a Roon Ready certification process, where they have received SDKs and have unfinished code but are already selling their devices and market them as Roon Ready. You can see the full announcement here. https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-ready-certification/91655/63

This is not the case for Innuos. Our devices are Roon Core servers and although they can work as an endpoint, Roon Ready certification doesn't really apply to our product. Currently, Roon only lists partners on their website for Roon Ready and Roon Tested devices. Innuos is a Roon Core partner and, as such, Innuos will not show there.

We hope this clarifies your question.

Best regards!

TomS

« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2020, 04:05 pm »
This isn't specific to the Salk Stream, but I emailed Innuos about my Zen Mini and got this response. It may help to clarify (or raise more questions).

The short answer: No, this does not affect Innuos servers. If you go to Roon > Settings > Audio this only affects devices that show there as "Uncertified".

The long answer:

There is much confusion about what Roon Core, Roon Ready and Roon Tested really is:

1. Roon Core - this is a partnership for devices that can act as a Roon Core so they can both act as an endpoint and serve other endpoints.
2. Roon Ready - This is a certification for endpoint devices - streamers that normally do not have storage and cannot run as Roon Core.
3. Roon Tested - This is a certification for devices such as DACs that can connect to either a Roon Core or a Roon Ready endpoint

The current announcement from Roon applies only to Roon Ready devices and regards manufacturers who have initiated a Roon Ready certification process, where they have received SDKs and have unfinished code but are already selling their devices and market them as Roon Ready. You can see the full announcement here. https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-ready-certification/91655/63

This is not the case for Innuos. Our devices are Roon Core servers and although they can work as an endpoint, Roon Ready certification doesn't really apply to our product. Currently, Roon only lists partners on their website for Roon Ready and Roon Tested devices. Innuos is a Roon Core partner and, as such, Innuos will not show there.

Best regards!

Roon will not provide support for Innuos devices as Core or Endpoint. Here is what Danny at Roon said a while back https://community.roonlabs.com/t/about-the-innuos-category/76636

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2020, 05:32 pm »
Sorry for the slow response, but I just wanted to confirm with Roon before I did.

There will be no issues with StreamPlayer Gen III or Gen III SE working with Roon.

There has been a change in what is considered "Roon Ready."  It now mainly concerns units that serve as Roon endpoints. Those must be certified.

We supplied a StreamPlayer to Roon for testing when we started installing Roon by default.  The technical description now should be that a StreamPlayer is a "Roon Core" device.  Roon will continue to support the StreamPlayer as a Roon Core device.

So there are no worries.

- Jim

iowa

• Brennan B2>TDAI 1120>Sierra 1> T-Zero(2)
« Reply #12 on: 10 Sep 2020, 06:14 pm »
Roon will not provide support for Innuos devices as Core or Endpoint. Here is what Danny at Roon said a while back https://community.roonlabs.com/t/about-the-innuos-category/76636
Thanks for the info- maybe its time to look at a Salk StreamPlayer

JDoyle

« Reply #13 on: 10 Sep 2020, 07:37 pm »
Thanks for the info- maybe its time to look at a Salk StreamPlayer

I’ve said it before, it’s bulletproof.
No issues as a Roon core with mine for 3+ years now...

JD

Saturn94

« Reply #14 on: 10 Sep 2020, 07:55 pm »
Sorry for the slow response, but I just wanted to confirm with Roon before I did.

There will be no issues with StreamPlayer Gen III or Gen III SE working with Roon.

There has been a change in what is considered "Roon Ready."  It now mainly concerns units that serve as Roon endpoints. Those must be certified.

We supplied a StreamPlayer to Roon for testing when we started installing Roon by default.  The technical description now should be that a StreamPlayer is a "Roon Core" device.  Roon will continue to support the StreamPlayer as a Roon Core device.

So there are no worries.

- Jim

Thanks, Jim.  I greatly appreciate the clarification. 😀

PS - You might want to change the terminology on the Salkstream comparison page to avoid any future confusion.  :thumb:

Saturn94

« Reply #15 on: 10 Sep 2020, 08:00 pm »

The long answer:

Best regards!

It appears Roon has eliminated the page that lists Roon Core partners.  :scratch:

I remember seeing Salkstream on that page in the past.  It’s good to hear Jim has confirmed continued support with Roon.

Saturn94

« Reply #16 on: 10 Sep 2020, 11:17 pm »
Roon has come up with a solution for those affected by the policy change:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/a-fix-for-uncertified-roon-ready-devices/120426/19

It’s good to see Roon take users’ concerns seriously.

wilbur_the_goose

I ran into the same issue with my Monoprice HTP-1 processor.   Eventually, Monolith (the people that actually make the HTP-1) had to make some changes to the firmware to ensure compliance with Roon's standards, submit it for testing by Roon.   About a month later, it was certified.