Hello from a Van Alstine fan.

hitchcca

Hello from a Van Alstine fan.
« on: 22 Feb 2023, 02:25 pm »
Hey Everyone!. I'm a new member here but a long time reader. This forum has been tremendously helpful in my audio journey.  Most of my main components are Van Alstine and I love it.  I've included a picture of my system.  The Van Alstine parts are - FET Valve Topp Dac, Transcendence 10 RB preamp, and a bi-amped pair of Vision SET 120 power amps.  Just fantastic!

SoaringBear

Re: Hello from a Van Alstine fan.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2023, 03:27 am »
Hi and welcome. Nice system.

pgc5016

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2023, 03:32 am »
Nice! How do you like the SET 120? Have you compared them to any other AVA amps?

hitchcca

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2023, 03:04 pm »
Hey pgc5016, the SET 120 is my first AVA amp and I'm really enjoying it.  Previously I had a mono block pair of Parasound amps, but the SET 120 crushed it.  Actually, I'm currently running two SET 120s and bi-amping them.  Together they are amazing.  With the Fortes I've only used the bi-amp setup, but before the Fortes I had a pair of Monitor Audio Gold 10 bookshelf speakers.  They sounded really good with a single SET 120, but benefited tremendously from the bi-amp setup.  They were also way more thirsty than the Fortes.  Highly recommended!

jandrews

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2023, 04:40 pm »
How exactly are you biamping with the SET 120?
One for each Klipsch? What is powering your super tweeters up top?
Assuming you’re not bridging the outputs?
Thanks

jandrews

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2023, 05:00 pm »
OP
Scratch my previous question, I see now what you are doing

BEL1001MkV

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2023, 10:30 pm »
I don't have time to re-type my thoughtful introduction or re-share all of the helpful information the website just obliterated  :evil: so I'll just grovel for tube recommendations instead: I have on its way a "Mint" AVA FET Valve CFR that's an Open Box and may never even have been used, for $1500.  Despite my moniker I'm all tube now and I have two separate systems - this will replace a Little Dot MkIII headphone amp / preamp (~ $300 plus whatever I paid for NOS tubes) which I was using temporarily.

I'm specifically interested in NOS tube recommendations for the Van Alstine FET Valve CFR preamp.  A pair of 12AT7's does the heavy lifting and a pair of 12AU7's are used as cathode followers.  I also have guitar amps that are using those and 12AX7's so I've decided to judiciously stock up on a few of the classics in anticipation of further tube rolling in my exquisite Thor TA-1000 MkII preamp as well as my three heavily-modified guitar amps originally branded Blackheart (the amps, not the tubes - those were JJ stock :o)

Thanks!

BEL1001MkV

NOS Tubes for AVA FET Valve CFR?
« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2023, 10:35 pm »
To be clear (and because I need to make three posts :o) I'm looking for the best recommendations for NOS 12AT7 and NOS 12AU7 tubes for my Van Alstine FET Valve CFR preamp, made by the likes of Amperex, Mullard, RCA, and Telefunken.  Also intrigued by Brimar, Mazda, Valvo and some of the other old brands.  Anyone try these in my preamp or similar?  Thank you!

eduke55

« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2023, 09:34 pm »
Hi Bel1001mvV,
I have had very good results from Vintage Tubes Services(https://vintagetubeservices.com/, and Brent Jessee(https://www.audiotubes.com/). Andy at Vintage is hard to get hold of and usually a 2-3 month wait, but I can say it is worth it! Best tubes I have ever had in ModWright integrated and MW phono (9.0X). Brent Jessee's tubes are also very good and had them in Rogue Pharaoh and tubed cd player. I have also bought from the Tube Depot, The Tube Store and from Upscale audio(Gold Lions, not bad for the money). Try reaching out to VTS and Brent J first. Good Luck!

avahifi

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2023, 03:33 pm »
My electronic engineer says,

"I too am looking forward to another source of 12AX7As. I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the main determinant of how a tube thing sounds isn't whether it uses a 12AX7A, a 12AT7, a 6922, or whatever. It's more down to how well a particular tube's construction limits microphonics in the audio band. And by microphonics, I don't mean the howls and pings you can see on a scope. I mean the things that fall below the ability to see on conventional 'scope tests. Grids are particularly important, because grid disturbances don't get suppressed by feedback -- they are simply seen as input. So, having yet another source will be a good thing."

Frank

G E

« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2023, 10:12 pm »
Western Electric now makes 300b tubes and will also make 12AX7 in the not too distant future!

https://www.westernelectric.com/300b

They aren’t far from where I live so I might do a daytrip, get the 25 cent tour if offered

If I’m lucky to meet the principal I will try for an interview.

Chattanooga is not far from there and there are some good brew and burger joints. Also the TN Aquarium and an iMax Theater with one of the largest screens in the East. I was fortunate to see Let It Be there and it was magnificent!  I still have that smile on my face.

G E

« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2023, 10:22 pm »
Hi Bel1001mvV,
I have had very good results from Vintage Tubes Services(https://vintagetubeservices.com/, and Brent Jessee(https://www.audiotubes.com/). Andy at Vintage is hard to get hold of and usually a 2-3 month wait, but I can say it is worth it! Best tubes I have ever had in ModWright integrated and MW phono (9.0X). Brent Jessee's tubes are also very good and had them in Rogue Pharaoh and tubed cd player. I have also bought from the Tube Depot, The Tube Store and from Upscale audio(Gold Lions, not bad for the money). Try reaching out to VTS and Brent J first. Good Luck!

My two fave sources as well. Andy is a gem and lots of fun to talk to.  I’d love to be in a room with Frank and Andy sharing their views of the audio world!

Brent is also tops. He also offeres a maintenance agreement on his tubes. Yeah, yeah, I know, but I’ve had to use it twice with some very expensive 12AX7 tubes, the pre 1956 jobs that sound oh so good.

My application is tube phono preamp and quiet, high performing valves are essential.

Both vendors are top of the tube pyramid in my book.

Probably not ones that can provide product to scale for an equipment manufacturer tho