Picture Of The Day

charmerci

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #1120 on: 3 Aug 2010, 09:50 pm »

charmerci, nice pic of the reflection glass pyramid... is this in France? I would cropped out the right side out to get rid of the empty black space above right and make the pic a bit more squared for this one. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Yeah, it's the Louvre. I did crop it but it's really plain without the black in the upper corner. I did crop it a bit there (a third of the right part of the black space) and it is better! Thanks.

edit - the original has been replaced by the new edit.

charlie

bside123

« Reply #1121 on: 4 Aug 2010, 02:21 am »

Shot through the windshield of a Toyota Micro Bus during a massive downpour of rain. Dhaka City, Bangladesh. August 2, 2010 Canon G-11

SET Man

« Reply #1122 on: 4 Aug 2010, 02:41 am »
Yeah, it's the Louvre. I did crop it but it's really plain without the black in the upper corner. I did crop it a bit there (a third of the right part of the black space) and it is better! Thanks.

edit - the original has been replaced by the new edit.

charlie

Hey!

No problem. :D That was just my opinion. But at the end it is really up to the person who took the picture to decide.

Shot through the windshield of a Toyota Micro Bus during a massive downpour of rain. Dhaka City, Bangladesh. August 2, 2010 Canon G-11

bside123, great shot there. I like it. There is the case of being at the right place, right time, right condition and right moment. Good catch there :D

Take care,

bside123

« Reply #1123 on: 4 Aug 2010, 02:52 am »

bside123, great shot there. I like it. There is the case of being at the right place, right time, right condition and right moment. Good catch there :D
Take care,

Thanks Buddy. Then there's the case of being at the wrong place, at the wrong time, under the wrong conditions and at the wrong moment... and this can make some great photos if you can stand it! :no_see:

SET Man

« Reply #1124 on: 4 Aug 2010, 02:56 am »
Thanks Buddy. Then there's the case of being at the wrong place, at the wrong time, under the wrong conditions and at the wrong moment... and this can make some great photos if you can stand it! :no_see:

Hey!

Well, that's another way of looking at it :lol: Sometime unexpected bad condition give you great photograph :D

Take care,

nathanm

« Reply #1125 on: 4 Aug 2010, 02:37 pm »
Did everyone notice that?  Somebody posted a picture of a great big GUN and yet the earth continues to rotate!  Wha? Huh?  No 20-page thread of arguments, no sister thread of pontification about the implications of the first thread, no threats to close the Eye-Fidelity circle...I'm so proud of you guys! :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #1126 on: 4 Aug 2010, 02:39 pm »
It's only the lens that makes it look that way.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #1127 on: 4 Aug 2010, 02:46 pm »

Had you not said that was rain I might have guessed post processing.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #1128 on: 4 Aug 2010, 02:48 pm »
The guy standing outside doesn't appear to be wet and I don't see any effort on his part to take cover.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #1129 on: 4 Aug 2010, 02:52 pm »
Did everyone notice that?  Somebody posted a picture of a great big GUN and yet the earth continues to rotate!  Wha? Huh?  No 20-page thread of arguments, no sister thread of pontification about the implications of the first thread, no threats to close the Eye-Fidelity circle...I'm so proud of you guys! :thumb:

There's a quiet mutiny going on inside my head, but I am determined not to speak of it; after all it was I who posted the image. :o

Scott F.

« Reply #1130 on: 5 Aug 2010, 12:13 am »
Cell phone cameras have come a loooong way.

When I pulled up from work this evening, I found this little guy sitting on my retaining wall. He let me get up close and personal for five or six shots from my Sprint Evo cell phone.

mgalusha

« Reply #1131 on: 5 Aug 2010, 03:03 am »

When I pulled up from work this evening, I found this little guy sitting on my retaining wall. He let me get up close and personal for five or six shots from my Sprint Evo cell phone.

Not just the phone, the person taking it as well. I get perhaps 1 in 10 decent photos with my Evo. Sometimes they are quite good but more often than not pretty bad. Nice shot Scott.

Construct

« Reply #1132 on: 5 Aug 2010, 05:14 am »

That is a really crisp shot!  It seems like just yesterday (ok, 2000)  that photogs were saying digital could never replace film and that the quality will never be the same.  That photo is very vivid: like a high end cam just a couple years ago.  We have arrived.

bside123

« Reply #1133 on: 5 Aug 2010, 05:53 am »
The guy standing outside doesn't appear to be wet and I don't see any effort on his part to take cover.

Regarding the photo taken in the downpour, like in so many sub-tropical countries during the rainy season, the rain will all of sudden without notice burst forth. I was fortunate enough to be sitting on the passenger side (which in this country is a on the left) in the front seat. This was the first pic I shot immediately as the rain hit, and I attempted to shoot several more, but none of them were nearly as dramatic. Traffic was at a standstill, the guy in the red shirt had no time to take cover let alone cross the street. Everything, but the traffic jam, was in motion, and I was only lucky enough to capture the moment. Kind of looks like a painting.

charmerci

« Reply #1134 on: 5 Aug 2010, 08:11 am »
Not just the phone, the person taking it as well. I get perhaps 1 in 10 decent photos with my Evo. Sometimes they are quite good but more often than not pretty bad. Nice shot Scott.

That's the world of photography - whether your a professional or not. Well, maybe if you're a professional, it's not 1 out of 10 - but nonetheless they take a lot more photos than you'll ever see.

Scott F.

« Reply #1135 on: 5 Aug 2010, 11:39 am »
That's true about taking more pictures than you will ever see. That is the one thing about digital that I love. No more wasting film and developing fees hoping for that perfect shot. Between the preview screen and Adobe, you can have some stunning shots.

That pic was taken at a distance of about 6". I was really surprised he let me get so close without flying off. Other than that, all I did was crop the shot and some very minor color leveling (I used the auto-level). The base picture wasn't too far from what you see.

Mike, I've found the shots taken outside are usually pretty darned good. It's when you go into a low light situation that things get iffy. I'm still trying to figure out shooting indoors with the Evo. The thing I'm loving is I can snap (mostly) a decent shot and immediately email it. That's a feature I use at work all the time being in the construction industry (engineering).

mgalusha

« Reply #1136 on: 5 Aug 2010, 02:32 pm »
I've found the shots taken outside are usually pretty darned good. It's when you go into a low light situation that things get iffy. I'm still trying to figure out shooting indoors with the Evo. The thing I'm loving is I can snap (mostly) a decent shot and immediately email it. That's a feature I use at work all the time being in the construction industry (engineering).

No question being able to take lots of shots at no cost makes a big difference. I have found that good outside light really helps with the Evo shots. Most of mine have been indoors, grandkids, cats and such. It does do pretty decent in the florescent light of my shop oddly enough.

These two were taken with the Evo phone, the first one is a picture of a dac board and the second is a VTA Dynaco ST-70 with some of Kevin Carter's CCS boards, the V-Twin looking bits. Not great but I was quite surprised.

Scott F.

« Reply #1137 on: 5 Aug 2010, 03:16 pm »
<snip> Not great but I was quite surprised.

Yep, me too. For a cell phone, it is way beyond my expectations.

I really think it's capability is light source dependent. That and it sometimes has minor issues with focus and depth of field on closeup shots. But again, for a cell phone, the pictures it takes are pretty darned good. I'll be using mine more often than not, unlike my old phones.

CELT in AR

• Space Doggy
« Reply #1138 on: 5 Aug 2010, 03:53 pm »
Pretty dang impressive! I have a Samsung Vue that if the light's just right, can make some pretty nice looking pics. For all others, I use a Nikon L20.

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #1139 on: 5 Aug 2010, 05:57 pm »
Scott's dragonfly pic reminded me about my old pic!
Here is a pic taken ages ago with a Konika Minolta Dimage XT 3mega pix digital camera

f 3.6 @ 1/125 sec without flash