Picture Of The Day

BradJudy

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #380 on: 4 Apr 2008, 02:45 pm »
Either place my buddies and I go, that's what we'll be doing.  How was the snow when you were there? 

It looks like it was May 17 when we were there - basically no snow left:

« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2008, 02:16 pm by BradJudy »

BradJudy

« Reply #381 on: 4 Apr 2008, 02:50 pm »
Where, specifically, was that last photo taken? The family and I will be going west this summer for vacation. I was thinking about Sand Dunes National Park, but your last pic may sway my decision.

Sand Dunes is a neat short visit, but I don't think it's interesting to spend much time there.  It's a good stop on the way to other locations like Mesa Verde. 

Sand Dunes NP:

Between Sand Dunes NP and Mesa Verde is the lesser known Chimney Rock Arch Site:

And Mesa Verde near the four corners:

« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2008, 02:16 pm by BradJudy »

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #382 on: 4 Apr 2008, 03:46 pm »
Hello

been looking at the pic's of the day do you think it would be possible  list the camera / lens that you use to take the pic's ? I'm curious what equipment you used to take them in general.

SET Man

« Reply #383 on: 6 Apr 2008, 03:36 am »
Hey!

ooheadsoo, very nice set of photos there. :D Look like you had a fun trip there especially for picture taking. :D

Thanks for sharing. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #384 on: 6 Apr 2008, 06:57 am »
Great shot, BradJudy.  I only see the first sand dune pic.

Thanks, Buddy.  I'm just trying to have fun with the camera, since I dumped so much money into it.  My aunts just went to Death Valley for 3 days (got back 2 days ago or so) and took some amazing shots.  One of them is an avid photographer (and traveler, climbed Everest, Kilimanjaro, first woman on Antarctica etc etc) and I haven't seen her photos yet - but tonight, I saw the pictures that one of my non-photographer aunts took on her little $180 pocket sized (actually, you could probably fit 4 of these in your coat pocket with ease) point and shoot and they blew me away.  I am shamed.   :cry:  Granted my world traveling aunt dragged them up at 5am so they all got shots at prime times, but even so, the composition was good as well as the absolutely perfect exposure between rocks, earth, and sky.  Unprocessed, right from the camera!  :cry:

I'm using a Nikon D40.  The Death Valley telephoto pics were with my friend's Nikon 55-200VR and the wider angles of Bryce were with the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8.

Looks like I'll be going to Death Valley again.  Weather will be getting a tad on the hot side, but not terrible, yet.  I hope to be able to "camp" at a campground to save money.  Will probably spend a day there, a day at Sequoia NP, and that's basically it.

As for the canyon shots, those were taken at Bryce Canyon NP, in Utah, right next to Zion NP.  They're a killer pair about an hour's drive from each other.  I don't think there will be snow to speak of during the summer, but it'll be perfect for many of the hikes, I would guess especially in Zion.  The snow I encountered in Bryce was potentially fatal in tennis shoes. 

I'll be trying to shoot more shots with the sigma wide angle oriented vertically on the next trip.  Unfortunately, unless you view them at full res, they just seem like narrow crops of a regular frame.

BradJudy

« Reply #385 on: 6 Apr 2008, 02:18 pm »
Great shot, BradJudy.  I only see the first sand dune pic.

I updated the URLs from PicasaWeb, so hopefully they show up again now.  Those must be somewhat temporary or dynamic, although yours continue to work. 

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #386 on: 9 Apr 2008, 10:00 pm »
MiB...

Well no, not really, this is the current government in Norway...
This picture was so cool, well for me anyway, so I just had to post it here!!!  :thumb:

The Prime Minister, Jens Stoltenberg, to the left there says "My specs, give!"

So anyway, this was just for an interview in a paper, and they are being portrayed here as sort of
MiB on a coffe break...

Or are they really... ?  aa

Look into the screen please...  8)
Imperial
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2008, 12:07 am by Imperial »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #387 on: 9 Apr 2008, 10:08 pm »
I give, Imperial - what am I supposed to see, except a remarkably real-looking person (for a Prime Minister)?

Imperial

« Reply #388 on: 9 Apr 2008, 10:13 pm »
It's the Prime Minister! Jens Stoltenberg.
Ok. It is unusual for them to take part in such a staged shot.
But, it just was so cool!!  :thumb:

It's from a portrait interview about him.
The punchline for the article is:
"Who the fuck in the government said that?"

Then the picture has the tagline: "My specs, give!!" ...

Norway has always been accused of being an American nuchslep... Really we are!
So in the interview he says. "I Watch West Wing and The President, the shows you know..."

This dude is VERY far from timid...

How can I put this. He reminds me of Donald Trump mixed in with David Letterman.
That's basically what one is up against.

The people in debates and stuff have at him...
He just leans back, smiles, and is totally unfazed...

So in real life this man is coolness incarnate!!! It must bug the shit out of the opposition that you just
cannot get this man to easily loose his cool! But when he does... hehe, that is Donald Trump for ya.
He's got that same look in the eyes, the same sort of expression that Trump has...

A couple of weeks ago he had to fire some ministers... so afterwards they asked him.
"So when you talked to n.n like, how was that talk then?"
He said... "I was angry" ...
This guy is just something out of a movie, he really is..  :thumb:

What does he do on his spare time? He says he some times plays war games online... Age of Empire, Red alert, and more to that!
The Russians have a nickname for him... "Steklov" that was one of their greatest mathematicians back a 100 years or so.
So he did what? He called himself "Steklov" while playing online games...
We are a peacefull nation. But we are also Vikings...  :D You see why he is our Prime Minister? Hehe!

Noel Lee is the Head Monster? Well, Jens is the Head Viking... nothin' to it..

Imperial
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2008, 11:37 pm by Imperial »

Imperial

« Reply #389 on: 10 Apr 2008, 08:51 am »
Oh yeah.. I forgot.. MiB = Ministers in Black (suits)...

:dance:

Imperial

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #390 on: 10 Apr 2008, 12:13 pm »
Either place my buddies and I go, that's what we'll be doing.  How was the snow when you were there? 

It looks like it was May 17 when we were there - basically no snow left:

Wait a second, I thought this was my picture (laugh!).  This is from the Sunrise point area, isn't it?  May be my memory is failing.  Nice!

bz79

• cz photography
« Reply #391 on: 10 Apr 2008, 08:15 pm »
Hey longtime lurker thought I'd finally register and post something.  So why not do it in one of my favorite spots, the photography section!

BradJudy

« Reply #392 on: 10 Apr 2008, 08:18 pm »
Good to see you here BZ. 

BZ does some high quality work, but different subjects than some folks here, so it should be a fun complement.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #393 on: 10 Apr 2008, 08:22 pm »
welcome bz79.
Nice pix, especially the second one, for me. I think I would have liked the first more if the butt end of the log was all in sharp focus.

bz79

• cz photography
« Reply #394 on: 10 Apr 2008, 08:26 pm »
Good to see you here BZ. 

BZ does some high quality work, but different subjects than some folks here, so it should be a fun complement.

Thanks!  I've been lurking for years now, but finally registered so I can click on peoples names without being told to register.  :D

bz79

• cz photography
« Reply #395 on: 10 Apr 2008, 08:32 pm »
welcome bz79.
Nice pix, especially the second one, for me. I think I would have liked the first more if the butt end of the log was all in sharp focus.

Understandable, I just really love using a large aperture on my Canon 85mm f/1.2L II and the effect it creates.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #396 on: 10 Apr 2008, 11:04 pm »
Well, I really like the effect on the fence wire.
That's a great shot in my books, and I do like photos that bring your attention to the unnoticed details that surround us.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #397 on: 11 Apr 2008, 05:33 am »
I really like those shots - how much post processing/dark room futzing?  Any filters?

bz79

• cz photography
« Reply #398 on: 11 Apr 2008, 02:21 pm »
I really like those shots - how much post processing/dark room futzing?  Any filters?

None and none.

Levi

« Reply #399 on: 11 Apr 2008, 03:33 pm »
Welcome BZ.  What lens did you use on the second shot?

It looks like a telephoto. Hmmm...