Picture Of The Day

bside123

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #3000 on: 7 May 2014, 01:13 pm »
gnuyork:

Nice! Shiny! What building is that? EXIF settings?

SET Man

« Reply #3001 on: 8 May 2014, 03:11 am »
^ SET Man - Great shots!

Buddy,
Great shots of the High Line park. and the newer additions too. Keep shootin, film and digital bud!

Hey!

Thanks guys. As long as I can still get films and can afford it I will continue to shoot films.  :D

OK Buddy, which one of those window panes is 18% gray?  8)

I vote this one:

You guys are killing me! :lol:

Anyway, talking about 18% gray. That's something always on my mind all the time when I go taking picture especially when I'm shooting with film.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #3002 on: 8 May 2014, 03:49 am »
Hi Buddy,

I lived in NYC for several years... it is a fantasy land for good photographs. Whatever one could/couldn't imagine can happen in New York, and as far as culture goes... it is one of the capitols of the world. You can have every country right in your back yard.

Buddy, I'll bet you have a treasures worth of Minolta, Sony and A-mount glass!

Regards,

Din

Hey!

Din, how long ago were you in NYC?

I've been here in NYC since 1988. I spent 3/4 of my life here so far. Currently I'm in Queens and yes there are people from every countries in the world here. Can't think of anywhere else in the world like here.

As for A-mount. Well, I do have a few primes and zooms in my arsenal. Maybe too many for any practical use, most of the time I would just grab my two usual zooms and I'm good. As of right now I have...

Minolta's primes and zooms... 20mm f2.8, 24mm f2.8, 28mm f2, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.7, 100mm f2.8 Macro D, 135mm f2.8, 17-35mm f2.8-4, 28-70mm f2.8 (G) Sony's Zeiss 24-70mm f2.8 and 80-200mm f2.8 (G) Tokina 28-70mm f2.6-2.8 Pro ( 1st Angenieux version)... I might sell the last one.

Sorry, I've gone full geek on this since I don't get to talk to another A-mount user often. Still there are a few more that I wish to add in to my arsenal... only if I had money. :roll:

The only sad part about this as an A-mount who also still shooting film is that Sony doesn't make any film body. So, I'm pretty much stuck with my 2 latest Minolta film bodies that I bought of which are now 14 years old  :?

Din, if you ever coming to NYC anytime soon, do drop me a line. We can do a photo walk and museums. :D

Take care,

JakeJ

« Reply #3003 on: 8 May 2014, 10:52 am »
Buddy,

I'm down with fellow members posting in this circle, you have an excellent artistic eye and you bend your medium of choice to your will with equal artistic application.  I have perused your Flickr account on more than one occasion and find it most entertaining.  Keep up the good work.  Thank you!

Jake

bside123

« Reply #3004 on: 8 May 2014, 11:13 pm »
It's that time of year... old school style photo of blowing out the pipes of a small town.

Blowing Out The Pipes
« Last Edit: 9 May 2014, 12:24 am by bside123 »

bside123

« Reply #3005 on: 8 May 2014, 11:40 pm »
Hey!

Din, how long ago were you in NYC?

I've been here in NYC since 1988. I spent 3/4 of my life here so far. Currently I'm in Queens and yes there are people from every countries in the world here. Can't think of anywhere else in the world like here.

As for A-mount. Well, I do have a few primes and zooms in my arsenal. Maybe too many for any practical use, most of the time I would just grab my two usual zooms and I'm good. As of right now I have...

Minolta's primes and zooms... 20mm f2.8, 24mm f2.8, 28mm f2, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.7, 100mm f2.8 Macro D, 135mm f2.8, 17-35mm f2.8-4, 28-70mm f2.8 (G) Sony's Zeiss 24-70mm f2.8 and 80-200mm f2.8 (G) Tokina 28-70mm f2.6-2.8 Pro ( 1st Angenieux version)... I might sell the last one.

Sorry, I've gone full geek on this since I don't get to talk to another A-mount user often. Still there are a few more that I wish to add in to my arsenal... only if I had money. :roll:

The only sad part about this as an A-mount who also still shooting film is that Sony doesn't make any film body. So, I'm pretty much stuck with my 2 latest Minolta film bodies that I bought of which are now 14 years old  :?

Din, if you ever coming to NYC anytime soon, do drop me a line. We can do a photo walk and museums. :D

Take care,

PM Sent!

SET Man

« Reply #3006 on: 9 May 2014, 05:37 am »
Buddy,

I'm down with fellow members posting in this circle, you have an excellent artistic eye and you bend your medium of choice to your will with equal artistic application.  I have perused your Flickr account on more than one occasion and find it most entertaining.  Keep up the good work.  Thank you!

Jake

Hey!

Jake, wow thank you. I really appreciated your compliment and I'm glad that you enjoy my photos :D

Take care,

gnuyork

« Reply #3007 on: 9 May 2014, 12:09 pm »
gnuyork:

Nice! Shiny! What building is that? EXIF settings?

B side:

I am actually not sure how to export Exif data for viewing...but I just checked my setting in LR and they are as follows:

Dimensions: 2856 x 4272
Exposure 1/500 sec at f 6.3
Focal Length: 24mm (but on a cropped sensor FOV equiv of around 35mm)
ISO: 100
Flash did not fire -  yada yada

This was shot to Adobe DNG using my Leica X1 (Another fantastic little camera). Lately I'm into not carrying around big cameras  :thumb:

So this Shimmer image was of course manipulated in Adobe LR. I did my usual adjustments of contrast and curves to tatse etc, but I did in fact darken the sky for the effect I wanted to achieve, which was to highlight the brilliance of the building.

Oh and the building btw was somewhere in Chicago. I was there for a work trip and I always like to bring a camera with me and walk around getting pics. I have a whole portfolio of these types of shots of Chicago from going there throughout the years. I can post some more perhaps later.

bside123

« Reply #3008 on: 9 May 2014, 01:48 pm »
A recent, natural light portrait

Ruby Eyes

bside123

« Reply #3009 on: 9 May 2014, 02:17 pm »
B side:

I am actually not sure how to export Exif data for viewing...but I just checked my setting in LR and they are as follows:

Dimensions: 2856 x 4272
Exposure 1/500 sec at f 6.3
Focal Length: 24mm (but on a cropped sensor FOV equiv of around 35mm)
ISO: 100
Flash did not fire -  yada yada

This was shot to Adobe DNG using my Leica X1 (Another fantastic little camera). Lately I'm into not carrying around big cameras  :thumb:

So this Shimmer image was of course manipulated in Adobe LR. I did my usual adjustments of contrast and curves to tatse etc, but I did in fact darken the sky for the effect I wanted to achieve, which was to highlight the brilliance of the building.

Oh and the building btw was somewhere in Chicago. I was there for a work trip and I always like to bring a camera with me and walk around getting pics. I have a whole portfolio of these types of shots of Chicago from going there throughout the years. I can post some more perhaps later.

Thanks gnuyork. I'm also using Lightroom for most all my photo applications. Are you shooting in RAW outputting to DNG? This is what I do, and I find by the very nature of the RAW files themselves, they almost always need a little tweaking in post processing. I almost never use a RAW file "as it is" straight from the camera. Besides (no pun intended), based on the proprietary algorithm of the manufacture, every photo file is processed, more or less, to some degree when output from the camera. I like RAW, because I can make most of the decisions... at least I think so!

gnuyork

« Reply #3010 on: 9 May 2014, 04:07 pm »
Thanks gnuyork. I'm also using Lightroom for most all my photo applications. Are you shooting in RAW outputting to DNG? This is what I do, and I find by the very nature of the RAW files themselves, they almost always need a little tweaking in post processing. I almost never use a RAW file "as it is" straight from the camera. Besides (no pun intended), based on the proprietary algorithm of the manufacture, every photo file is processed, more or less, to some degree when output from the camera. I like RAW, because I can make most of the decisions... at least I think so!

Generally yes, I always shoot RAW too. The Leica X1 shoots Raw but writes the file as adobe DNG, so no proprietary wrapper for the Leica. No big difference other than the when editing in PS/LR metadata is written directly to the DNG files as opposed to making sidecar files like a Canon RAW file. With Leica DNG it's no different functionally than other RAw files. I get full control of all the function in lightroom.

And yes, I LOVE Lightroom. I have Photoshop as well, but I use it much less now that I got a handle on using LR.

I have been enjoying your photo posts as well as everybody's pics being posted here. It's nice to see different subjects, interests, and styles  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 9 May 2014, 06:26 pm by gnuyork »

JakeJ

« Reply #3011 on: 9 May 2014, 04:46 pm »
gnuyork,

Have you considered a Flickr account to upload your images to?  Flickr seems to do the least damage to the file compared to Photobucket.

Just a thought.

Jake

gnuyork

« Reply #3012 on: 9 May 2014, 06:24 pm »
gnuyork,

Have you considered a Flickr account to upload your images to?  Flickr seems to do the least damage to the file compared to Photobucket.

Just a thought.

Jake

Hi Jake. Do my photos appear damaged when I post them?

I think a Flickr or Tumblr account would be a good idea at some point. For years I have been meaning to make my own photo website, but I really push that off. Not looking forward to doing that - but I need to.

Thanks for the recommendation. Any thoughts on Flickr vs Tumblr?

JakeJ

« Reply #3013 on: 9 May 2014, 07:37 pm »
I do not see any damage to your photos here on AC but the site software does some resolution reduction to save on server load and space.  My reference was directly aimed at the difference between Flickr and Photobucket.  I have no experience or knowledge of Tumblr so hopefully a member that does can chime in.  I believe a member posted that Photobucket alters the file and that Flickr doesn't so I recently opened a Flickr account and have a few pictures there.  I also have a Photobucket account but plan to migrate some lazy Sunday afternoon.

Start and maintain your own photo website?  Sounds expensive and a bit troublesome.  I have never paid a dime for Photobucket or Flickr.  I'm a cheap bastard, though.  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3014 on: 9 May 2014, 08:30 pm »
I've had Photobucket for many years, both the payed and free versions. I've always been more than happy with the service.
I've *heard* that PB compresses the photos (???), but my pics aren't sharp enough to notice a bit of compression anyway.  :lol:
Bottom line (for me), is that I've got 1500 or so pics on PB, and have no reason to leave. I know zero about Flikr.

...for what it's worth.
Bob

gnuyork

« Reply #3015 on: 9 May 2014, 08:46 pm »
I do not see any damage to your photos here on AC but the site software does some resolution reduction to save on server load and space.  My reference was directly aimed at the difference between Flickr and Photobucket.

OK, I see. I am actually uploading files directly from my own server and then creating a jpg link. I do my own compression, however, so my files are compressed far from the originals. I think they look OK for web viewing (I hope).

Start and maintain your own photo website?  Sounds expensive and a bit troublesome.  I have never paid a dime for Photobucket or Flickr.  I'm a cheap bastard, though.  :thumb:

Not too bad for expense. I am not a web designer however, so I would just use a wordpress template and go from there. Not really looking forward to it though. I do have (much) graphic design experience, but only for print. I don't do websites, but hopefully I can figure it out. Wordpress templates are free to cheap, so not much expense in that. I already pay for hosting, and that's pretty cheap too. In fact I am probably wasting value by not having a website.

bside123

« Reply #3016 on: 9 May 2014, 09:01 pm »
I've done all three: 1) my own server, 2) Photobucket, 3) Flickr.

For my needs, I find that Flickr is the easiest, best IQ, fast and most flexible. I've recently been exploring 500px.com. The presentation and workspace flow of the photos are great. IQ is real good... as a matter of fact, better than Flickr, but I am definitely not sold on their "community."

BTW. for image quality, I believe that Fllckr bests Photobucket... hands down. YMMV

gnuyork

« Reply #3017 on: 10 May 2014, 03:08 am »

For my needs, I find that Flickr is the easiest, best IQ, fast and most flexible. I've recently been exploring 500px.com. The presentation and workspace flow of the photos are great. IQ is real good... as a matter of fact, better than Flickr, but I am definitely not sold on their "community."

BTW. for image quality, I believe that Fllckr bests Photobucket... hands down. YMMV
Ah...500pix seems sort like instagram but more... I actually have an instagram account. I have been refusing the social media thing forever, and I told myself i would at least try instagram because it's photography related. It's OK for what it is. Still no facebook/twitter for me though....

SET Man

« Reply #3018 on: 10 May 2014, 03:20 am »

Hey!

I too still like Flickr, and its got a good community and etc there. But I have to say 500px is impressive... hmm, not sure if I want to migrate there.

For most parts Flickr is just fine.

Take care,

bside123

« Reply #3019 on: 10 May 2014, 03:20 am »
Ah...500pix seems sort like instagram but more... I actually have an instagram account. I have been refusing the social media thing forever, and I told myself i would at least try instagram because it's photography related. It's OK for what it is. Still no facebook/twitter for me though....

Same for me... no Twitter, no Facebook, no Instagram, no Linkedin, etc.

AC and Flickr is as close as it gets. Sometime, but rarely, I buy or sell something on eBay or Audiogon. Again rarely, I'll watcih something on YouTube. Also... No commercial or Network Television.

Gratefully, I've had a very positive experience with AudioCircle.  :D