Picture Of The Day

bside123

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #2980 on: 3 May 2014, 12:05 am »

Truth to be told. I do envy you seeing your travel photos  :green: I don't travel much, kindna stuck here in NYC. But the good thing is that NYC is a great city, there's always something to see and experience. There's no deer or wild life here... beside dogs on the street, cats on window sills and rats in subway  :icon_lol: But I have to say New Yorkers, of which some are pretty wild made up for that.  :lol:

Also, Din it is good to see a fellow A-mount user in the mix here :D And FYI.... camera used that day was Minolta Maxxum 7 with Sony's Zeiss 24-70mm f2.8 and Sony 70-200mm f2.8 G (G lenses and some primes still made by Minolta for Sony I think). Film was Kodak T-Max 400. Digital conversion via Epson V550 scanner and Lightroom 4.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Hi Buddy,

I lived in NYC for several years... it is a fantasy land for good photographs. Whatever one could/couldn't imagine can happen in New York, and as far as culture goes... it is one of the capitols of the world. You can have every country right in your back yard.

Buddy, I'll bet you have a treasures worth of Minolta, Sony and A-mount glass!

Regards,

Din

bside123

« Reply #2981 on: 3 May 2014, 12:19 am »
In front of the Chocolate Museum on the Rhein River in Cologne/Köln, Germany.

Chocolate Easter Bunny Fantasy

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #2982 on: 3 May 2014, 12:21 am »

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #2983 on: 3 May 2014, 12:22 am »

jjdog2

« Reply #2984 on: 3 May 2014, 07:33 pm »

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #2985 on: 3 May 2014, 08:28 pm »
I feel for you. I lost my black lab (Greta Lynn) two years ago. I still miss her dearly. I even took a personal day from work on the day she died this year and last. She had cancer, and I didn't know it. I thought she had problems with Arthritis. I had scheduled her to see our vet on a Monday, but she went down hill so quickly on the weekend that I took her to the Emergency vets, still not knowing what was wrong with her. Turns out she had an enlarged spleen. They kept her overnight to see the doctor the next day. That's when I got the call that she had Lymphoma. Still the Vet said we could try a new low dose non invasive Chemo treatment. I was willing to do ANYTHING. She was administered her first treatment and she went into cardiac arrest. The doc said the cancer must have spread into her nervous system. I was crushed, and still am to this day.

It's sad to think that her last few days were stuck overnight in a kennel, not knowing what the hell was going on. I did actually sit with her in the kennel the first night we left her there, then I saw her again the next morning when I went in to talk to the Vet before her treatment. Her tail wagged for me, but it pains me deeply to think she might have been scared and alone in a strange place.

I seriously thought she was gonna come home with us soon. I took off work and cried for a week straight.

Here is the last picture I ever took of her. She enjoyed sitting at the top on our hill of a driveway just watching things like a Sentry. She could do it for hours.

It is heartbreaking to say good-bye to these dear souls - they are true companions and so full of unconditional love. I still miss my Big Guy, Apollo, to this very day. He was a little over 12 years old and he too, succumbed to cancer - he has being gone now for over 10 years.  We noticed that he was having difficulties breathing one day and took him over to the vets for a check up. The vet came into the waiting room with the x-rays and said that it was very serious as Apollo had a tumour in his chest and that it had ruptured, he also said that we could do nothing for him. I remember dying a little bit inside that day.

Apollo, in his later years did not like the vets so euthanizing him at the vet's office was out of the question and we had the vet come out to our home. We had a quiet afternoon with Apollo - I was rubbing his head and telling him how much I loved him and what a good boy he was when the vet gave him the injection. I was looking into Apollo's eyes as they clouded over and the vet said the he was gone - my Big Guy was no longer suffering.

When the time comes, you must do what is right for them and not for you.

Be well...

gnuyork

« Reply #2986 on: 3 May 2014, 11:09 pm »
It is heartbreaking to say good-bye to these dear souls - they are true companions and so full of unconditional love. I still miss my Big Guy, Apollo, to this very day. He was a little over 12 years old and he too, succumbed to cancer - he has being gone now for over 10 years.  We noticed that he was having difficulties breathing one day and took him over to the vets for a check up. The vet came into the waiting room with the x-rays and said that it was very serious as Apollo had a tumour in his chest and that it had ruptured, he also said that we could do nothing for him. I remember dying a little bit inside that day.

Apollo, in his later years did not like the vets so euthanizing him at the vet's office was out of the question and we had the vet come out to our home. We had a quiet afternoon with Apollo - I was rubbing his head and telling him how much I loved him and what a good boy he was when the vet gave him the injection. I was looking into Apollo's eyes as they clouded over and the vet said the he was gone - my Big Guy was no longer suffering.

When the time comes, you must do what is right for them and not for you.

Be well...

Goodness, that was sad too. Thanks for your story.

bside123

« Reply #2987 on: 4 May 2014, 12:01 am »

Hi Bob1: I also enjoy finding the artistic forms that are all around us in the simple things that we live with, use and love. Good eye for patterns and forms on your sailboat.

Likewise, here's a shot of an old, vintage field disc that's been laying around the weeds of our farm for over 60 years.

Discs

gnuyork

« Reply #2988 on: 4 May 2014, 02:43 pm »

bside123

« Reply #2989 on: 4 May 2014, 03:14 pm »
Hu gnuyork: Is the "Theatre In The Square" pic taken with your Sigma Dp2 Merrill? Again... nice light and great IQ. Wish I could see the originals. Seems like an incredible camera for architecture and landscapes, etc.

BTW, one of my favorite Telecasters is the "Nocaster"... an original of course, but the reissue, Custom Shop that was reintroduced in the 90s was killer.  Interesting story about the guitar's history as well. :thumb:

Jon L

« Reply #2990 on: 4 May 2014, 04:45 pm »
EOSE1890cro by drjlo1, on Flickr
« Last Edit: 6 May 2014, 04:14 pm by Jon L »

PeteG

« Reply #2991 on: 4 May 2014, 07:48 pm »
Spring is finally here.

Owlets were tiny two weeks ago, couldn't believe how big they got.

Eaglet in the nest.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2992 on: 5 May 2014, 01:49 am »

PeteG

« Reply #2993 on: 5 May 2014, 01:56 am »
Thunderbrick, Going down to Pensacola beach in July to watch the Blue Angels. Hope to have a great time.

gnuyork

« Reply #2994 on: 5 May 2014, 05:28 pm »
Hu gnuyork: Is the "Theatre In The Square" pic taken with your Sigma Dp2 Merrill? Again... nice light and great IQ. Wish I could see the originals. Seems like an incredible camera for architecture and landscapes, etc.

BTW, one of my favorite Telecasters is the "Nocaster"... an original of course, but the reissue, Custom Shop that was reintroduced in the 90s was killer.  Interesting story about the guitar's history as well. :thumb:

B side - yep, that image was from the Merrill. I do like it a lot, but it has it's quirks, that's for sure. And a Nocaster (original or CS) would be my top choice tele. In fact I almost bought one a few years ago (CS), but ended up picking up a Goldtop instead. I don't regret that one bit, however I have aways wanted a tele. Guess that's why I am building an esquire right now. Some sort of tele will be next if my attempt on the esquire is successful.

jjdog2

« Reply #2995 on: 5 May 2014, 07:28 pm »
Spring is finally here.

Nice bird shots Pete.    :thumb:

Another one from the Outer Banks.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #2996 on: 6 May 2014, 12:40 pm »

Be well...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2997 on: 7 May 2014, 12:31 am »
Bob, nice shot of the Blue Angels!
Looks like we were at the same place at the same time.
I was feeling bad about the dust blobs in my camera until I saw your photo.  :lol:

Ok then...how about some constructive criticism on this shot (other than the dust):

gnuyork

« Reply #2998 on: 7 May 2014, 11:30 am »
Shimmer

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2999 on: 7 May 2014, 12:29 pm »
 :o  That's fantastic!   :thumb: